IGNORED

Has gaming gone to your head?

vamecum

When i first got Amplitude i played it for stupid amounts of time.Playing it right before bed left my head in a crazy state, When i closed my eye's i could see multicoloured roads leading up into the distance, I was in a dream like state and i felt like i was half asleep but still fully aware what was going one around me, Yet i couldn't stop seeing these multicoloured bars.I eventually gave up on games right before bed, Until i got...

FFXI.Again playing this before bed for the first week or so left me in the half asleep half awake state, Expect this time i was in a constant battle with an unknown foe.It eventually wore off and i have normal dreams now.

since i've been playing Beyond Good and Evil, whenever i see something in the distance i tend to imagine zooming in and firing purple energy disks at it, same with peopple who have their backs to me - zap! disk in the back, and they fly up into the sky with green smoke pissing out their ears.

When i first got Amplitude i played it for stupid amounts of time.Playing it right before bed left my head in a crazy state, When i closed my eye's i could see multicoloured roads leading up into the distance, I was in a dream like state and i felt like i was half asleep but still fully aware what was going one around me, Yet i couldn't stop seeing these multicoloured bars.I eventually gave up on games right before bed...

Oh yes. A friend and I were walking down the street after playing that and kept seeing massive rhythm patterns on the road. Rhythm action games in general are as bad as tetris for getting into your head; first night I played Gitaroo Man I couldn't sleep becasue I saw the trace line moving round and round relentlessly in my head, and every time the pipes went in the house it sounded like the insane metallic drum sequence from the sixth level... and so on.

Obviously had the tetris one too, but also i have been walking round corners on the racing line since the original Mario Kart. there's loads more, but they're clichéd :rolleyes:

I had nightmares the first time I got to the Predators in Aliens Vs Predator on PC.

I kept waking up in the middle of the night thinking the 'standby' light on my stereo was the Predator's tracking laser targeting my head.

It was terrifying.

first night I played Gitaroo Man I couldn't sleep becasue I saw the trace line moving round and round relentlessly in my head, and every time the pipes went in the house it sounded like the insane metallic drum sequence from the sixth level...

What she says is true -- she wouldn't let me get to bloody sleep. When finally she finally entered snooze-land I could feel her thumb scratching at the bedding in time to the noises the pipes were making.

:rolleyes:

I had a friend, normal-as-can-be, good-at-school kinda guy. Come our penultime-year exams and we are all standing outside the examination hall, nervous as hell, and he stands there smiling to himself with this inner calm. Suddenly this look of shock and nervous came on to his face.

Turns out he had been banking on hitting F7 prior to going into the examination, and just quick-loading if he cocked it up. He had been playing a lot of Half-Life.

I think this has happened to me, but I kept trying to hit 'F' for flashlight whenever my mates & I went walking in the woods. I have also reached for the white-button on occassion.

Ooooh, anyone remember Legend of the Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon's first boss, Giant Conga Head (the N64 version, that is)? That thing gave me nightmares. I mean, this particular game messes with one's head anyway due to the sheer overwhelming oddness of it all, but it's not usually genuinely frightening...

I had a friend, normal-as-can-be, good-at-school kinda guy. Come our penultime-year exams and we are all standing outside the examination hall, nervous as hell, and he stands there smiling to himself with this inner calm. Suddenly this look of shock and nervous came on to his face.

Turns out he had been banking on hitting F7 prior to going into the examination, and just quick-loading if he cocked it up. He had been playing a lot of Half-Life.

Same happened with me, I'd been playing HL until about 15 minutes before work for two weeks solid, then I'd arrive, and I'd think stuff like "well, it's okay if I drop those pricey melons there, I can quicklo... hang on, what the fuck?!" :D

Playing too much GT one day, I got in my driving instructor's car and started driving about, and it took a lot of concentration to remember that you upshift *well before* the redline in a family saloon...

The worst recent one was when I got really into Cid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and started dreaming of world domination, etc.

I often see blue vans with 'GTA Transport' written on them around my area. This just flips my brain into Liberty City mode and the next thing you know, I've tried to carjack someone.

Well, everything except the carjacking is true.

After playing the original Jet Set Radio, I'd walk around town all day, and look at rails, and imagine. Then I'd look up at the sky and think 'if I can just get onto THIS rooftop, and surely THAT rooftop is a shoe-in.

Also, I don't recommend playing Wipeout 2097 furiously, and then hopping into a car to drive. Very bad idea. No airbrakes, you see.

I've also succomed to theb post-puzzle game fever. Hours of multiplayer bust-a-move for days in a row at my old uni flat. I'd go to sleep and see bursting colourfull spheres... impossible to sleep...

My problem with Tetris is that I don't just see blocks, I arrange my thoughts into them. My mind becomes so consumed with Tetris that I'm constantly playing a game in my head, and any other thoughts become blocks. "Oh, I have to go shopping later, that's a T block, stick it over there. Oh, that guy really pisses me off. He's a long block, bam Tetris, nice one".

I had a similar thing with Mario's Picross (a fantastic game, incidentally), I'd equate thoughts with numbers on the side of the grid.

After a weekend playing Burnout 2, the mentality for driving cars was changed so much than when we played GTA VC for a break we still kept skimming cars to get a Burnout. Didn't work in VC though.

After playing the original Jet Set Radio, I'd walk around town all day, and look at rails, and imagine. Then I'd look up at the sky and think 'if I can just get onto THIS rooftop, and surely THAT rooftop is a shoe-in.

Oh yeah.

After playing Tony Hawk 2 on my DC at Uni for days on end (while being rather caned), all I could see when walking around outside where lines to grind and combo off.

I haven't had all that many, apart from after playing an intensive session of F-Zero GX I came on here. As I scrolled I kept thinking 'fucking hell, I'm going too slow, I'll be overtaken now...'. And then I punched myself for the stupidity.

Another one I've just remembered was after playing Operation Flashpoint for about 5 hours non-stop. There was a helicopter flying overhead as I was walking to the shop, and I was thinking, 'quick, I need to get out the AA launcher before it disappears over the houses!'

I often find myself walking around the house in the style of Sam Fischer. It really does work you can sneak up on people, but I've not quite got to the stage where I hit them over the head with the butt of my gun yet.

Jet set radio also usually has some effect on me, as does phantasy star online - I walk/run round the house all funny like i'm holding a MASSIVE gun.

That reminds me, when Metal Gear Solid first came out I'd run around the house to the toilet or to get myself a drink in the style of snake for a bit of fun.

I was amazed to find myself still doing this when I played Twin Snakes a few months ago.

Yeah I've had post-puzzle syndrome too, most notably after playing Chu Chu Rocket. I can see lots of mice running around in my head and I have to quickly place down arrows.

I was playing Age of Mythology last night before I went to bed and in one of my dreams me and some of my friends got into a fight. My perspective in my dream suddenly changed so that it looked like the camera angle from an RTS game and we all began to fight like characters from AOM, with little health bars above our heads.

I've returned to an old deathmatch setup for Quake 3 - which my brother and I christened "SuperDeathmatch" - where you fill a map full to the brim with bots. It is completely mad and after we'd finished playing it on the LAN we still saw frozen images of gibs and explosions when we closed our eyes...we still had the searing sound of the high-speed chaingun mod we downloaded ringing in our ears.

I've gone back to SuperDeathmatch now, only with the Excessive Q3A mod on as well. Painful.

After first getting GTA:VC and then when driving there was actully a pretty dangerous situation I almost caused. I was just driving along and I saw one of those big trucks with a ramp at the back which in VC I would always automatically speed up on and jump off and for a split second that was actully what I was going to do I was convinced that I would just jump off the top and it would be allright.

Thankfully I realised that this was a quick way to kill myself but for a spolit second I was totally convinced that this was a natural thing to do. And they say games don't kill people. Pffft.