Smiths

Lovelyman

The Queen is Dead.

I have a 2 volume Best Of which is good. (the front photo of one has a woman in a cafe smoking a fag)

*edit* I'd be tempted to get a best of (even the 1 CD one, although that can't quite fit all the great songs on). If you just get Queen is Dead you'll miss out.

I don't rate The Queen Is Dead at all. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, Bigmouth Strikes Again and Frankly Mr. Shankly are alright, but the rest never sat well with me.

Louder Than Bombs is quite good - it's pretty comprehensive, and it has Asleep hidden away at the tail end, which is one of Morrissey's most affecting songs.

I'm singing Cemetry Gates to myself right now.

I wish the Smiths were on Singstar. How I hope they're a mission pack.

Cemetry Gates is tops too.

D'you think the Singstar Smiths pack will come with a bouquet of daffodils controller?

I'd go with Hatful of Hollow myself purely 'cos it has loads of songs on there and the quality of them is better than on the best of. Also I'd have to agree about Asleep, quite simply one of the best songs ever recorded.

He's not asking what's their best, he's asking what's the best place to start!

Ergo, I say their self-titled.

You have the funky, swaying pace coupled with the melodic, crooning slow stuff. Easily their second best [if you rule out Hatful, obviously] in my book.

Queen has their best songs, and is the best package. You just don't want to start at the top, and for it all to be downhill from there.

He's not asking what's their best, he's asking what's the best place to start!

Ergo, I say their self-titled.

I agree with that. And I see no one has mentioned Meat is Murder yet, an album I'd recommend buying last.

In terms of quality of studio albums, everyone knows it's:

The Queen is Dead

Srangeways Here We Come

Meat is Murder

The Smiths

And if you don't agree, you're clearly no one. Everyone also knows that Hatful of Hollow should be your third choice. You also need Best 1 and Best 2 because many of The Smiths' best moments aren't on the studio albums.

Apart from Horribleman, in his first post :D

Oh right, that'll teach me ;) But those meat grinders eh? I remember trying to take a nap whilst listening to it. "MOOOOooo" *crunchcrunchcrunch*.

The Queen Is Dead. the title track alone demonstrates their force as a band and lyrically it's beyond compare. so get that and pick up Hatful of Hollow as a excellent companion piece, it's full of Smiths masterpeices such as How Soon Is Now, What Difference Does It Make and William It Was Really Nothing. then get everything else because you need them. enjoy.

Id skip the Singles collections and think about just buying all the albums, with the return of Mozza i bet the next HMV sale will have them all carted out again, usually 5 for £20 as i picked them all up on CD last year in a sale to replace the Vinyl. They are much more enjoyable to listen to as a complete album as you get a better idea of the bad progressing / maturing / falling apart!

I wouldn't start with 'The Queen is Dead', because everything else will seem like a crushing disappointment after hearing it. Go for 'Meat is Murder' and wallow in the brilliance of 'How soon is now' and 'I want what I can't Have' before progressing through to 'Hatful of Hollow' and then 'The Queen is Dead'. After that, go and get the various Greatest Hit things they've done.

I'll second anyone who has said Louder Than Bombs. 23 songs, usually in the sale, fantastice collection. It has a good mix of songs, and is the perfect introduction to a fantastic band.

If you are interested in the Morrissey solo stuff, Bona Drag would be a good starting point. That or Vauxhall and I.