IGNORED

Project Gothem 2 manual or automatic

bplus

Hi,

Not sure if this should be in ask the forum or not. Anyway what way do you lot play pg2, manual or automatic, with view inside or outside the car?

Thing is in GT3 I used inside car view and manual gears but that had a little thing that told you what gear to enter a corner in. For pgr2 I use the automatic and outside car view.

If I want to get really good lap times should I be using manual?

Sorry for the dull topic just not really sure about this one.

I prefer the outside view when using a controller and inside view when using a wheel, feels more natural. I never use manual gears, far too much to keep track of without that added into the mix.

Inside (higher), automatic. I can get into the top 500 in automatic on most tracks, and my highest ranking was 11th at one point (on one track). No doubt manual will improve your times if you master it, but first off really learn the tracks and the handling of each car.

Outside, automatic. Don't think I've ever played a racing game using manual gears, too much to think about for me.

I got all golds and a smattering of platinums using this. Maybe using manual would make the difference that would enable me to get more platinums....but I can't be bothered to find out.

Inside with the slightly elevated view, auto gears. I haven't used the gears in a racing game since Revs. I find the cockpit view a lot more responsive and easier to control, the tracks feel wider and cornering feels better, it's easier to gauge drifts and slides. I do prefer the visuals of the outside view though because the cars are so well done, and I like admiring the latest machine I've unlocked as the reflections dance across the paintwork and glass.

It's a shame that there isn't any cockpit detail in the inside view, it feels like you're pushing a camera around the track for the most part. What was the name of the trucking game on the DC where all the junk on your dashboard slid and moved when you cornered, and the dice hanging from the rear view mirror waved around? I suppose detail like that's only feasible when there are only a few cars to choose from, but it does add a lot.

I'm really enjoying PGR2 again with the new tracks, it's an amazing game on Live. Love Love Love.

Inside with the slightly elevated view, auto gears. I haven't used the gears in a racing game since Revs. I find the cockpit view a lot more responsive and easier to control, the tracks feel wider and cornering feels better, it's easier to gauge drifts and slides. I do prefer the visuals of the outside view though because the cars are so well done, and I like admiring the latest machine I've unlocked as the reflections dance across the paintwork and glass.

It's a shame that there isn't any cockpit detail in the inside view, it feels like you're pushing a camera around the track for the most part. What was the name of the trucking game on the DC where all the junk on your dashboard slid and moved when you cornered, and the dice hanging from the rear view mirror waved around? I suppose detail like that's only feasible when there are only a few cars to choose from, but it does add a lot.

I'm really enjoying PGR2 again with the new tracks, it's an amazing game on Live. Love Love Love.

Seeing the the srivers hands on the sterring wheel moving about like they do on Colin Mcrae (sp?) really helps for me when playing on a pad. Makes it easeir to work out where you're trying to point the car.

Outside, automatic. The complete opposite of what I use for pretty much every other game. Outside because I need the spatial awareness when I'm sliding my car around, automatic because all the cars have their revs limited and it shifts right at the limit every time.

Inside, slightly high. Auto, but there's one thing I noticed and it has made things a lot easier:

Semi-automatic gears (I hope that's the way they're called): you have auto gears but you can override them anytime. It's not as hard (I am really bad playing) as full-manual, and shifting gears down makes turning easier.

External - You don't have any kind of spatial awareness inside the vehicle. It's not like driving for real where you can glance about to see where you are in relation to the road - it's a forced view that is far too restrictive, I find.

Though the sense of speed is much greater, internally.

I use Automatic. I just want to race, not get stuck into the logistical nightmare that is speed gear changes.

I used out side and auto to get gold’s but for platinum I had to use manual. It’s almost impossible to do platinum challenges in automatic especially the timed runs, speed cameras and hot laps. Any one that clams to have got platinum’s using automatic IMO is lying or I am doing some thing very wrong. I would consider my self to be a PGR2 pro BTW B)

I use semi auto here. The automatic is fine for changing up but some times doesn`t drop down when you want it to so i down shift manually and find i can take corners faster this way as it prevents the back end sliding out thus prevents loosing speed round the bend. This method has served me well over completing the game on platinums so you are wrong to a certain extent dark soldier. And my time trial times back that up.

I used out side and auto to get gold’s but for platinum I had to use manual. It’s almost impossible to do platinum challenges in automatic especially the timed runs, speed cameras and hot laps. Any one that clams to have got platinum’s using automatic IMO is lying or I am doing some thing very wrong. I would consider my self to be a PGR2 pro BTW B)

I've done all of my platinums in automatic, and I only have 13 left to go. It's possible.

Does driving in manual really give you that much of an advantage though? I want to try it ;)

Amputated fingers?

Amputated arm.

To the manual elitists (;)), I have 35 platinums left to go and most of them are hot laps/timed runs. I think they are possible with an auto but probably more gettable with a manual.

I use semi auto here.  The automatic is fine for changing up but some times doesn`t drop down when you want it to so i down shift manually and find i can take corners faster this way as it prevents the back end sliding out thus prevents loosing speed round the bend.

Wait. You keep it in auto, but when decelerating, sometimes drop down manually, yes?

If that's what you're saying then that's actually quite clever.

Guest Fenster
I use semi auto here.  The automatic is fine for changing up but some times doesn`t drop down when you want it to so i down shift manually and find i can take corners faster this way as it prevents the back end sliding out thus prevents loosing speed round the bend.  This method has served me well over completing the game on platinums so you are wrong to a certain extent dark soldier.  And my time trial times back that up.

:o well thats impressive m8, all platinums - nice one :rolleyes:

i've only been playing for about a week, but was a big fan of teh original - i use inside (higher view) and auto tho after reading about the semi, i think i'll give that a go.

Anyway onto somthing else........

has anyone noticed themselves getting a quick/faster start, sort of like a boost, (but not quite so obvious as that)

I was playing a 1on1 in the sports convertibles yesterday trying to get a plat medal, theres a very tight sharp left bend just after the start. I must have started this race 30 odd times (at least :lol: ) - but this one time i accelerated away much faster and actually went into the bend just about level with the CPU car, we were both using porche boxters, so in theory i should not have been able to catch him b4 the bend, due to the CPU's head start, but i did!

Has anyone else noticed this? - and if so can it be done at will?

I tried and tried to recreate what i did but to no avail - i did not imagine it, lol, :D when you're playiing the same bit of track over and over again, any difference hits ya straight on the nose.

Just thoutght i'd ask,

cheers

Fenster

dunno but some people on live seem to start way earlier than everyone else but apparently this is to do with a fault in their dvd drive. I think it was boozy the clown who could do it.