IGNORED

KOTOR

Darren S

Blimey, I seem to have stirred up some fairly polarised views on this one.

All I wanted to know was whether or not the game got "better". I remember Jedi Knight II (co-incidence it's another SW game) was awful for the first few levels and then suddenly got brilliant.

Blimey, I seem to have stirred up some fairly polarised views on this one.

All I wanted to know was whether or not the game got "better". I remember Jedi Knight II (co-incidence it's another SW game) was awful for the first few levels and then suddenly got brilliant.

Told you that would happen!

:)

I had the same dilemma as you(sort of), I played the game right up until I became a jedi then got bored so took the game back. Recently I rented the game and fell in love, it all kicks off once you get some juicy force powers to play around with. Ive chosen to play the game on the darkside, so many pitiful fools have died by my hand! I fear I may do a Vader at the end though. One thing I love about this game is the way all your party members level up whether your using them or not, that way you dont have to worry if your using the same three people all the time because you know the rest of your party are at the sameish level.

I felt so sad when I was killing innocent people thats how good the game is at the end I felt invincible I could kill dozens of people at the same time :)

My double ended lightsaber packed a mean punch too

i've been playing it through for the second time, and finished taris without levelling up my main character. this is great, because once you leave taris and become a jedi, you gain jedi levels instead of whatever class you chose at the beginning. this means that you get about six jedi levels in one go, so become super-powerful. there is a limit of 20 levels your character can gain, so if you get up to a level 8 character on taris, you can only get to a maximum of a level 12 jedi by the time you finish the game (which is what i did the first time). if you finish taris with your main character at level 2 (it forces you to level up once, right near the start, so you can't keep him at level 1) you can get up to a level 18 jedi by the end of the game, presumably, who will be massively hard and have shit loads of force points and powers.

playing through taris without levelling up is a challenge, it forces you to use all sorts of equipment and tactics which you probably wouldn't bother with otherwise, because the game is a bit easy.

Definitely continue...

You've still got the exciting bits to see!

The twist is pure Star Wars.

The evil Dark Jedi is a right wanker!

You can wield two light sabres.

IN. PURPLE!!!

How can you possibly think of not completing it?

[quote name='jamielemon' date='May 21 2004, 08:08 PM'] playing through taris without levelling up is a challenge, it forces you to use all sorts of equipment and tactics which you probably wouldn't bother with otherwise, because the game is a bit easy. [/quote]
It's very much a swings & roundabouts situation: suffer and struggle at the beginning so that you can become more powerful than you can possibly imagine later in the game. The part that summed it up best was walking onto the bridge of the Leviathan and using Force Wave to destroy everyone inside 4 rounds [i]singlehandedly[/i], flinging them around the room like rag dolls.

Getting through Taris is a challenge but if you do, the rest of game is a walk in the park...

Best I managed was 18/2 with all Taris subquests completed, bar Bendak Starkiller, who was probably a battle too far (and I was playing light anyway)

i killed bendak withou going past level 2, although it took a few attempts. ran away to avoid his grenades he throws at the start, then leapt on him and twatted him with my vibroblade a couple of times, before he could get his guns out. then i ran away again, and finished him off with grenades.

I'll really dont understand why bioware bolt their games to ad&d rules. My brother had a go on this and then got a fighting bit and just said "what the fuck is going on?!" Why not implement fighting that takes some skill. Actually come to think of it there must be some skill involved can someone explain some tactics to me?

I'll really dont understand why bioware bolt their games to ad&d rules. My brother had a go on this and then got a fighting bit and just said "what the fuck is going on?!" Why not implement fighting that takes some skill. Actually come to think of it there must be some skill involved can someone explain some tactics to me?

It's easy you set the scripts on how you want your characters to act. You can stack scripts too.

Fight twice, then throw grenade etc.

is there as much strategy as there is in say baldur's gate?

Baldur's Gate has no strategy - you just run and hack and slash. Power up some stuff before hand and run around thwacking the enemy.

With KOTOR you have to preselect scripts and if you want to change it then you can. you can choose to make them grenade, use force powers etc.

Well I played it some more, got off Taris, have become a jedi and I think it is going back in the box. I was soldiering through but not especially enjoying it so I picked up Beyond Good and Evil for just over a tenner and having played that now once I have remembered what it feels like to be into a game and KOTOR just doesn't do it for me.

Obviously a hell of a lot of people have enjoyed it so it is just a matter of taste but playing it feels more like a chore than fun.

Baldur's Gate has no strategy - you just run and hack and slash. Power up some stuff before hand and run around thwacking the enemy.

With KOTOR you have to preselect scripts and if you want to change it then you can. you can choose to make them grenade, use force powers etc.

I think your talking about the console version :unsure: i meant the pc version bg2

Well I played it some more, got off Taris, have become a jedi and I think it is going back in the box. I was soldiering through but not especially enjoying it so I picked up Beyond Good and Evil for just over a tenner and having played that now once I have remembered what it feels like to be into a game and KOTOR just doesn't do it for me.

Obviously a hell of a lot of people have enjoyed it so it is just a matter of taste but playing it feels more like a chore than fun.

Well each to their own.

Personally I love it but if you don't enjoy it then definetly put it back in the box.

If we all liked the same games it would be boring.

Another problem that I have regarding making a decision to buy KOTOR concerns the third person viewpoint. I have played games of this type (Tomb Raider 2 was very enjoyable), but I really only like first person games these days. I prefer to be the character, and see the world through their eyes. It's just more realistic.