IGNORED

The Sony Eyetoy

Dimahoo

As much as i love the fact the Eyetoy exists (although i don't have one) -

is its success only based on the fact the PS2 has a huge userbase, so would do so well regardless?

I mean, i know its a fun and orignal toy but then when an orignal game sell loads these days?

Or can this not be measured?

I mean, isn't there some theory that 'any' device made for a game(s) will sell well solely because of the fact its userbase it huge?

And what sells the device? The game? Or the device's potential?

It was rather popular yes, although I do feel that a lot of the populatrity of the device was down to most shops bundling them with PS2's over Christmas. Because they weren't pack-ins they got scanned and counted like a normal software sale.

The long-term popularity is not what it could be though. GAME's second hand bin is full of the things and the relatively low sales of Groove (compared to the Play bundle) suggest that it's really just a fad with little life in it.

The problem is, there's basically only 2 possible games you can get out of it. Waving and Striking. All we'll see now are "re-skins" of everything in Play and that will surely be the deathknell for the device.

There's plenty that could still be one with EyeToy, I would hope - doesn't it have some kind of colour-tracking feature that's being used in some upcoming titles? That would allow for more precise gameplay (though still basically "slow waving" to use Burai's model). There's also no reason why EyeToy has to take centre stage in a game - it could be used in conjunction with the DualShocks, for example - every EyeToy owner will have one, after all.

And there's still scope for extending the wave/strike gameplay - the version of Fantavision that ships with Play seems quite promising, for example, and that's part of the first title released. It's not perfect, but it does take the waving / striking system and make something that's greater than the sum of its parts.

The Sega compilation should be interesting, at any rate...

You also need a very light room in order for it to work properly, even during the day. If you want it to work well at night, you need very good lighting. In my experience anyway.

You also need a good light in front of you.I've tried playing it in my room but gave up because the window is behind me, Closing the curtains doesn't help much either, Because it's too dark then.I couldn't be bothered taking it downstairs either, So now it sits unused gathering dust.

Another use that occurs to me is generating game data from the EyeToy input, in a similar vein to Vib Ribbon and that PC game that used your hard drive contents. Lord knows how, but I'm sure something could be worked out that's a bit more interesting that just using the image as a random seed.

You could also take Marble Madness / Monkey Ball games a step beyond trackballs with gesture control - so long as the game was programmed to respond accurately to desperate flailing actions.

Eyetoy => games that even non-gamers will play.

I haven't met *anyone* who won't at least give it a go, if only out of curiosity. And once they have a go, they have fun.

That's why it's important. And that's why, regardless of sales or how well it works technically, it's a success.

It's a worthwhile addition to Singstar.

From playing around with singstar all the times I tried with the eyetoy everyone else said it was better when you could see the video.

(Bear in mind I don't know everything about the game so this option may exist), but it would be better if it played the video during when you sing it, and then when you did the playback thing it gave the video highlights.

That way the person who is singing won't be too self conscious as their singing and really let go.

Good point badegerpie. WHen it was just me and the wife playing, we weren't self-conscious at all, so we didn't care, but I think it was a bit of an inhibitor when we tried to rope some friends into it at the weekend. But the videoclips are comedy gold. I think the option to use your solution would have been great.

Has anyone played the Konami shooting game where they have a kind of bullet time thing and you can move out of the way of the bullets etc. there's a movement senser on the arcade cab.

Police 24/7?

I think Eyetoy is a cool idea, but I don't take it too seriously. I think it's sales undoubtedly owed a lot to it being bundled with PS2s - someone somewhere knew it would flop otherwise so that's why the bundle exists.

All the Eyetoys were sold at a loss at £40, and now at an even bigger loss at £16... and they've now forgotten to bring out any games for it to make the subsidisation worth it!

Whoops ;)

grow market.

I like it and hopefully it will be used in more games. I think you can use it in the next Harry potter and sega are developing a game for it and so are harmonix.

It is successful but it deserves more attention by third party developers.

I like it and hopefully it will be used in more games. I think you can use it in the next Harry potter and sega are developing a game for it and so are harmonix.

It is successful but it deserves more attention by third party developers.

The Harry Potter game is actually EyeToy specific. You basically wave your arms around to cast spells. The Sega game seems like a Sega skinned retread of Play. And that's from Sonic Team (the Japanese one, not the rubbish US one) who aren't exactly the most creatively challenged bunch.

I just think that developers are avoiding it because there's little more to get from the device without adding other peripherals to the mix, such as light guns.

Making a game for a niche peripheral is one thing. Making games which require more than 1 niche peripheral is quite another (see GBA-GC linking). I personally can't see any way of using it in conjuntion with a Dual Shock, simply because of the very static way you play with a pad.

They could...hmm...re-release games but with EyeToy functionality? What about some kind of Panzer Dragoon/Rez game where you touch enemies to target them before sweeping over to your missile launching button? What about a Tekki game where you stomp around making overblown body movements to move your mech? Okay, I'll shut up.