IGNORED

games that would get sued

sir podger

im 25, i have been gaming for quite a bit of time, and in this era software houses now have to licence nearly everything and anything, but this wasnt always the case.

i was playing some turrican 2 last night on an amiga emulator and noticed that the scenery and enemies from level 5 were not so much inspired by the film aliens but blatantly ripped off, there are xenomorphs, face huggers, eggs the lot.

what other oldies do you remember that would be sued for blatant copyright theft

Both by Ocean Software...

`Kong` - Blatent and really shite Donkey Kong rip-off. Strangely enough, Ocean actually licensed Donkey Kong a few years later and produced some good versions.

'Armageddon` - A Missile Command rip-off. Not bad at all actually. Interestingly enough, `Armageddon` was one of the titles Atari were considering giving the arcade original, but in the end `Missile Command` was the title used.

Rob

There were loads of rip-offs in the 8 bit days. I had Munchman and Gulpman on my Speccy. Waca waca!

I had

Climb-It = Donkey Kong

Shoot-It = Space Invaders

Jump-It = Frogger

Eat-It = pacman

on the C16 from Microdeal

Oh, and did anyone mention Taito's Space Gun Aliens rip-off already?

There were loads of rip-offs in the 8 bit days.  I had Munchman and Gulpman on my Speccy.  Waca waca!

I still play Munchman on Vice64X! Love that game.

Oh, and the borrowing/homage of material still goes on today: just check out the massive Aliens influence on Halo.

There was a game on the C64/ST/Amiga whose publisher felt the full, devastating force of the legal team for the company that bought the rights to do home versions of [i]R-Type[/i].

There was also [i]Fighter's History[/i] by Data-East, which was the subject of a lawsuit from Capcom over similarities to [i]Street Fighter II[/i] (though to be honest, surely SNK's [i]Art of Fighting[/i], with it's pyjama-wearing, fireball-throwing, leaping spinning-uppercutting character of Ryo, was far more deserving of legal action)

There was a game on the C64/ST/Amiga whose publisher felt the full, devastating force of the legal team for the company that bought the rights to do home versions of R-Type.

Katakis=R-type

Bloody Rainbow Arts. Mind you the team behind katakis DID do the Amiga version of R-Type in the end :D

See also Garrison = Gauntlet

what other oldies do you remember that would be sued for blatant copyright theft

Pretty much all of AcornSoft's output for the Beeb:

Planetoid

Rocket Raid

Snapper

Monsters!

Meteors!

Arcadians

All pretty good versions of classics of the time. Amazing they got away with it...

Edit: Not Killer Gorilla, that was Program Power.

Did any copies of this actually get sold before Ninty forced them to withdraw it?

Yup, I used to borrow the C64 tape version from a mate. I knew it couldnt be bought but didn't really know the logistics of it, wish I had offered him cash for it.

What about Project X on the Amiga by Team 17. That's surely on dodgy ground somwhere, even though it was superb (fantastic music).

Can anyone remember that Spectrum Arkanoid clone? Think it was called Bounce or something but anyway, it was actually better than the game it copied, featuring a great co-op mode, better power-ups, etc.

Batty?

Can anyone remember that Spectrum Arkanoid clone? Think it was called Bounce or something but anyway, it was actually better than the game it copied, featuring a great co-op mode, better power-ups, etc.

not Breakanoid then?

You see, that's bollocks right there. In issue 100 Amstrad Action gave away Elite.

Yes, Elite. Free.

Best covermounted game ever.

close, but id go for issue 42 of official UK playstation magazine which gave away all those great yaroze games :ph34r:

on the subject of which, the best one, rocks n gems, was just boulderdash.

I'm never too sure how Sega didn't get sued over Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi seeing how it featured Batman, Spiderman, Terminator, Rambo and Godzilla (or similarities to the aforementioned anyway). Maybe they held the rights....

I'm sure I remember reading a review of an RPG possibly on the Atari ST/Amiga, that was a complete rip-off of Zelda LTTP. Anyone else remember this? Or have I got false memory syndrome?

(twice in one month)

The Faery Tale? :ph34r: