IGNORED

The perfect 10

dan_tm

taps fingers. looks at watch.

OoooOoooh. I was in a meeting.

Short answer: It only revolutionises console FPSs because it is one. Halo is a well balanced implementation of well-worn elements. There (arguably) hadn't been a significant advance in console FPSs since GE007, so it's revolutionary by default.

I lean more towards Sprite Machine's explanation of why Halo is important as a console FPS.

The fact that at higher difficulties the enemies still take the same amount to take out - they are just more intelligent. There guns don't do more damage and they don't have more life, they're just better.

Sorry but that's wrong, enemies can take a lot more punishment on the higher difficulty levels. But it's because of this that Legendary is so great. On the easier settings the plasma weapons are meaningless becuase the pistol and AR can take out just about everything. On legendary on the other hand, it forces you to use all the weapons.

Sorry but that's wrong, enemies can take a lot more punishment on the higher difficulty levels. But it's because of this that Legendary is so great. On the easier settings the plasma weapons are meaningless becuase the pistol and AR can take out just about everything. On legendary on the other hand, it forces you to use all the weapons.

I thought so. Also, aren't they're more hunters on the higher levels? I'm sure they've caused me consternation where constenation had never been caused before.

In other news, I'm playing through this again (up to where my disk gives up), and I've learned to love the snipers on my team. In a manly style of course.

The enemies in halo are no more intelligent on legendary than they are on easy, they are just far more accurate and fire more agressively, they also take more damage. Thus you have to give them more space and treat them with a little more respect, thus giving the illusion of greater intelligence.

That is all, if you care to debate the point you can go argue with Bungie instead of me.

It only revolutionises console FPSs because it is one.

ik, so why does it revolutionise console FPS' and not FPS' as a whole? unless you attempt to answer this there is no point debating any further.

I lean more towards Sprite Machine's explanation of why Halo is important as a console FPS.
then you agree it's revolutionary, i.e. it has revolutionised the FPS genre. you can't have it both ways.

The enemies in halo are no more intelligent on legendary than they are on easy, they are just far more accurate and fire more agressively, they also take more damage. Thus you have to give them more space and treat them with a little more respect, thus giving the illusion of greater intelligence.

That is all, if you care to debate the point you can go argue with Bungie instead of me.

Yes, and the suppsoedly amazing AI is really just a lot of scripted actions, apparently.

I must admit, after the initial 'wow' factor has worn off and after I had seen through all the hype, despite the fact that there is no doubt that Halo is a good title, it was somewhat over-rated and towards the end of the game it all got a little too monotonous and the decor looked the same, did this even get a mention in a review?. Not any of the ones that I read, they were all too busy drooling over the game.

Speaks volumes when I purchased my Xbox on launch with Halo, PGR, Amped and Dead or Alive 3, and played PGR first, still prefer it to Halo in terms of Xbox launch titles. Wait for Halo 2, if the worldwide release gets delayed and we experience another 'MGS 2 incident' then people will not be happy, imagine reading the latest issue of CVG who have an import review and spoil it all, hardly fair is it?.

The enemies in halo are no more intelligent on legendary than they are on easy, they are just far more accurate and fire more agressively, they also take more damage.

That's just not true. The enemies on Legendary exhibit actual behavioral differences in the tactics they use to defeat you (working together, using the environment more, ducking for cover), things that they simply don't do on lower settings. Furthermore, I'm almost certain that they don't have more health on Legendary, it's just that, with the Elites, their shields recharge just like the Chief's does, so when they hide for cover, it seems like you're having to take off more health (well, you are, but because of the tactics changing, not the starting health levels).

They are more accurate though, the sly devils.

That's just not true. The enemies on Legendary exhibit actual behavioral differences in the tactics they use to defeat you (working together, using the environment more, ducking for cover), things that they simply don't do on lower settings. Furthermore, I'm almost certain that they don't have more health on Legendary, it's just that, with the Elites, their shields recharge just like the Chief's does, so when they hide for cover, it seems like you're having to take off more health (well, you are, but because of the tactics changing, not the starting health levels).

They are more accurate though, the sly devils.

Another brainwashed Halo lackey. :rolleyes:

Everything I have said is true, go ask the developers if you don't believe me.

RE damage, for example, a grunt can go down with 1-2 hits to the torso on easy/normal and around 4 hits on heroic and legendary. (using the pistol)

It's just an illusion that seems to have formed in the heads of the games ardent fans, the only reason they appear more intelligent on higher difficulty settings is that the don't get immediately mown down before they have the chance to exhibit any. ;)

Another brainwashed Halo lackey. :rolleyes:

I'm just using my EYES, man!

I've seen them Elites doing some scary stuff that they never do on lower settings. It's not like I've imagined it all, I've genuinely seen it!

the only reason they appear more intelligent on higher difficulty settings is that the don't get immediately mown down before they have the chance to exhibit any.  ;)

No, no, no, they immediately display new tactics, not after a little while.

I think Bungie have lied to you... ALL OF YOU!!

Or your copy is broken, etcetera.

I'm just using my EYES, man!

I've seen them Elites doing some scary stuff that they never do on lower settings. It's not like I've imagined it all, I've genuinely seen it!

No, no, no, they immediately display new tactics, not after a little while.

I think Bungie have lied to you... ALL OF YOU!!

Or your copy is broken, etcetera.

To be honest, Sprite, Bungie did say the AI routines are the same on all levels. The only difference in that they stay alive longer on Legendary letting you see more of what they are capable of. If you didn't kill them so quickly on Normal or Heroic, they would still be doing the same things. It's just that the covenant die so much quicker on the lower levels that you don't get as much opportunity to see them be smart. That and the fact that there are more elites on Legendary than on lower levels.

ik, so why does it revolutionise console FPS' and not FPS' as a whole?

I thought I'd already answered that.

Maybe it would be clearer to say, it only improves on things that are relevant to a console FPS. (Understandably.) It doesn't focus on (or address at all) PC-oriented FPS issues. It can only have impact in its own field.

(Also, I don't check this forum ever second. :rolleyes: )

Furthermore, I'm almost certain that they don't have more health on Legendary

On easy and normal setting a rocket will kill a Golden Elite, on Legendary they can take a rocket in the face and still stand up. As I said earlier, The balance of the weapons is apparent until you play the game on Legendary.

I thought I'd already answered that.

Maybe it would be clearer to say, it only improves on things that are relevant to a console FPS. (Understandably.) It doesn't focus on (or address at all) PC-oriented FPS issues. It can only have impact in its own field.

(Also, I don't check this forum ever second. :rolleyes: )

does this make sense to anyone?

you said it was revutionary, but only as a console FPS. you have yet to explain why.

i'll put it another way, give me a PC FPS that's more revolutionary than Halo?

Are there?!!

By christ, I'm going to have to play this again!

Yep. Quickest example is the cloaked elites that attack you as you open the lock on The Silent Cartographer. On normal and heroic there are only 3 (maybe less on normal - ages since I did that difficulty). On legendary there are 4 of the buggers. Similarly, on lots of places you'll get an added purple elite thrown in for good measure on Legendary.

ah, right. kind of a means to an end though rather than genuine gameplay innovation wouldn't you agree?

Possibly, although I firmly believe that mouselook enabled gameplay to evolve.

i'll put it another way, give me a PC FPS that's more revolutionary than Halo?

Fingers crossed......Half Life 2 ?