IGNORED

Why PSP will fail

benh

Just because the guy who wrote the article runs an iPod site doesn't make him "biased" ipso facto, does it? You can only accuse him of bias if it shows in his argument.

Apart from the NGage thing, I think he's bang on here.

I'm sick of gadgets with half-arsed bonus music playback functions. If it's more hassle to get your music onto the device than slotting in a CD, most people (me included) will use it once or twice for novelty value and then give up.

The MP3 playback included in Sony devices like the Clie and P800 isn't great - mediocre sound, finicky about files that work fine elsewhere. So I can imagine them botching the PSP's media features.

If the PSP was close in price to Nintendo's offerings, music playback - however bad - would be a selling point. You could see a parent getting a PSP because it could do more than "play silly games". But at £200+, adoption will be slow enough that people will hear from reviews or friends that the music and video stuff isn't worth bothering with.

The only way UMD will catch on is if Sony Pictures give away UMD discs with the DVDs fo all their films.

PSP will sell enough on the brand alone, but I think it'll end up being a version 1, like the NGage - I expect there'll be a "PSP SP" along with a mini-hard drive instead of Memory Stick as soon as the technology catches up. And MP3 and DivX playback. I'd pay £300 for that.

Of course, if PSP is disappointing, it doesn't mean DS will do better. The stylus is the thing that worries me. Kids will lose it. I'll lose it. It stops you playing one-handed while strap-hanging on the tube or bus (although you'll be able to do that with your old Advance Wars cart). I hope they're sensible enough to realise that most people will be poking at the screen with their thumbs and fingernails, and just make it tougher than the top one.

I also hope they'll have the sense to broaden the spectrum of games they provide. It's crying out for a port of Laser Squad Nemesis or Space Hulk.

Mystic Meg-O-Meter:

<-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10->

Alex W. "Dear God, just have a balanced discussion without sticking to specific conclusions based entirely on conjectire"-O-Meter:

<EEER THE PAIN KILL ME NOW>

Once you get past the 10,000 post count as a member of the forum, are you actually allowed to make posts that don't seem to have any sort of connection to the topic at hand --or even reality-- without fear of repercussion?

Edit: With no offense intended to Alex W.

No you just have to donate 2 quid to the forum.

See this thread.

:P

Drat. And here I was hoping I'd be able to get the benefits I am so envious of by just putting a little bit of effort into making more posts every day... <_<

Moderators/Rllmuk, the check's in the mail.

Point I'm making is, it's a "Why the PSP will fail" topic, which inevitably just polarises everyone into "it'll fail" and "it'll not fail". Throw in arguments based on prices and battery lives which aren't confirmed yet and you can see where I'm going. Why not post in one of the many PSP topics where these things have been discussed in an even handed manner, to death, already?

I don't bloody care about the post count, frankly I'd rather they were switched off.

EDIT- it's a whinge at the topic starter, BTW, not the folk who actually managed to make a good discussion out of it.

EDIT- I only just noticed that the arguments in question had been made in a story linked to, and not the opening poster.

I apologise for yabbering out-of-turn.

EDIT^3- Funnily enough, the topic linked to is exactly the kind of one-sided rambling which sets me off anyway! It's pointless-conjecture-tacular.

Super Edit 4 Turbo -

Stepping briefly out from the curtain to offer a personal opinion as the primary author of this piece

That really sums up that "news" article to me. <_<

PSP will be a massive success.

The games, the battery life, the size, the availability of UMD movies, the cost of the unit, the cost of games.

None of that means anything in reality. Because at E3 the Sony hype machine started and the whole world has already started eating it. It'll be just like PS2 where by the time everyone realises that the Emperor is actually naked, it's far too late for those in his path.

Next months post-E3 magazines will be a good indication of how people perceived each handheld and I think that most will be crowing in favour of PSP, despite not actually getting to even play the thing.

That IGN managed a preview of Metal Gear based on the short video alone, prediciting it to be a Pandora Tomorrow-style multiplayer online stealth game proves just how desperate people are to fill in the blanks with speculation and lies. And the public will happily lap it up and Sony needn't lift a finger now 'til TGS.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I was trying to think about how the PSP and DS versions of Viewtiful Joe will compare, and I can't get my head around the generationlessness of VJ. I honestly can't figure out what generation's tech it would require as a minimum, which says a lot for its stylised visuals.

And remember, folks, speculation and lies go both ways

You are indeed correct.

I'd love PSP to be utterly perfect, but there was something about the unveiling that seemed odd. It was like that first "Next Generation PlayStation" unveiling where they told you so very little, showed a few "prototype" videos of insanely detailed Tekken and Ridge Racer and let the press go home and fill in the blanks.

I just think that if Sony had nothing to hide, they'd have revealed a heck of a lot more than they did. It left me with more questions than it did answers, that's for sure.

as far as the general public are concerned, I think people will avoid it simply because of it price point.. I think "stuff" readers and gadget whores will buy it up immediately.

It certainly won't be parent money that buys it.. they could buy a TV and a PS2 too keep the kids occupied, i sure as hell wouldnt buy a unit like that for a kid.. it would be broken in days.

As a gamer myself, i'm yet to be convinced, why the hell would i want to sit on my sofa playing on it when I have my console collection ready to go on a big TV right in front of me ?

i definitely wouldnt "Bling it off" in public...

usually battery life is cited at it maximum span in STANDBY mode, in the same way battery life for cameras is measured..

sony may recommend developers try and refrain from data access, but to be honest i can see this being totally ignored, unless sony lay down the law during submission.

I believe as a gamer and a handheld gaming developer a handheld should be cheap, portable and fun, i see the PSP as expensive, impossible to carry in your pocket for fear of damage and abit overly serious in its aesthetics...

Fuck parent money.

This is like the PlayStation all over again. Where Sony turned those who'd shunned video games due to them being kiddy into games players, so will they with those who baulked at Game Boy's into handheld gamers.

They will likely take a fair chunk of Apple's market also. It ain't as practical as an iPod, but with the addition of games, movies, a similar RRP and Sony behind it it'll likely become the iPod's main competitor in the portable music market.

I'm still not sure about the speculated price anyway, Deering's "closer to £200 than £300" comments came before the backpedal about selling at profit. If Sony go crazy with the pricing and aim for the long-term, it could be lower than expected- although I wouldn't place it anywhere below £150. I'm banking on £199.

No offence guys but that was a very well written article which contained a lot of very good points.

Especially about the fact that all the PSP's on display were not actually playing any games - so we haven't actually seen ANY games footage so far.

We also haven't been told the battery life and we don't know anything about the movies on release nor their cost.

The annoying fact that you will have to buy MORE memory sticks is rather annoying.

256mb stick = 89 quid

512mb stick = 211 quid (both after tax)

That's a lot of money if you want to use it for save games and for MP3s and let's be honest to utilise the MP3 aspect you will need a lot of memory.

I reckon they should drop this part of it, but hey that's just me.

I know I always sounds nagative about this but I believe that it will be too expensive and I worry about battery life, and game prices. Sony doesn't screw around - the want your money.

Why do you think they created CD's that won't work in your PC or Mac? because they don't want people using the iPod maybe?

I love Sony.

I loved the PSOne. I love the PS2 (I play it more than my Cube, I know, I'm a heretic.)

However the PSP isn't attractive to me yet because of

1-Size

2-Battery life.

We've been here before, the Atari Lynx was a much better machine than the Gameboy. Difference? Battery life.

Parents aren't going to want to keep buying new batteries.

No offence guys but that was a very well written article which contained a lot of very good points.

Especially about the fact that all the PSP's on display were not actually playing any games - so we haven't actually seen ANY games footage so far.

We also haven't been told the battery life and we don't know anything about the movies on release nor their cost.

It was a good article and I agree with nearly all of the points he made, but he was not talking about the games side of things, only the rest of the features that would be included.

Personally I not at all interested in the PSP, I see it as a jack of all trades and a master of none. Not one of the games shown/announced really made me interested and to be honest I much prefered the DS announcement. Metriod DS looks amazing (watch the video on ign, pictures dont do the game justice) and some other games look really interesting (PacPix, Warioware and the baby mario game to name a few) and looks like Nintendo will actually be ready when it releases the machine at the end of the year, the fact that sony had no playable games at E3 and third parties are already saying that they are unsure what sony plans to do is not a good sign for a system that is going to be released at the end of this year (in Japan)

EDIT- it's a whinge at the topic starter, BTW, not the folk who actually managed to make a good discussion out of it.

EDIT- I only just noticed that the arguments in question had been made in a story linked to, and not the opening poster.

I apologise for yabbering out-of-turn.

So what you're saying is, you didn't even read the start of the thread? And you're willing to have a go at both the author linked story and me for drawing conclusions based on "conjecture", despite the fact that our arguments are based on:

1. The previous conduct of Sony

2. Existing Sony products

3. Previously announced facts about the PSP/DS

The reason I titled the thread "Why the PSP will fail" is that it summarises the conclusion of the article.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this "balanced discussion" you call for. You seem to want a discussion where nobody draws any conclusions - just an exchange of facts then?

A: The PSP will use small, proprietary discs.

B: Yes. The DS will use a special card.

A: Yes.

Or do you just want everyone to conclude "wait and see" without thinking about anything that's not already in our hands? Bang go 80% of the threads on this forum then.

The only one who's jumping to baseless conclusions and wasting everyone time is you, you dingus.

Why do you think they created CD's that won't work in your PC or Mac? because they don't want people using the iPod maybe?

Well, post of his points were conjecture and supposition based on slim evidence which has in fact long since been proven false, so I'm afraid not. :o

And there is the way that the PSPs on show were not only showing games, but some were offering playable demos (even if you needed to annoy the PSP into submission to unlock playability in MetalGear Acid). All without any obvious means of connecting up some sort of huge emu-server up to the things. Not a bad showing really...

And isn't it BMG that created the horrific Copy Protected Disk which flies against the entire CD forum specification, not Sony?

And isn't it BMG that created the horrific Copy Protected Disk which flies against the entire CD forum specification, not Sony?

No sony also have some software on their CDs, one of my japanese albums wont play on my computer unless I install some software on it, even then I cant download the music on to my computer, only play it with just that software (it doesnt even work with SonicStage which is stupid considering thats sony's own software as well :rolleyes: )

Well, post of his points were conjecture and supposition based on slim evidence which has in fact long since been proven false, so I'm afraid not. :rolleyes:

And there is the way that the PSPs on show were not only showing games, but some were offering playable demos (even if you needed to annoy the PSP into submission to unlock playability in MetalGear Acid). All without any obvious means of connecting up some sort of huge emu-server up to the things. Not a bad showing really...

Ok smart arse.

Which of his comments have been proven false? Where was the conjecture and supposition. He was putting it up against an iPod as both play Mp3s and he was correct it will not beat the iPod.

As far as reading it is concerned I went through it from a neautral perspective and enjoyed the article and agreed with nearly all of his points. It's informative and well written.

Playable Demo's are not actual games. Not to mention that the machines were being run from computers and not from the discs in the machines. The code we have all seen is not from any actual game so far. I have no doubt the machine can do what they say but I will wait to see one being held and played before making up m mind.

And I don't know if Sony created it all I know is that no Sony disc can be copied on to my laptop. I've bought it so shouldn't I be able to do what I want with it?

Sony's plan from the off was to showcase PSP hardware at E3 and show playable games at TGS. In this regard they overdelivered at E3.

Also, making UMD writable just opens the floodgates to piracy - i'm not terribly surprised that they took this functionality out. However its early days for the format and who knows, they could well release a writable version in future, perhaps of smaller capacity.

Playable Demo's are not actual games. Not to mention that the machines were being run from computers and not from the discs in the machines. The code we have all seen is not from any actual game so far. I have no doubt the machine can do what they say but I will wait to see one being held and played before making up m mind.

And I don't know if Sony created it all I know is that no Sony disc can be copied on to my laptop. I've bought it so shouldn't I be able to do what I want with it?

All conjecture. His argument that the PSP wasn't playing from any disks was, as the article states, based on the fact that the staff in the booth said they didn't know. He's making a leap of non-logic by assuming that they were therefore hooked up to some amazingly-stable emulation system which never once gave any indication of not being a PSP. And certain things [the argument that there was absolutely no game software, or non-FMV game footage, on dislplay] have been proven false( for example, MetalGear Acid was a rolling, camera-controlled demo, which through PSP-bothering was launched as playable, there was a playable RPG, and so on) . Ergo: conjecture and falsehood throughout. His arguments that the stage PSP was larger (although it didn't look any larger to me) and therefore they'd put together a big dummy unit for stage use kind of sums up the tinfoil-hat approach he's taking to the whole thing. Criticise the PSP's potential flaws, by all means (battery life could well be a concern, as could size), but don't go around acting like you've got the finished unit on your desk and you know it's going to be rubbish by if only the poor people could see what Sony are doing to them... [criticism aimed at him, not you]

Regarding the music thing, I'm afraid it's got nothing to do with moolah (how would putting you off buying their CDs make them money, exactly?) and everything to do with the compatability issues which all today's specification-breaking CD-copy protection systems bring with them. BMG and Sony's disks load an application (which apparently doesn't work half the time) which loads the music as compressed audio files from a part of the disk, whilst hiding the actual CD audio tracks, the idea being that it prevents copying. Sadly this also frequently makes the disk unplayable on PCs, CD players, and particularly car CD changers.