IGNORED

Pickford...

choddo

You can tell it was snipped off in its prime. some little oddities like one of my little fellas was standing at the side of some water and his attack animation made him fall in, and I've had a clear 1st person view to a target, only to have my shot explode against an object next to me... but in spite of that, it's so good I don't care. I just want the missus to stop watching Sky+ recordings of Secret Life of Us so I can have another go ;)

It's out on the Xbox right? I haven't seen it in the certification labs here in the UK so I'm assuming it's still to come. What if it fails, will the development team get some time to polish it?

IMO, it won't fail. I believe the publisher for europe is different, that is, not crave. I haven't heard who the euro publisher is, Jp perhaps knows but can't say.

IMO, it won't fail. I believe the publisher for europe is different, that is, not crave. I haven't heard who the euro publisher is, Jp perhaps knows but can't say.

Yeah, it was more of a theoretical question. I'm sure most of the compliance testing would have been sorted in the US already so only the European localization could trip it up and that's rare. I was just wondering what would happen should it fail.

I don't want to be a bore, but the game gets pretty mediocre reviews even by budget-game standard while everybody here praises it to high heaven. Is that because the developers are appreciated members of this board or are the reviewers totally wrong and is the game underrated? I haven't played the game myself yet, but I find the differences in opinion staggering.

I don't want to be a bore, but the game gets pretty mediocre reviews even by budget-game standard while everybody here praises it to high heaven. Is that because the developers are appreciated members of this board or are the reviewers totally wrong and is the game underrated? I haven't played the game myself yet, but I find the differences in opinion staggering.

It's underrated. Most of us gave it a chance because we know JP. We're calling it a good game because it's a good game. I suspect the reviews have marked it down because it dared to be different, is at a budget price point and they didn't really 'get it'. Their loss. Now go try it before casting aspersions as to the credibility of the MANY people on this forum who love it cos it's a good game. 'k? :lol:

I have the GC version and I'm currently playing thru the story mode for a 3rd, unique, time. I'm not doing this out of loyalty to JP, who I openly admit is my friend.

No one will! They tease us with all morsels but no hard facts.

I don't think there's any secret, JP has mentioned it several times - Warthog closed down John and Ste's studio (ZedTwo) a few months back, for reasons unknown as they were actually profitable. So they're currently unemployed, but working from home and putting together a new team (working title: ZedThree :lol:).

If that's not supposed to be common knowledge, or the details are wrong, feel free to ask me to remove them Pickford bros.

Now go try it before casting aspersions as to the credibility of the MANY people on this forum who love it cos it's a good game. 'k? :o

Oh, I probably will, but as a hardcore PAL-gamer I'll have to wait :lol: Obviously I'm not derating the credibility of the board or the developing prowess of the Pickfords, but you have to admit it's a bit odd to read these blurbs from the press while hearing 'OMFG! It's eating up my live! BEST GAME EVARR!!!111'* over here at the same time.

*) This might be a slight exageration

Oh, I probably will, but as a hardcore PAL-gamer I'll have to wait :lol: Obviously I'm not derating the credibility of the board or the developing prowess of the Pickfords, but you have to admit it's a bit odd to read these blurbs from the press while hearing 'OMFG! It's eating up my live! BEST GAME EVARR!!!111'* over here at the same time.

*) This might be a slight exageration

Yeah, no one called it the best game ever, it isn't. What it is, is great fun. I honestly think the majority of reviewers have given it scant time, it's only budget after all, meh! Like I said, it's budget, doesn't really conform and they don't get it.

Of course it's possible they don't like it but I can't help but think they didn't give it enough time, especially after plenty of picky gamers on here have admitted to getting loads of play time out of it.

Ah but then we're back to "what is a review meant to achieve?" and "do reviewers review to their audience?" and "how much do graphics matter?" and "do people mark down budget games because they're budget?"

Which have all been covered to death elsewhere.

[qb]

Play Magazine

The targeting system, offensive and defensive balance and especially the design are all surprisingly adept, as is the integrated story, about nomadic Earthlings on the run from alien hordes.

[/qb]

Interesting dichotomy between the quotation and the review score there.

Xbox Nation Magazine

Sadly, simplistic landscapes, tacky colors, dorky characters, and an utter lack of polish justify the bargain-bin pricing. The poor graphics even leech the thrill of deformable terrain.

Not street enuff, graphix arnt the bestest evar.

To be honest, I think;

GameSpy

It obviously has its share of problems, but plopping down $20 (or less) for an innovative concept like this isn't a terrible decision. I can see some people really loving it, and I don't blame them.

sums it up the best really. As long as you aren't expecting a Tom Clancy (or even Clive Custler) type story like XBN, you can't go wrong with it really.

Who the hell are xbox nation anyhow? And why do they employ cretinous fuckwits? I don't suppose they dissed GTA for having "geenric hoodlum #653" as it's main character.

The characters are great although some of the lip syncing is off, and the main "hero" strikes you as a bit of wanker from the start. But his sister is great, and I love the diary entries.

I think the XBN review is quite far off. The character models are a bit too simple but they're well textured and bring off the cartoon look quite well. I personally found the environments to actually be quite pretty, especially from the Valley of Screams onwards (I loved the motorway one).

Here's a thing for everyone who is playing it now to do. When you get to Level 7 (I think, the one where Peace and Low have to cross the chasm), move the camera up high (ignore the fact that controlling the camera on this level is a complete bitch) and put the controller down. Look at the beautiful snow falling, the dimly lit landscape and soak in the absolutely gorgeous music. If we ever talk about games as art, then that's one of the most beautiful moments in gaming. Everything, on it's own, is quite simple - but it's been married together in a way that is simply haunting. I'm not saying this simply because I helped test a bit of it and that I consider John as a friend. This is honest to God good stuff. I really wasn't expecting a "moment" like that to come out of a little studio in Manchester - if anything I'd expect it to come out of Square-Enix or one of the big boys.

Go on, do it. Then tell me if you agree with the XBN review.

I don't think there's any secret, JP has mentioned it several times - Warthog closed down John and Ste's studio (ZedTwo) a few months back, for reasons unknown as they were actually profitable. So they're currently unemployed, but working from home and putting together a new team (working title: ZedThree ;)).

If that's not supposed to be common knowledge, or the details are wrong, feel free to ask me to remove them Pickford bros.

I think Warthog, as a company, *could* be in trouble. Maybe. But what do I know :)

Just read the IGN review, scored the same as my last game. How come no-one rallied round to cheer me up? :(

It's a swizz.

Your score was too high. I rallied round the thread called "Linkster's game made me die inside".

What was it called again?