Latest gamesTM scores

Swainy

As I mention on the Gamestyle forums, I'm sure the public would accept a magazine without scores.

I'm absolutely sure they wouldn't.

Scores let readers decide whether or not they are going to put the effort in to read something and offer closure. When I'm reading something I'm not definitely going to read all of, I look at quick, easily digestable nuggets. Nuggets and numbers. It's like a car review. I always look at the top speed, the 0-60 even though they really mean nothing and say nothing about the abilities and quality of the car.

The only magazine I think could get rid of scores is Edge and then only because they sell so many copies via subscription and have such a loyal readerbase and reputation that people will read what they say even without the ease of use scores provide. Even then it would be touch and go.

I agree completely but someone's got to be professional about things.

Zumm - why *should* MartTM respond in a reasoned fashion to a forum post impugning his integrity?

It seemed a fairly reasonable constructive post* in the circumstances. Anything else would have been foolish.

* "What's been posted is rubbish - but I'm not going to get dragged into a slanging match which I can't possibly win. Goodbye."

Well, I just had to go back to the start and read that one through. Marvellous entertainment. Words fail me where Cacky's concerned, I just get Phreak flashbacks. The similarities are uncanny (what is it about wannabe journalists?) Great to see that kind of enthusiasm about games, though.

probably not, it was just gamestyle@<mydomain>. Wouldn't use it anywhere else, see? An annoyance, nothing more ;)

Yeah, is it on show on our forums? If it is, I can only suggest you change the option.

Zumm - why *should* MartTM respond in a reasoned fashion to a forum post impugning his integrity?

It seemed a fairly reasonable constructive post* in the circumstances. Anything else would have been foolish.

* "What's been posted is rubbish - but I'm not going to get dragged into a slanging match which I can't possibly win. Goodbye."

He's obviously wise in the way of forums ;)

A helpful, detailed review on NTSC, even though I stumbled over the odd phrase. Didn't quite convince me its a whole lot of fun: all that stuff about heat made it sound a bit dull.

Still, I have now been persuaded to spend fifteen whole pounds on AC3. I'd better like it, and for the right reasons, or I'm going to cause such a fuss. Watch out.

Jesus christ this has been quite some read. What an absolute car crash of a thread.

Cacky you are not a liar. I completely believe what you say regarding this review and i admire your absolute unwavering integrity on this matter. Except for one thing, you still allowed for the review to be altered. Giving that consent then bitching on a public forum after the fact isn't integrity. it's sour grapes and it's unproffesionnal. Also, I understand the concerns of the Games TM boys with your mecha fixation. You ARE biased. Harp on about Virtual on Marz all you like, but slagging off a dreadful update fo your favourite game ever doesnt make you objective. A 6 is still too much for that game. Also, yes you reviewed Katamara, so how does that make you any less Mech obsessed? Its hardly like you reviewed a western game is it? We all know about your Jap fascination.

As for Games TM. In my mind their credibility is forever shattered. They obviously haven't been completely honest in this thread and their responses have actually done more damage than had they been silent. Personally I would have preferred them to come on here and say "we let cacky do the reviews cos he is literate and passionate, but we decided the score based on his text cos we know he tends to get a little too excited". thats what I see as has happened and that would have been a suitable explanation.

What a kerfuffle!

Cacky you are not a liar. I completely believe what you say regarding this review and i admire your absolute unwavering integrity on this matter. Except for one thing, you still allowed for the review to be altered. Giving that consent then bitching on a public forum after the fact isn't integrity. it's sour grapes and it's unproffesionnal. Also, I understand the concerns of the Games TM boys with your mecha fixation. You ARE biased. Harp on about Virtual on Marz all you like, but slagging off a dreadful update fo your favourite game ever doesnt make you objective. A 6 is still too much for that game. Also, yes you reviewed Katamara, so how does that make you any less Mech obsessed? Its hardly like you reviewed a western game is it? We all know about your Jap fascination.

I wasn't complaining initially about the score, just explaining that I originally scored Nexus higher. Other people picked up on the mention of pre-ordained scores, which wasn't my intention. As for why I let the review go as is, I felt that at least having the game mentioned in print with some decent content for the review would be enough. I thought posting a little addendum on here would have been acknowledged and then quietly overlooked, after all I thought with the recent deluge of private messages on Armored Core I thought people might be interested.

Concerning my objectivity, Virtual On Marz is enjoyable if you are familiar with the game mechanics from the previous games. I am also coming from the perspective that the original arcade game is one of the best versus experiences ever created. I also like non-Japanese games you know (after all I have been playing an awful lot of Homeworld 2, Hitman 2 and Vice City).

As for the order of the Armored Core games, it goes thus:

Armored Core

Armored Core Project Phantasma

Armored Core Master of Arena

Armored Core 2

Armored Core 2 Another Age

Armored Core 3

Armored Core 3 Silent Line

Armored Core Nexus

Nexus is as good as Armored Core 3, though for very different reasons. Silent Line is, currently, the best incarnation.

Jesus christ this has been quite some read. What an absolute car crash of a thread.

As for Games TM. In my mind their credibility is forever shattered. They obviously haven't been completely honest in this thread and their responses have actually done more damage than had they been silent. Personally I would have preferred them to come on here and say "we let cacky do the reviews cos he is literate and passionate, but we decided the score based on his text cos we know he tends to get a little too excited". thats what I see as has happened and that would have been a suitable explanation.

What a kerfuffle!

Away with yer reasoned thought! Away, I say! :P

As for Games TM. In my mind their credibility is forever shattered.

I'm not sure I see it this way. It's perfectly possible they wanted to gently remind Cacky that his favourite game doesn't automatically equal a 9, and that that would need to be justified, or moderated after the fact. Indeed, Mart explicitly stated that they said the roll around with a sticky ball game was an 8 or 9, and that Cacky had the final decision. It seems like Cacky made a decision not to push for the ball in order to try to promote AC.

We've no reason to think Cacky is a liar (except for some dimly remembered business about an IP address and another account), but I would find it easy to believe he didn't take a little gentle ribbing in the manner in which it was intended.

It is a little worrying though, as one of the things the mag has going for it is presumed honesty in scoring. I'd rather the matter was cleared up a bit better, as it will make me doubt GamesTM scores in future.

I'm not sure I see it this way. It's perfectly possible they wanted to gently remind Cacky that his favourite game doesn't automatically equal a 9, and that that would need to be justified, or moderated after the fact. Indeed, Mart explicitly stated that they said the roll around with a sticky ball game was an 8 or 9, and that Cacky had the final decision. It seems like Cacky made a decision not to push for the ball in order to try to promote AC.

We've no reason to think Cacky is a liar (except for some dimly remembered business about an IP address and another account), but I would find it easy to believe he didn't take a little gentle ribbing in the manner in which it was intended.

It is a little worrying though, as one of the things the mag has going for it is presumed honesty in scoring. I'd rather the matter was cleared up a bit better, as it will make me doubt GamesTM scores in future.

My favourite game is Virtual On, I mean DUH! :P