IGNORED

Has gaming gone to your head?

vamecum

I've just had a night of mario kart:dd with my friends. Now I'm sitting in front of my computer all I can hear is the fan of my system + the red-shell-warning sound from mario kart. It is driving me nuts...

Anyone else experienced after-game syndromes after long play?

I swear to god, the amount of times I've done something in real life than instinctively gone to rewind the before the incident (ala POP: SOT) is just scary. I've been truly troubled by it recently.

Not least because I move to press the rewind button on an invisible PS2 pad.

My dreams are quite often influenced by games I've been playing. I finnished Deus Ex 2 last night and had two seperate dreams involving sniper rifles and (not quite) super human abilities. It's much more disturbing when it crosses over to real life, although it's only happend with Tetris for me.

I get this occasionally, mainly when I buy a really good game and play it for a few hours before bed. I remember when I first got Advance Wars, I would spend and hour or two on it before bed and wouldn't be able to get to sleep because of the 'buzz'. I'm sure there's a comparison to be had with obsessive compulsive disorder, where you repeat certain actions by reflex. Without the external object with which you were interacting, these compulsions are internalised and you get the effect we've all described.

I often suffer from a general gittery nevousness after extended mulitplayer Halo session and the constant sound of the shield alarm in my head... must be all the adrenaline! Also had puzzle game dreams... tetris colums baku baku have all had a place in my REM as well as nights in to the dreams, which is an obvious REM game :)

Cheers

Quexex

I used to wake up after dreaming about Advance Wars and realise how to beat the battle I was stuck on. Scary stuff.

I've never woken up like that, but often drifted off to sleep thinking how to solve some puzzle in a game I'm stuck at.

I played Gradius Advance too much one day and put it down to read a magazine.

I read the magazine in the manner of playing a side-scrolling shooter. It's a very hard thing to describe, but I read left-hand columns in a frenzy before they could "slip off the page", and grabbed boxouts like they were powerups.

I played Gradius Advance too much one day and put it down to read a magazine.

I read the magazine in the manner of playing a side-scrolling shooter. It's a very hard thing to describe, but I read left-hand columns in a frenzy before they could "slip off the page", and grabbed boxouts like they were powerups.

insane.jpg

Ban request: too cliché.

ban request: thinks hes hardcore.

what is this? an art house games forum.

Right tell you what I'll think of a really hardcore obscure game that none here will have played, and claim that it really affected my life, then will you accept me.

Duke Nukem 3d multiplayer. After some seriously long sessions on this in my Uni days I started to assume my alarm clock was analogous to the trip mine warning you heard just before you got gibbed to bits.

Not the most pleasant way to wake up let me tell you.

ban request: thinks hes hardcore.

what is this? an art house games forum.

Right tell you what I'll think of a really hardcore obscure game that none here will have played, and claim that it really affected my life, then will you accept me.

ban request: too touchy

After too much time spent playing Pandora Tommorow Multiplayer I'd walk round town, looking at nearby buildings and seeing how far up the pipes went, and wondering if they'd support my weight if I tried to shimmy up them.

Plus I recently heard an unrelated whirring noise and started looking around for a Sticky Camera ready to gas me. <_<

Tetris again, in two specific instances: I once caught myself mentally flipping people around into lines as they came up the stairs on the bus. And at home, suddenly realised I'd been imagining the furniture stacked up so there were no spaces between them.

More recently, after playing through Ikaruga, I found myself trying to chain the various sandwiches choices in Tescos. If that makes any kind of sense.

I've had the obvious Tetris shapes falling down on the wall and the Advance Wars grid-o-vision going on in my head.

Also, as mentioned on Games Central the other day, after the yearly Tony Hawk's update and playing for god knows how many hours you're looking at everything in the street and in the house to create grinds and string combos - kerb, wall, tree branch, roof top, telephone line. Shenmue affected my brain in weird ways too, going into the local small town and watching people mill about was a strange experience after playing. No load screens when I entered the shops though.

I also discovered about 6-7 years back that playing the original GTA on the PC before going on your driving test isn't the best idea - there was a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I wanted to mount the kerb <_<

I had the Tetris one, too! I could see the shapes and would imagine turning them & getting them in the right positions! One of my cousin's mates played Pac Man for hours and hours when the Atari VCS was new and started imagining that the sound of him eating the pills was going "Gobbelina"!!!! <_<

Still get game "flashbacks" if I play a single game for long period of time! Bit freaky, really!!!

More recently, after playing through Ikaruga, I found myself trying to chain the various sandwiches choices in Tescos. If that makes any kind of sense.

Explain. I'm dying to know how that works. :huh:

I've looked out of car windows before on motorways before and imagined Sonic running alongside, jumping over passing "obstacles" and spinning through passing lamposts.

If i play games for too long, afterwards when i close my eyes i find myself playing the game within my head which makes it impossible to get to sleep and it lasts for hours.

I did that a lot after playing PGR2 cone challenges on Platinums. It's like you're actually playing it, except you're...well...not.