Armoured Core Nexus PS2 8

F-Zero GP Legend GBA 7

UEFA Euro 2004 Xbox 5

Hoshi No kirby GBA 7

The Suffering PS2 4

Feature's celebration of Doom

Retro Atari St Classic Machine

Greatest Game I, Robot

Reviews on Defender, 3D Deathchase and Armalyte.

Well done to Darran (Strider) as the Retro section is much better :)

I was really looking forward to Galleon as well. :)

It got a 7 in Edge. Play it and make up your own mind.

Serious Sam - a 5? Hmmm... I'm really enjoying the cube version. For £15 it's a blast. Still, each to their own.

Not sure I agree with that ACNexus score though. An 8? Tsk! :)

And Rallisport 2 gets an 8. Interesting...

Just so people know, I reviewed both Armored Core Nexus and Katamari Damashii. I did want to give both a 9, but I knew that I could only get a possible 9 on one of the two (so Katamari Damashii had to be demoted before I sent it off). Naturally, my attempts at keeping the 9 for Nexus were usurped, despite my reasoning in the text and over the phone/e-mail/standing outside the office with a gun (not mine, a mate's).

In all honesty, unless they have radically changed the text (which I doubt they have) then Armored Core will at least get some fair coverage for once. That being said, I also reviewed Armored Core 3 back in the day and they gave that an 8 too [sigh].

As for whether I call it a "mech" or "mecha" game, I think the answer is pretty obvious (unless the delightful Mr. Mathers has been cheeky, he does half love to wind me up...the little darling!).

Just so people know, I reviewed both Armored Core Nexus and Katamari Damashii. I did want to give both a 9, but I knew that I could only get a possible 9 on one of the two (so Katamari Damashii had to be demoted before I sent it off).

What kind of bullshit reasoning is that?

I was thinking the same? Why should two unrelated game's marks be reliant upon each other? That's very odd reasoning. What kind of policy do they have at GamesTM? Only 2 9's per issue or something... :o

Just so people know, I reviewed both Game A and Game B. I did want to give both a 9, but I knew that I could only get a possible 9 on one of the two (so Game B had to be demoted before I sent it off).

Just for the sake of precision - what kind of bullshit reasoning is that?

Both are stunning games, but I was strictly told before I reviewed them that I wasn't allowed to give either of them a 9. Either they don't trust me or they genuinely felt the games weren't that good (I did demo them obviously).

Considering that it was going to be a long hard fight on scores, I realised that getting one game awarded a score of 9 was feasible whereas getting two awarded that score would be nigh on impossible. I chose Nexus over Katamari because I felt that after eight fucking games it deserved a break.

As I said though, both are stunning games I just wish I could have scored them accordingly.

Both are stunning games, but I was strictly told before I reviewed them that I wasn't allowed to give either of them a 9. Either they don't trust me or they genuinely felt the games weren't that good (I did demo them obviously).

Why would they have you review them if they wanted to control the score? I appreciate you've probably put a lot of hard work into the review process but if they have some sort of preconception about what score to give them, why bother giving them to you at all?

Someone's probably written this more succinctly already.

STRIIIIDER!!!!!!!!!!!

What's all this about? Why couldn't either of these games be given a 9? I know nothing about Nexus but Katamari is one of the most original, intelligent and enjoyable games I've ever played. That they would be denied any score before review is bizarre, especially from such a non-commercial magazine.

We, your public, demand answers.

Considering that it was going to be a long hard fight on scores, I realised that getting one game awarded a score of 9 was feasible whereas getting two awarded that score would be nigh on impossible. I chose Nexus over Katamari because I felt that after eight fucking games it deserved a break.

As I said though, both are stunning games I just wish I could have scored them accordingly.

Isn't this exactly what you moan about with Edge reviews? That the text doesn't match the score? And now you yourself are actively participating in the self same thing? How could you even agree to write a review when you can't score the game as you see fit? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Why would they have you review them if they wanted to control the score? I appreciate you've probably ut a lot of hard work into the review process but if they have some sort of preconception about what score to give them, why bother giving them to you at all?

Someone's probably written this more succintly already.

It's their magazine and they have their own vision on how certain games should and should not be scored. I do respect that and the editorial team are dedicated and enthusiastic writers (which is not something I can say about people in Britain very often), so they aren't "playing" the scores on some political angle.

They saw the games first hand and thought, on behalf of their readers who would be buying these games, that a score of 9 would be too high. I disagreed with that but they, obviously, had the last word on the matter.

Isn't this exactly what you moan about with Edge reviews? That the text doesn't match the score? And now you yourself are actively participating in the self same thing? How could you even agree to write a review when you can't score the game as you see fit? That just doesn't make sense to me.

It's not as though I didn't fight! Jesus...

They saw the games first hand and thought, on behalf of their readers who would be buying these games, that a score of 9 would be too high. I disagreed with that but they, obviously, had the last word on the matter.

OK fair enough. I kinda understand that but it doesn't make me want to buy the mag.