IGNORED

The Good Arcade List

routeburn

In a similar vein to the Good MAME ROM list, how about an editable page of good arcades? I don't mean arcade boards / cabs etc., I mean real arcades where you can walk in and play stuff.

I'd like to see it organised by Town / City in the format:

Town/City:

Name of arcade:

Postcode (or first line of address at least):

URL if available:

Current notable games:

e.g.

Town/City: London

Name of arcade: Trocadero

Postcode: W1D 7DH

URL: http://www.troc.co.uk/

Current notable games: Outrun 2, ..., ..., ..., ...

What do people reckon?

Hmmm, this is a bit of a double-edged sword in my opinion (and of other UKVAC members).

Why? Well, on the one hand it's great to know where the decent arcades housing the ever diminishing number of decent games are. However, at the same time this can be used as a shopping list for people who are out to make money from these machines by buying them up from the operators and selling them on Ebay. (Obviously, getting hold of new stuff from operators such as OutRun 2 is not very likely).

Rob

p.s - Was going to pop into the Trocadero this weekend as I was up that way for a semi-secret Madness gig. Ended up getting plastered in the pub for two days instead.

Why? Well, on the one hand it's great to know where the decent arcades housing the ever diminishing number of decent games are. However, at the same time this can be used as a shopping list for people who are out to make money from these machines by buying them up from the operators and selling them on Ebay. (Obviously, getting hold of new stuff from operators such as OutRun 2 is not very likely).

I can see why UKVAC people may object, but surely the rest of the world wouldn't really care about that. Why do the UKVAC people think it's a bad idea? Because someone else may go and get a "bargain" cabinet that they may have otherwise had the chance at getting? Also, surely if an arcade is going to sell a cabinet, they're going to sell it anyway and it doesn't matter who buys it? Or is the thought that it should go to a "true enthusiast" rather than just someone out to make some cash by reselling it on Ebay?

Given that most cabinet collectors keep them locked up in their own homes for their own private use, I'd have thought the best way to think about this sort of list is that it's getting the word out and getting people back in the arcades. That's what UKVAC people would like to see? Right?

I can see why UKVAC people may object...

I think the main worry is that the machines will be bought up and put into a private collection never to be seen again, rather than where they are at present - there for the public to play.

Most of the machines in the hands of UKVAC collectors are from arcade close-downs or from other private collectors. I've certainly never wandered into an arcade to add to my collection.

Rob

Ah good, I see where you're coming from. Thanks for clarifying that viewpoint.

Glad to be of service :rolleyes:

Seriously though. A couple of the UKVAC members have been trying to set up Retrocade - a massive retro arcade with machines on free play, where gamers such as ourselves can re-live the golden days gone by.

The arcade had around 100 retro machines in stock, but everything has now had to go back into storage for the time being as the people who owned the building wouldn't let this type of business run on the site.

I've seen some photos of the place before it closed and it was indeed stunning.

If they manage to re-site the place I think us lot from the retro folder should try and book a day in there.

Rob

Dr. Quirkies Good Time Emporium in Dublin isn't bad. They have two of the new Sega Cycraft machines. They're both running that rubbish kart game rather than Fzero though.. :rolleyes:

Also have Outrun2, Inital D, Virtua Cop 3, Time Crisis 3 and LotR/Simpsons pinball.

I can imagine where this will go:

London: shitloads of arcades

Everywhere else: Squat

Well, Southport has a few. As in 'a few'. There is an Outrun 2 arcade here though (in 'Funland'). As well as 'usual Namco affairs', like Final Furlong, Time Crisis 3 and Tekken something.

How dull.

I've got about 10 grand saved up. Could borrow a bit more and start an arcade. Well somebody has to do it right! :D

Import twenty 2nd hand Astro's from Japan at €150 in the January sales. Buy a load of EU powersupplies. Not sure if the coin boxes work with euro's. Might have to change those too.

Keep to the cheapish games JAMMA games and maybe go for an Outrun 2 cab if things go well. The most important aspect would be having games set a 40c per play or 3 for a euro. That's the only way you'll get regular players like in Asia and South America. None of this one euro for 4 and a half minutes bullshit.

Great idea, I'll fill in the Glasgow one:

Town/City: Glasgow

Name of arcade: Booths

Postcode (or first line of address at least): G2

URL if available:

Current notable games: Dance Dance Megamix (I think), Derby Winners Club and Initial-D

I'm not aware of any more outside Student Unions.