IGNORED

The Sopranos

Laine

So, just watched the very first episode of The Sopranos (Thanks to Alan Stock for lending it to me, and thanks Wintermute for making me watch it).

Never seen any of it, it never really appealed to me, but I really liked it.

Obviously I don't see why it's supposed to be the best thing ever yet, but I'm definately looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

It does have one major flaw, I cannot bear Italian American accents. :blink:

Like nails down a blackboard to me.

What do you guys think?

As I said in another thread, I watched seasons 1-4 over the last month or so and I've now started watching season 5 that I downloaded.

I'd watch a couple of episodes and, even though it was gone midnight, I'd want to know what happened next so much I'd watch another - I couldn't get enough of it basically. :blink:

I'm gonna be sad when I get to the end.

As I said in another thread, I watched seasons 1-4 over the last month or so and I've now started watching season 5 that I downloaded.

I'd watch a couple of episodes and, even though it was gone midnight, I'd want to know what happened next so much I'd watch another - I couldn't get enough of it basically. :blink:

I'm gonna be sad when I get to the end.

Hmmm...sounds familiar!

I'm gonna watch some more on Wednesday if Wintermute can come over.

He needs to find out what's in the box Syd and Anna just opened!

;)

We've done a deal with each other, I watch this, he watches Alias. Working out OK so far.

Like Tony's mother, seems like she's cleverer than she lets on.

Liked how they introduced him with the flashbacks/talking to the shrink stuff.

It's fantastic.

I've only got three episodes of Season 5 left though :blink:

My housemate's been watching the previous series on DVD over the last three weeks. It really *does* stand up to repeat viewing too.

(i) Older actors. Who can act.

(ii) Subject matter - drama derives from conflict, and there's no need to artificially create spurious conflict when you're writing about the mob.

Why does being older matter?

Surely older actors are essential for this kind of show?

The best thing is they play it as if Tony's problems could stem from anyone's job or family. I'm a massive fan of the show and used to get C4 to send me the tapes in advance by courier during season 2.

However, I missed the 'watercooler' aspect so now only watch when it's on UK TV.

Why does being older matter?

Surely older actors are essential for this kind of show?

It matters because it means that the characters *look* lived in.

Which, for example, in your average drama they perhaps don't.

It gives the show a grounding in reality that, perhaps, other shows lack.

--

(iii) The use of multiple plot lines that come together over the course of several seasons.

(iv) The use of television clips ;)

(v) The use of certain motifs throughout (ducks, horses, bears, dogs...)

(vi) The dialogue.

(vii) The photography.

But why is it the best series ever? Plot, characters?

What makes it so great?

No Laine... don't leave me, don't watch that violent sweary overrated Godfather-wannabe gangster rubbish! Return to the light, return to me and Sydney!

I'm gonna watch some more on Wednesday if Wintermute can come over.

Sure, I'm looking forward to watching it all again.

*rubs hands*

I'll echo most people here: best. thing. evar. And the only TV show strong enough to pull me away from the pub and force my mates to shut the fuck up. Also, the only show where almost nothing can happen and it's still gripping.

Tony's lizard stare, Paulie, the promise of sudden brutal violence, actual sudden brutal violence, the slang, the ducks, Meadow, cliffhangers, Paulie, the Buscemi directed episode, Ralfie. Wonderful.

Oh, and Adrianna. :lol:

(ducks, horses, bears, dogs...)

Fuck! I forgot about the horse!! :rolleyes:

No Laine... don't leave me, don't watch that violent sweary overrated Godfather-wannabe gangster rubbish! Return to the light, return to me and Sydney!

Too late. She's joined the dark side now. Mwahaha.

Pfft Alias is fun, but it's really more of a light hearted romp compared to the Sopranos.

Yes, it's about the family. It can be brutal, funny, touching, shocking, nerve jangling...the "Snow" episode (can't recall the name) is a total classic :rolleyes:

Pfft Alias is fun, but it's really more of a light hearted romp compared to the Sopranos.

Yes, it's about the family. It can be brutal, funny, touching, shocking, nerve jangling...the "Snow" episode (can't recall the name) is a total classic :rolleyes:

Pine Barrens.

anyone been acquiring the newest ones, specifically 5x12?

I want to discuss it but don't want to spoil it for you latecomers, obviously.

Its a pretty shocking episode! :rolleyes:

Bastard. I'm up to Unidentified Black Males in a minute.

Emule appears to have died out on our filesharing PC :lol:

footle:

Bastard. I'm up to Unidentified Black Males in a minute.

Emule appears to have died out on our filesharing PC 

duuuude, get ABC, the bittorrent client and look for the new ones. If you want a link I can PM you.

Sopranos Seasons 1 and 2 (and Pine Barrens) are the best thing ever. I have 12 epsiodes of Season 5 just sitting on my Xbox for a big Sopranos binge too. Can't wait. Hope it's still good.

I've seen up till the last episode of Season 4, then the tracking went on the video tape. Bastards. Still haven't seen it...

Pine barrens is indeed genius, though.

Sopranos Seasons 1 and 2 (and Pine Barrens) are the best thing ever. I have 12 epsiodes of Season 5 just sitting on my Xbox for a big Sopranos binge too. Can't wait. Hope it's still good.

That's what makes the Sopranos.

It's consistently excellent.

(Apart from one episode in Series 5, which is merely ok).