IGNORED

The perfect 10

dan_tm

obviously it wont get a 10. The first got a ten becuase it was revolutionary (apparently). Unless the second one is revolutionary it wont get a 10.

I dont understand why people cant understand edges scoring system

I don't think I "got" Halo. Whilst I truly enjoyed playing through it in single player and co-op, I just don't seem to be able to play through it again. I just get bored.

Ah well, theres always the odd one out.

i didnt really get it either. i played it through most of the way, and it was pretty good, but it didnt hold my attention long enough for me to finish it and i certainly didnt see what was so revolutionary.

didnt seem half as revolutionary as half life, deus ex, quake II or unreal tournament, all of which changed the genre in very interesting, revolutionary ways, all of which are far better than halo and all of which scored less than 10.

ididnt seem half as revolutionary as half life, deus ex, quake II or unreal tournament, all of which changed the genre in very interesting, revolutionary ways, all of which are far better than halo and all of which scored less than 10.

Halo is a shooter, Deus Ex doesn't work as well as a shooter. Valve may call it an FPS, i wouldn't. why is Quake II more revolutionary than Quake I out of interest? and why is Unreal Tournement revolutionary?

edit. whoops, of course i meant ion storm. just testing :D

I dont understand why people cant understand edges scoring system

I can understand it. Thats why i'm trying to see if anyone believes it is possible for a sequel to get the 'perfect 10'

Afterall it's a sequel, unless Halo 2 will revolutionize Halo 1 in some kind of new and amazing way, is there even the slightest chance of Bungie being able to revolutionize the same thing twice.

I hope they can.

there's a difference?

Um, the minor difference of PC and Console FPSs being two completely different genres, yes.

I can see the appeal of Halo's multiplayer (let's not even start on the single player). People still play it in our office, and I still occasionally frequent (xb) LAN parties where it will get played sporadically. It's kind of like a baseline LAN game, like Quake 2 / StarCraft was back in the day. On the xbox, this is largely due to ongoing lack of competition, now. If Halo wasn't out, we wouldn't all be jizzing ourselves about Timesplitters 2 (or maybe we would, maybe that's the point). It's solid without being spectacular. Like, err, chess.

Crap analogy time: I'll watch Uncle Buck if it's on at Christmas but that doesn't mean it should be in Criterion Collection.

So what genre is Halo then?

What about Halo PC?

1. Console FPS; 2. ported console FPS. (As in, it retains the conventions of a console FPS.)

For the edification of the :D -ed, console and PC FPSs differ wildly in control schemes, and as a knock on effect of that, in pacing, level design, focus, weapon types, AI and game mechanics in general. Their conventions are almost as contrasting as PC and console RPGs. Genres have been split on much smaller differences.

With the exception of possibly PS1 Doom (which still had slightly cut down levels), there has never been a direct 1:1 mapping of an FPS from one 'environment' to the other (in either direction), which I suppose could be taken as proof by example.

So if I play unreal tournament with a joypad on a pc i'm playing a different genre than if I was using a mouse?

Rainbow six 3 on the pc is not in a different genre than the xbox version is it?

1. Console FPS; 2. ported console FPS. (As in, it retains the conventions of a console FPS.)

For the edification of the  :D -ed, console and PC FPSs differ wildly in control schemes, and as a knock on effect of that, in pacing, level design, focus, weapon types, AI and game mechanics in general. Their conventions are almost as contrasting as PC and console RPGs. Genres have been split on much smaller differences.

With the exception of possibly PS1 Doom (which still had slightly cut down levels), there has never been a direct 1:1 mapping of an FPS from one 'environment' to the other (in either direction), which I suppose could be taken as proof by example.

so because Halo came out first on Xbox and is played by joypad, it isn't revolutionary?

try and explain why it isn't revolutionary with out using the words console, PC or control scheme.

I've got a PC and loved it.

I can see why people said it revolutionised FPS, even on a PC because the PC had no decent game with the chunky physics and the decent AI.

It really was the orignal Far Cry. I've high hopes for Halo 2 and might plump for the Xbox version instead as the games levels are geared so that having to look up and down is not so essential as some games.

Another game i actually finished this year. So thats something.

this place will have become a private chat room for cacophanus, roadkill and rory c.

Yeah!

Oh, wait . . . mmm. Maybe not so good.

Anyway, we all know the only decent FPSs ever are the TimeSplitters series. Everything else is wannabee pretentious art styled graphical programming demo arse.

(hides)

Does it matter what Edge give it? Will it mar your enjoyment of it? I've given up thinking I should only enjoy games that are critically lauded. I will say, with a 95% chance of probability that I will love Halo 2 single and multiplayer. If I get my PC upgraded, I will probably enjoy Half Life 2 as well. That, in my book, is the only thing that matters to me. Console/PC, revolutionary/evolutionary can all be damned in my book.

So if I play unreal tournament with a joypad on a pc i'm playing a different genre than if I was using a mouse?

No, read again. The game has been designed with certain conditions in mind.

Don't know/care about Rainbow Six, sorry. :D

I don't think the EDGE score will mar anyones enjoyment of the game but the question is if it is possible for the sequel to gain a coveted "10". Obviously its going to enhance and upgrade the original, but unless something completely changes how can it again be classed as 'revolutionary'. Will it be forced to live in its younger brothers shadow. The older, tougher, more intelligent kid that goes to Oxford and can beat up Bruce Lee but who's smaller, weaker, stupider sibling gets all the kudos and is "mummys favourite".

so because Halo came out first on Xbox and is played by joypad, it isn't revolutionary?

Don't put words in my mouth.

It isn't 'revolutionary' because it doesn't 'revolutionise' anything. It does a few new (technologically-enabled) things comfortably better than anything available at the time of release. Evolutionary, perhaps.

It isn't 'revolutionary' because it doesn't 'revolutionise' anything. It does a few new (technologically-enabled) things comfortably better than anything available at the time of release. Evolutionary, perhaps.

stop trying to wriggle out of it. why is Halo a revolutionary "console FPS" but not revolutionary full stop?

stop trying to wriggle out of it. why is Halo a revolutionary "console FPS" but not revolutionary full stop?

He's going to say that everything that Halo did had already been done on PC, but not on console. Hence, revolutionary on console, merely a good game on PC.

The innovative aspects of Halo were nothing to do with its control scheme (though it was stunningly well-mapped to the pad - buttons within fully comfortable reach making for effortless manoeuvres) or the platform it appeared on or its 'genre'. No, what it did was to shake up convention, to say "hey, why do things like this when you can do it like this?" And so they offered things like regenerative shielding, equally powerful weapons that don't become obsolete, ever, random enemy placement with adaptable tactics, difficulty levels which affected only the AI and skill of the enemies instead of the usual numerical 'upgrades' to stats, a forced two-weapon-only system and the attributing of this to each enemy type. The fact is, many FPSs have tried to mimic these attributes since then, which has to show they were successful in 'revolutionising' something, even if you don't consider it important.

Everytime I play Halo, single or multiplayer, there's not a doubt in my mind that it deserved (and deserves) every ounce of praise it gets.

The weapon and vehicle balance: Near perfect. I can't remember that in an FPS before. Ever run around with the glock in Half Life?

The two weapon system.

The regenerating shield that means you don't have to jab Quick load round the corner because you only hav 12 life and no armour.

The random placement enemies and the quality AI that means each encounter plays out differently.

The well placed checkpoint save system that means theres not a cutscene or a big trek between areas.

The way huge levels are loaded on the fly so after the main loading screen theres almost no loading times.

The use of grenades as a viable weapon. (Which I at least can't remember being in another FPS except tactical shooter like rainbow 6)

The fact that at higher difficulties the enemies still take the same amount to take out - they are just more intelligent. There guns don't do more damage and they don't have more life, they're just better.

Seems a bit more than just "a few new (technologically-enabled) things ". For the way it does everything and hows it comes together I would say it was revolutionary and easily deserves the 10.