IGNORED

Sega & EA

Robo_1

Just wondering if Sega and EA fell out over the Saturn, or was there another factor which lead to EA snubbing the DC. I mean EA must have made a mint with the MD, so where did it all go wrong?

That is a very good question, unfortunately I do not know the full extent of why EA did not support Sega, but you are right, during the MD era EA must have made quite a bit, after all, FIFA first gained recognition on the Mega Drive as did Road Rash.

All I know is that the DC sadly suffered for the lack of support from EA (who would have thought it?) but then it is quite obvious that the heart of EA will always be with Sony.

Curious question, your picture, what is it from?. Reminds me of a group called Genesis (costume from Foxtrot album/tour) who I think are great, that was one of the costumes the lead singer would wear (well, startlingly similar) whilst singing.

There was one old story floating around about EA wanting Sega to go with 3dfx for the DC's graphics components and getting the hump when they went with someone else instead. A perhaps more reasonable assumption is that they simply decided the format stood no chance and decided to concentrate resources backing the sure thing of the PS2 instead...

Yes sadly, find money, find EA. Simple as that. But I still prefer the DC to the PS2, purely because the games were of a far better quality and were original, unlike the 98% majority of the PS2 game library.

I think the official reason they gave was something like:

"For every dollar we spend on the Dreamcast, is one dollar less for the PS2."

Seriously.

I read that from somewhere as well. Developing the next generation at that time PS2 and DC costed alot of money so EA settled for a safe bet.

Curious question, your picture, what is it from?. Reminds me of a group called Genesis (costume from Foxtrot album/tour) who I think are great, that was one of the costumes the lead singer would wear (well, startlingly similar) whilst singing.

Yes, it's the costume used by Pete on the Foxtrot album & tour. Always nice to find a fellow fan on the list B)

With regards EA, I can easily believe the "every dollar...." reason given. I do remember EA being in quite a state when the PS2 failed to attract gamers as quick as Sony hoped, and EA and Sony had a pretty rough first Christmas software wise, whilst Sega had one of the strongest Christmas line ups of any format ever (Quake 3, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer etc). Such a shame they chose to give all their marketing spend to Arsenal instead of actually telling people about their superior games line up.

I remember various DC mags reporting that EA was thinking of doing a few conversions to the DC, but that sadly fell through. Which mag was it that ran their main news story around Driver 2 coming to DC. I firmly believed that had the game been significantly enhanced for the DC, it would have been one of the systems killer apps.

Yes sadly, find money, find EA. Simple as that. But I still prefer the DC to the PS2, purely because the games were of a far better quality and were original, unlike the 98% majority of the PS2 game library.

Apart from JGR and samba I couldn't name an original and fantastic game for the DC.

I think sponsoring Arsenal was Sega's way of telling people about the Dreamcast albeit a rather strange one. The console was not really advertised much on TV although the USA adverts for the DC were superb, cleverly done, does anyone remember the magazine advert that was a direct attack on the PS2 shortage?.

As ever, EA, as mentioned go where the money is, it would have been great to see some EA games during the end of the lifecycle but it never happened, a real shame really, with EA backing the console it could have done better than it did and lasted longer.

As for Genesis, I'm a HUGE fan!.

ah but EA did release games for dc in a very round about mannor if I remember correctly. Ask "dreamcast master" or what ever he is called.

If ea had supported the dc, it might not have failed, maybe.

You're either being sarcastic, or very stupid.

Wooo! Name all the original games :)

Heh, well, okay, that statement was somewhat sarcastic but it seems that when you say PS2 the names Tekken, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid are mentioned along with GTA. Games we have seen before, and games that are getting sequels, okay, so the sequels try to offer something new but are Sony so dependant on key franchises?.

Ico and Rez are truly stunning, but gamers tend to go for the likes of FIFA and Need for Speed instead, it is a sorry state of affairs really. If Sony didn't have the key franchises would the PS2 have been as popular?.