IGNORED

Golden Axe

shynra

Just got out my Mega cd today and was comparing its to the mega drive version.. i think i prefer it on the mega drive for the meaty sounds (even though the music disapears for speach :lol:) , then i remembered the awfull... trully awfull sega smash pack GBA version "sudders" man that was vile, then i remember my amiga version.. not very well thou...

anyway what was the best version of goldenaxe? on which console? I wouldnt mind tracking down an closer to arcade version of it....

edit: oh the dwarf guy rules :) it was lighting somthing right?

I always thought the MD one was the best. It was certainly the one I enjoyed the most.

I reckon you'd be best off MAMEing the arcade version though because, back then, the consoles couldn't touch the coin-ops.

I always thought the MD one was the best. It was certainly the one I enjoyed the most.

I reckon you'd be best off MAMEing the arcade version though because, back then, the consoles couldn't touch the coin-ops.

Yes, they could...

Golden Axe was on, what, System 16 or something like that? The Amiga and MD versions were absolutely great, with the MD version coming out on top, with extra levels etc.

MAME - it's the only way to go. No other version really comes close.

Another vote for the MD version - as close to the arcade version as you can get, but with extra levels. :)

Anyone here played the recent PS2 update of Golden Axe? Is it just me or are the controls really unresponsive? :lol:

The MD version was great, but it lacked all that lovely sprite expansion stuff which made those spells so brilliant - especially the fire spells, with the skeleton flame thing zooming all about the place!

There are only really two versions worth bothering with; the arcade original (MAME) and the MD version.

I remember going up to Dublin and playing Golden Axe arcade for the first time when I was about 6 years old. What a phenominal looking game. As far as I'm converned it still looks as good as anything on the Neo Geo.

I think the MD port is pretty good really. Problem with Golden Axe and a couple of other System 16 games like Wonderboy III: Monster Lair is they were pretty damn cheap at times. Just tried to suck all the coins off you. While the MD ports were a bit uglier, had poorer animation and music than the System 16 originals they were a hell of alot more balanced.

Megadrive version was the only good version (apart from original arcade, of course).

I've still got my copy from when it came out. Might have 2 set up the MD & check it out. Problem is that when u put the old stuff on, it's never as good as u remember it being!!!!! :rolleyes:

But that's just the Mega Drive version emulated, and I've heard that the sound on that emulator isn't as good as playing it on the mega drive

Yeah thats right the sound is a bit, well.... i doint really play the smash pack at all... i just got it for Shinign Force but then a few weeks after i got it i herd of the GBA version(shining force NOT smash pack)....

Was playing the MD some more, wow rather than just rugedly going through it i stated to use skills (as i normally play it 2 players as aposed to one) and there are some quite deep tactics you can use... not as deep as Final fight, but hitting an enmy once to make them freeze to gain advantages, taping down or up to avoid a running enmy by pixels and many others, pah the GBA version only has 2 music tracks on it for the main game <_< Lv 2 music was grand...

Strange but true:

I just watched [i]First Blood[/i] on BBC3. Rambo escapes into the forest and Brian [i]'Brian-fucking-Dennehy!!!'[/i] Dennehy sends a very young ugly-ginger-bloke-from-[i]CSI:Miami[/i] in after him. Ginger Bloke is then speared through the leg by one of Rambo's booby traps, falls to the ground and screams...

[b]"OH-OHHHHHHH, GAAAAAAAAAAAAD!"[/b]

The exact, original scream in all its glory. To think, [i]Golden Axe[/i] would've been poorer but for the existence of John Rambo...

Guest Cecil McBee
Strange but true:

I just watched First Blood on BBC3. Rambo escapes into the forest and Brian 'Brian-fucking-Dennehy!!!' Dennehy sends a very young ugly-ginger-bloke-from-CSI:Miami in after him. Ginger Bloke is then speared through the leg by one of Rambo's booby traps, falls to the ground and screams...

"OH-OHHHHHHH, GAAAAAAAAAAAAD!"

The exact, original scream in all its glory. To think, Golden Axe would've been poorer but for the existence of John Rambo...

Fuck

Me

Thanks for that

where is scream sample used in golden axe?

When the Barbarian or Amazon dies I think. So we're saying that the scream is a sample of David Caruso? Odd.

The stupidest thing about the Megadrive version is when you beat Death Adder and they king says something idiotic like 'I think he may have been taking orders' and there's another bastard hard level to play through. Argh!

No, no, no - I'm talking about the basic scream sample used whenever a bog standard male bad guy is killed, like the very first guy you meet, for example. [i]That's[/i] David Caruso.

I loved the cool moves you could pull off. One sec you're slashing at a guy in front, then you do an ace Conan-style spin and bring your sword crashing down on the head of a shmuck behind you, then you quickly double tap the other way to flying kick at the first guy as he tries to take advantage, sending him flying off the cliff, then it's back the other way to leap into the air and bring your sword right down through some fat fucker's brain.

I loves me some [i]Golden Axe[/i].