IGNORED

games that would get sued

sir podger

i was playing some turrican 2 last night on an amiga emulator and noticed that the scenery and enemies from level 5 were not so much inspired by the film aliens but blatantly ripped off, there are xenomorphs, face huggers, eggs the lot.

Hang on, wasn't the main sprite in Turrican meant to be a pixel-precise copy of a character from an obscure arcade game? I'm sure I read that in Edge fairly recently.

Hang on, wasn't the main sprite in Turrican meant to be a pixel-precise copy of a character from an obscure arcade game? I'm sure I read that in Edge fairly recently.

i believe they took inspiration from xain d'sleena and act fancer, probably a few more..

I got that on the front of Your Sinclair.

Best. Cover-mounted game.  Ever.

I got Batty - and still have it somewhere - on the front of Commodore Force (née Zzap!)

Best covermounted game ever?

:ph34r:

EDIT: Incidentally, I discovered my favourite game of all time on a magazine covermount. And it wasn't even a demo. It was the whole game. :P

Can anyone remember that Spectrum Arkanoid clone? Think it was called Bounce or something but anyway, it was actually better than the game it copied, featuring a great co-op mode, better power-ups, etc.

Taito's Arkanoid was a rip-off of Atari's `1976 classic bat and ball game `Breakout`.

Oh, another one to add to the list of Ocean titles I mentioned earlier today -

Mr Wimpy, which was a complete copy of Data East's `Burgertime`.

Mr Wimpy was actually a darn addictive game. I had many a happy hour playing that back in 1983/84.

Gawd, I feel old!

Rob

lets not forget "moon buggy" oceans copy of irems "moon patrol"

i'm really surprised they got away with all those rip offs....

then again i'm surprised how many "platform game with racing section and slidey block puzzle" movie licenses they sold.

Here's one, Flashback, the title music (despite being superb, as is the entire music throughout) sounded far too similar to the final scene music from Terminator 2, also, the addition of enemies with T-1000 abilities added to the obvious homage/rip-off.

`Kong` - Blatent and really shite Donkey Kong rip-off. Strangely enough, Ocean actually licensed Donkey Kong a few years later and produced some good versions.

even stranger is that universal tried to sue nintendo for ripping off king kong (universal lost).

[quote name='Random' date='May 20 2004, 07:14 PM'] I'm never too sure how Sega didn't get sued over Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi seeing how it featured Batman, Spiderman, Terminator, Rambo and Godzilla (or similarities to the aforementioned anyway). Maybe they held the rights.... [/quote]
Remember, this was still in the days when a lot of IP wasn't as jealously guarded as it is today, though. Nowadays, you can do anything without a ton of lawyers jumping on your case screaming about copyright infringments and the like...

Here's one, Flashback, the title music (despite being superb, as is the entire music throughout) sounded far too similar to the final scene music from Terminator 2, also, the addition of enemies with T-1000 abilities added to the obvious homage/rip-off.

Throw in Alien(s), The Running Man, Predator, and Total Recall.

No Elite is one the finest games in history thus making a free copy the best covermounted game ever.

Oh and the R-type clone Katakis or what ever was superb.

Being a filthy pirate working down the Barras selling C64 and Amiga games meant I had so many games it was frightening.

I had Giana Sisters way before it was released - and loved every second of it. Although there was a bug which meant you could never complete it.

I'm never too sure how Sega didn't get sued over Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi seeing how it featured Batman, Spiderman, Terminator, Rambo and Godzilla (or similarities to the aforementioned anyway). Maybe they held the rights....

Spiderman gets a copyright mention on the title screen of `Revenge of Shinobi`.

Rob

I got Batty - and still have it somewhere - on the front of Commodore Force (née Zzap!)

Best covermounted game ever?

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Incidentally, I discovered my favourite game of all time on a magazine covermount. And it wasn't even a demo. It was the whole game. :o

Well, I was young and naive, it was certainly the game I've most enjoyed at the time that I got on a cover. Still, two-player, supey doopy.