IGNORED

Latest gamesTM scores

Swainy

Because you'd spend the first 10 pages of the review forgiving the flaws, stating how they are necessary and the remainder of the magazine bimbling on in enourmous pedantic detail about why its a good thing you can't invert the vertical axis.

:(

Hey, that sounds like me! ;)

(No, I really wouldn't... and don't, honest. I'm not that forgiving - well, maybe sometimes).

No.

You work for EA man, get some perspective eh? Money, innit?

It is a problem in Britain though. The games industry is in a pretty shaky state because it is populated by ignorant fools that don't play/understand games (how many developers have died recently, bear in mind that this is industry is growing explosively). At least in Japan and America they listen to the people who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable, here it is supressed and it shows in the quality of the games we make.

It seems very reasonable to me for PC Gamer or whoever to mark highly the latest installment of some graphically fabulous FPS but for Edge to mark them for being the same old stuff. It's why I read Edge and my mate reads PC Gamer, and we're both happy.

It is a problem in Britain though. The games industry is in a pretty shaky state because it is populated by ignorant fools that don't play/understand games (how many developers have died recently, bear in mind that this is industry is growing explosively). At least in Japan and America they listen to the people who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable, here it is supressed and it shows in the quality of the games we make.

So Kojima was wrong when he said that all Japanese Journalists are fucking idiots then?

Well yeah I guess this discussion was fun while it lasted.

Bizarre? Codemasters? Lionhead? Critereon? You are a stupid racist fuck.

So Kojima was wrong when he said that all Japanese Journalists are fucking idiots then?

That was more a personal grudge than anything factually wrong.

Well yeah I guess this discussion was fun while it lasted.

Bizarre? Codemasters? Lionhead? Critereon? You are a stupid racist fuck.

Two of those rely on an American publisher and, in anycase, that list pretty much sums up most of the decent developers. List the number of utterly stellar American and Japanese developers and it eclipses our sorry line-up.

I am not being racist but I don't see the logic of ignoring a problem just for the sake of national insecurity/pride.

Two of those rely on an American publisher and, in anycase, that list pretty much sums up most of the decent developers. List the number of utterly stellar American and Japanese developers and it eclipses our sorry line-up.

I am not being racist but I don't see the logic of ignoring a problem just for the sake of national insecurity/pride.

You do realise though that america has ten times the population of england. Of course there are more developers there.

But gone are the heady days of the late eighties and early ninties where there was many more developers in this country. There has been an undeniable collapse in the number and quality of british dev companies on the last 10 years. It is worth discussing and bemoaning tbf.

I'm assuming Cacky is really talking about himself being suppressed and misunderstood and ignored and vilified (despite the billion posts and reviews in national gaming magazines), and not the woes of small, creative, British developers.

You do realise though that america has ten times the population of england. Of course there are more developers there.

Why aren't they dying left right and centre then, like ours, they must be doing a better job than us surely (read: more relevant people in the industry)? I also don't think population is that big a deal either, considering the number of developers/publishers in Japan.

I'm assuming Cacky is really talking about himself being suppressed and misunderstood and ignored and vilified (despite the billion posts and reviews in national gaming magazines), and not the woes of small, creative, British developers.

Nope, but thanks for the charming personal slur.

This kind of petty undermining of people is also exactly the reason why games companies fall flat on their arse here.

but where are the facts in your argument? If they're dying left, right and centre, it's not because they don't have great ideas but because they're not getting financial support. They're not all badly managed, and to say that it's a UK only think is absurd. Hello to SNK and SEGA.

Why aren't they dying left right and centre then, like ours, they must be doing a better job than us surely (read: more relevant people in the industry)? I also don't think population is that big a deal either, considering the number of developers/publishers in Japan.

Oh, I agree with you that our publishing model is screwed, I just dont think you are giving the talent here enough credit. For such a small island with such a small population we are leaving an incredible mark on the world of videogames.

And yes, I know Japan are an island too, but 1. they've had a lot more experience with this and are a lot more intrinsicly linked to the world of games, and 2. they're market is pretty screwed right now too, with lots of developers in trouble.

but where are the facts in your argument? If they're dying left, right and centre, it's not because they don't have great ideas but because they're not getting financial support. They're not all badly managed, and to say that it's a UK only think is absurd. Hello to SNK and SEGA.

That statement was linked to a comment on the quality of Japanese games journalism.

The reason why the developers that went under didn't get financial support is because most of them were full of ignorant and egocentric idiots without any quality gaming ideas to back themselves up. The publishers, obviously, didn't want to subsidise that.

Oh, I agree with you that our publishing model is screwed, I just dont think you are giving the talent here enough credit. For such a small island with such a small population we are leaving an incredible mark on the world of videogames.

And yes, I know Japan are an island too, but 1. they've had a lot more experience with this and are a lot more intrinsicly linked to the world of games, and 2. they're market is pretty screwed right now too, with lots of developers in trouble.

We do have talent, but it's not being allowed to flourish (and I am tlaking about the "sweaty nerds" who don't get a break, rather than the inflated egos in the industry at present).

As for the Japanese industry, it is considerably more robust than ours. Simply because they make games their public actually want to play.

The reason why the developers that went under didn't get financial support is because most of them were full of ignorant and egocentric idiots without any quality gaming ideas to back themselves up. The publishers, obviously, didn't want to subsidise that.

Uh huh. And, of course, you never get egos in Japan or the US.

who are Jon Romero and Kenji Eno again?