IGNORED

Latest gamesTM scores

Swainy

Cacophonus, are you saying the dire state of UK games development is due to badly written magazines, and callous middlecore gamers?

I think American and Japanese games development is fueled by ethusiastic and knowledgeable gamers, and that shows in the quality of the games they make.

mag question -- why review a release with less 'features' and then cover the other system in a tiny box out? for example, uefa foot -- the ps2 gets a mention about online play, i'd imagine that'd be for review over the xbox version [which is without]. happens quite a lot, seems odd given the xbox live features mention in compatible games (again, as an example).

I think American and Japanese games development is fueled by ethusiastic and knowledgeable gamers, and that shows in the quality of the games they make.

Ooof. That's a fairly broad assumption about Western developers... :D One that isn't true...

Uh huh. And, of course, you never get egos in Japan or the US.

who are Jon Romero and Kenji Eno again?

The difference is that our industry is predominantly made up of people like that, in Japan and America they are relative anomalies.

And there are none of those in this country?

Don't be silly.

No it isn't.

Quite right.

What's more Cacophanous, how the fuck would you know? I meet developers from time to time and for the most part they're decent folk, regardless of where they're from. How do you have access to this information?

Quite right.

What's more Cacophanous, how the fuck would you know? I meet developers from time to time and for the most part they're decent folk, regardless of where they're from. How do you have access to this information?

He doesn't have access to any information. He's just making it all up.

:D

Quite right.

He does have experience though, working for EA.

Obviously he's communicating what we all know - EA are full of talentless, passionless* fucks.

*Apart from Cacky.

He does have experience though, working for EA.

Obviously he's communicating what we all know - EA are full of talentless, passionless* fucks.

*Apart from Cacky.

:D

Don't forget, he's there to make EA better!

Bwhaahahahahahaha.

Are they part of your shadowy clique?

No, I just get to watch.

As for the access, I probably have no more or less than you breaksmith (though I did work in Japan for a while). I can't understand how you are so blind to it though.

EA is full of good people though, but they are an American company.

No, I just get to watch.

As for the access, I probably have no more or less than you breaksmith (though I did work in Japan for a while). I can't understand how you are so blind to it though.

all the good stuff comes from EA Canada though :D

I sort of vaguely agree with Cack on this, but also don't and again his delivery is as poor as normal, so much so that a career in the post office must surely beckon...

I do think that the dev scene is a little closed minded to new ideas and fresh faces, although I`d put this down to marketing depts than anything else. There are clumsy dips in charge of some places, but also very cool people in charge of others.

In addition the point that the majority of publishers are in America and they`re more likely to want to pay in bucks than Pounds doesn`t seem to register in his thinking, not only that but some of the dev houses that have shut down recently like for example Lost Toys and Mucky Foot had some ace people, nice guys and gamers in charge, making the decisions... A passion for the games wasn`t the problem there.

not only that, but EA, love `em or hate `em (I`m ambivelent myself) are not the bastions of gamers running things for the love of the game I would say.. And they`re very succesful.

Anyhow, it`s down to marketing and publishers more than people ( :D ) for me. A good idea is a good idea, but if you can`t find a publisher then you`re stuffed, passionate retentive or not.

No, I just get to watch.

I know developers from a fair few companies and they're some of the most down to earth, passionate gamers I've ever met.

So, you'll hopefully understand why I think you're talking rubbish.

Seems like at least one of the Japanese masters disagrees anyway...

This from C&VG

KOJIMA SLAMS JAPANESE GAMES INDUSTRY

The Metal Gear Solid creator says West is "more passionate and energetic", blasting narrow focus of Japanese developers - plus, Rockstar alliance revealed!

18:12 "I'm personally not really interested in the Japanese videogame industry right now." Those were the damning words of globally acclaimed games developer Hideo Kojima, voicing a growing opinion in certain quarters of the industry that Japanese games development is in a state of decline.

Speaking to CVG during E3 2004 in Los Angeles last week, he said: "There aren't really that many interesting [Japanese] games right now, not like there are looking at the Western games industry," supporting our suggestion to him that Japan was no longer the games development superpower it once was.

And this on the back of his anti-Japanese games journo rant. Has Kojima gone mental ?

EDIT: Bloody subscription links.

This from C&VG

And this on the back of his anti-Japanese games journo rant. Has Kojima gone mental ?

.::: You should ask jeroenr about that. Since he was there, he'd probably know something about it.

This from C&VG

maybe caco converted him to the dark side :D

As for the Japanese industry, it is considerably more robust than ours. Simply because they make games their public actually want to play.

This is manifestly untrue. Read any of the CESA white papers in recent years and you'll see evidence for the decline of the Japanese market. When I went over a couple of years ago, every single developer, publisher, and market analyst was preoccupied with the need for Japanese publishers and developers to create games that were successful in the west, because, with one or two exceptions, the domestic Japanese market is simply not big enough to sustain development costs. Hence Capcom, SNK, Sega all undergoing significant financial difficulties, and you could probably include Konami in there too.

What's more, North America is increasingly emerging as a source of creatively successful videogames - BioWare, some of EA's studios, Ubisoft, Rockstar Games (ahem), there's a bunch of stuff coming out of the US right now. And of course there's loads of stuff coming out of the UK; TimeSplitters, Burnout, the GTA series, to name but a few.

The reason for so many UK developers going under is a combination of one publisher failing to make payments to any developer that worked for it, financial mismanagement (there's a much greater emphasis in the US on the need to grasp basic principles of financial management and analysis), and lack of commercial focus (like, the Mucky Foot guys made a great game in Startopia, but did they really think it would capture the public imagination to become the sort of breakout success needed to recoup costs?). Indeed one of the results of the dotcom boom was a profligate investment in the videogame sector; Eidos alone financed umpteen start-ups, which was never going to be sustainable over the long-term.

hitman Contracts Xbox 7

Painkiller PC 7

Red Dead Revolver Xbox 7

Rallisport Challenge 2 Xbox 8

Singstar PS2 7

Serious Sam: Next Encounter PS2 5

Powerdrome Xbox 6

Katamari Damashii PS2 8

Galleon Xbox 4

Armoured Core Nexus PS2 8

F-Zero GP Legend GBA 7

UEFA Euro 2004 Xbox 5

Hoshi No kirby GBA 7

The Suffering PS2 4

Feature's celebration of Doom

Retro Atari St Classic Machine

Greatest Game I, Robot

Reviews on Defender, 3D Deathchase and Armalyte.

Well done to Darran (Strider) as the Retro section is much better  :rolleyes:

how about those scores then, peopl... wait a minute.. Nexus only gets an 8?

What gives?!!!

Spin me round round baby right round...

hang on I`d forgotten. this IS a thread about GamesTM... I`d forgotten in all the excretement.

And what Taurus said about devcos. I forgot to add the fact that games were a little niche when they needed to be wider to make the name and niche when the name was made. but he put it all better than what I did, clever fella that he is.