Latest gamesTM scores

Swainy

Ah, but are they going to give away free packets of Maynard's Sours?

Maynard's Sours + JoeK's mouth = faithful stooge for life.

In all seriousness, do they give out a demo DVD or something like that?

I haven't even seen the mag, is it actually any good?

Theyl just put the p/o game thro 2 quid less and sell u the mag aswell. I bang on loads about GAME's preowned till process being completely operator dependant. They can discount p/o what they like, just like when they tried to get people to take game.net discs.

Theyl just put the p/o game thro 2 quid less and sell u the mag aswell. I bang on loads about GAME's preowned till process being completely operator dependant. They can discount p/o what they like, just like when they tried to get people to take game.net discs.

Pretty much the same at Gamestation. Apart from you can just whack in 500 and then press Amount Down = £5 off stuff.

Head Office never check either, which is pretty stupid. It shouldn't be so open-ended on their till systems. Means you can do brilliant deals for people you like. :wub:

Anyways, this issue of GamesTM is substantially better than the last, I'm liking the vibrant cover too. :rolleyes:

The Retro section is almost perfect too, if only I didn't feel so young when reading about all these old games, and knew what half of them were. ;) So yeah, well done Darran. Really liking the reviews of the Hudson collection.

The reviews have improved a lot too, going to subscribe soon. :wub:

Pretty much the same at Gamestation. Apart from you can just whack in 500 and then press Amount Down = £5 off stuff.

Head Office never check either, which is pretty stupid. It shouldn't be so open-ended on their till systems. Means you can do brilliant deals for people you like. :wub:

Anyways, this issue of GamesTM is substantially better than the last, I'm liking the vibrant cover too. :rolleyes:

The Retro section is almost perfect too, if only I didn't feel so young when reading about all these old games, and knew what half of them were. ;) So yeah, well done Darran. Really liking the reviews of the Hudson collection.

The reviews have improved a lot too, going to subscribe soon. :wub:

16 pages in and someone finally discusses the contents of the issue (as opposed to griping about the scores). Someone catch me before I fai...

Im at Gamestation mate, ex-Game. Its the Back cat dvds thats most abused by people..i dont bother much though, i just borrow em.

Its pretty smart compared to Game, just mooch on in wearing jeans and trainers, listen to my own cds all day, have a bit crack with people and do some filing.

Oh and yeah GamesTM is getting better, if still a little misplaced with its rare hatchet job reviews. More of em pls but with a bit more vitriol. Think Rev Stu's dismemberment of duff Amiga games in AP.

Im at Gamestation mate, ex-Game. Its the Back cat dvds thats most abused by people..i dont bother much though, i just borrow em.

Its pretty smart compared to Game, just mooch on in wearing jeans and trainers, listen to my own cds all day, have a bit crack with people and do some filing.

Oh and yeah GamesTM is getting better, if still a little misplaced with its rare hatchet job reviews. More of em pls but with a bit more vitriol. Think Rev Stu's dismemberment of duff Amiga games in AP.

Yeah, we used to get ace stuff back-cat. Mmm, Band of Brothers boxset! Hoo har!

Hasn't the trade and cash price for back-cat DVDs now dropped to the floor? I wouldn't know for sure anymore, I was "fired" by some pricks who call themselves "managers".

I'll PM you about this so we don't clog this thread up with more shit. :D

Oh, and my local Co-op no longer stocks Edge, although has 5 copies of GamesTM, I bought one. ;)

50p for a back cat dvd @ trade, 20p cash. And they wonder why people dont do it.

Nowt beats GAMEs dvd price fiddling though. Code swapping Box sets for rubbish and buying them for a quid and stuff.

16 pages in and someone finally discusses the contents of the issue (as opposed to griping about the scores). Someone catch me before I fai...

OI, and while your here, can you do something about actually getting it into the shops??

Christ, It's even almost impossible to get it in the shops near your old place of work. Bloody Westbourne newsagents!

I worked it out on the train!

After the pique of interest in Edge after the E128/editorial staff quit saga, this is Games's attempt at a PR stunt to improve sales.

Let's face it, now that we know, we're buying it to read the review, ain't we?

2nd rate as usual ;)

Here's my advice: drope the scores. They're totally pointless, and just encourage these meaningless debates. It's like being in a room full of medieval theologians.

A good analogy, and as compelling a reason as any to drop scores.

Maybe its because the actual contents of the mag as so poor, nobody bothers reading it?? Yea, that's it... hardly a compelling read. You're second out the door with news, have second-rate exclusives that don't live up to the hype of the covers/editorials, inaccurate game reviews and pointless features written based mostly on speculatation and anecdotes.

OK?

Maybe its because the actual contents of the mag as so poor, nobody bothers reading it??  Yea, that's it... hardly a compelling read.  You're second out the door with news, have second-rate exclusives that don't live up to the hype of the covers/editorials, inaccurate game reviews and pointless features written based mostly on speculatation and anecdotes.

OK?

handbag.jpg

Martin's already explained that we can't go into this in deeper detail. I was simply explaining that we don't tell of freelancers what score they have to give a game.

You'll have to draw your own inclusions to this like everyone else...

But how about your permanent contributors, do you tell them?

I have to say that I find the idea of deflating (or inflating) a score purely to match review text a little odd. Surely the best way to go about it would be to point out that the review text doesn't give any indication of how the review arrived at the score and tell them to rewrite the text accordingly?

Adjusting or closely scrutinising the score of someone who is known to be overly enthusiastic about a particular type of game is a sensible approach as is looking very closely at all games that are scored over a particular threshold. I can't see anything wrong with that.

I don't think MartTM's approach in this thread has been very constructive so far. He's entitled to feel angry if he's been wronged but he might have been wise to count to ten before posting.

As I mention on the Gamestyle forums, I'm sure the public would accept a magazine without scores... But would game publishers be happy about it? (bearing in mind that 3DO are not around these days)

I don't think MartTM's approach in this thread has been very constructive so far. He's entitled to feel angry if he's been wronged but he might have been wise to count to ten before posting.

The same could be said about Cacky's original post...

Hey! It's your writer that is griping about the scores, not us! ;)

Anyway, it would be a shame if the infamous scores threads led to you all going away for good: stick around, even if you have to use a new alias.

The scores debate is as old and dull as the hills, but for what its worth I'm sure most magazine purchasers want them. Just because it means that you journalists have to put up with a few mad letters, threads on Internet forums and your own Robot Fighting Man malfunctioning, shouldn't mean the readers have to suffer.