PC games now excluded from GAME 10 day policy

George Clooney

Hi

I work at GAME, and this is what we've been told is going to happen from now on. I'd just like to add that I dont agree with it, but I'll say more about that a bit later on.

Basically, the title says it all. No more 10 day returns on PC stuff. So if you buy it and you dont like it, you're stuffed. However, it also means that if the game doesnt run on your PC, as 99.99% of the time it's due to incompatibility and not because the game itself is faulty, then they wont accept it back either. The most you'd get would be an exchange.

The reasons we've been given are: one is that we get a lot of PC stuff back, more than anything else. Head office suspect that people are just copying games and returning them. The other is that a lot of games have serial codes, meaning they cant be resold if they are returned.

Like I said, I dont agree with it, purely because (especially with the customer base we get in GAME) I think that people DO have trouble getting games to run on there machines sometimes. Purely from a customer service point of view, it was very useful. It's going to make my job a complete pain in the arse now. Especially as a lot of our customers probably wont recognise the difference between "faulty" and "wont run on my machine". Plus, I have to tell every PC customer about it now, which is just a pain.

Coming soon: no money back, just exchanges.

Reason given?

Chancers like me taking the piss and returning XBoxes on the basis that "Metroid Fusion is great, I've really got to get Prime!".

No joke.

We wouldnt do exchanges on consoles. At all. Unless it was genuinely faulty. We've had people try though. We also had a group of lads buy a PS2, PES3, a multitap aand pads and try to return it after a weekend. They looked well pissed when we didnt pointing out that the 10 day offer states that items must be returned in original condition. Instead of obviously taken out of the box and used for a weekend long PES3 session.

We wouldnt do exchanges on consoles. At all. Unless it was genuinely faulty. We've had people try though. We also had a group of lads buy a PS2, PES3, a multitap aand pads and try to return it after a weekend. They looked well pissed when we didnt pointing out that the 10 day offer states that items must be returned in original condition. Instead of obviously taken out of the box and used for a weekend long PES3 session.

The manager was more sympathetic towards me- I'd kept all the original packaging down to the tape, although he only refunded me half the value of the controllers and the remote from the blister packs because they weren't resellable.

Still stands out as one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Bloody Metroid.

Was this not inevitably going to happen at some point?

It is unfortunate in some respects - as usual the people who genuinely want to return a game for valid reasons are losing out due to the those who abuse the system.

It is unfortunate.

I wouldn't be too bothered about console games having 10 days removed. If it's faulty, fair enough. And that's easy to test. We cant test PC stuff.

Plus I think most of the people (at least in my store) who abuse it a the console users anayway.

But Consoles game can be copied. All you need is a DVD writer and some software and know how and broadband. It is too easy for Ps2, Ps1 and XBox.

You can't directly copy PSOne and PS2 games though can you? Or Xbox games for that matter?

Downloading them is a bit different to copying them.

If something doesn't work, the company has to give a refund.

But I totally agree with this, I'm just surprised it's taken so long.

That's where the complications arise.

If it doesnt work because your graphics card isnt good enough, then it's not the fault of the company. And as far as I know, they dont have to give a refund in situations like that. Because it is YOUR responsibilty to make sure you have the required stuff to run the thing.

You can't directly copy PSOne and PS2 games though can you? Or Xbox games for that matter?

Downloading them is a bit different to copying them.

you can directly copy all of them if you have a chipped xbox or ps2. xbox games rip straight onto the harddrive in 5 minutes, after that you can put them onto a dvd. ps2 games you can just straight copy in nero probably.

But Consoles game can be copied. All you need is a DVD writer and some software and know how and broadband. It is too easy for Ps2, Ps1 and XBox.

All you need for a PC game though is a PC, and access to the internet (for the no cd crack). It's much easier.

you can directly copy all of them if you have a chipped xbox or ps2. xbox games rip straight onto the harddrive in 5 minutes, after that you can put them onto a dvd. ps2 games you can just straight copy in nero probably.

You cant just straight copy PS2 games. It's a pain in the arse to do.

That's where the complications arise.

If it doesnt work because your graphics card isnt good enough, then it's not the fault of the company. And as far as I know, they dont have to give a refund in situations like that. Because it is YOUR responsibilty to make sure you have the required stuff to run the thing.

See Biffo's column in Edge about that.

He bought Deus Ex:IW and found that he needed a new card. So he had his computer upgraded for the specs listed.

And he still could not run the game.

See Biffo's column in Edge about that.

He bought Deus Ex:IW and found that he needed a new card. So he had his computer upgraded for the specs listed.

And he still could not run the game.

Yes, I agree it still happens. The only game I ever had trouble with was the first Deus Ex. Try as I might, and despite having a PC more than powerful to run it, it just crashed at certain points of the game. I tried three copies, all did exactly the same. I didnt have any weird bits n bobs in my machine either. That's why (as I said at the start) I think 10 day on PC is a good thing.

I suppose the ten day thing has served its purpose, its generated a load of loyal customers, so now they are probably going to phase it out. Fair enough really.

Well, no. If the 10 day thing was one of the reasons you shopped there, you'd have every reason to be pissed off if they got rid of it.

Actually, it is fair enough that they go trid of it. It's their shop and they can do what they want with it.

Good call, and not at all surprising.

As for console games, don't you have some sort of clause stating that the clerk can refuse a return if s/he suspects piracy? Something along those lines might not be all that stupid.

My local Game staff tell me of people who will come in and pick up a few Xbox or PS2 titles, return the next day, trade them all, then come back again the day after that and demand a refund... Now, all games might have been horrible, but somehow I doubt that.

Well, no. If the 10 day thing was one of the reasons you shopped there, you'd have every reason to be pissed off if they got rid of it.

I like the people who work in the Game I shop in, but I certainly wouldn't return if it weren't for the 10 day return policy. Heck, if that didn't exist I'd probably buy far fewer games in the first place.

I wonder if you had the min spec and it didnt run would you be legally allowed your money back.

Y'see, I'm not too sure about that either.

I heard that companies cannot actually put on the back which graphics cards the game WONT work with, they can only list what it will work with.

I think the stand GAME (certainly head office) would take would be that if you have the min requirement, and it still doesnt work, there must be something you're doing wrong (outdated drivers, software conflicts, etc).