IGNORED

Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand

Sprite Machine

"The Sun is your hand"... no it bloody isn't; it's up there in the sky, behind that huge fecking grey cloud!

So I'm guessing it was delayed in Europe for the simple reason that it could be released right on the brink of the sunny summer. That way it reduces the amount of people complaining that it doesn't work - and I can see why...

I've just had a quick bash at this on my way to work, and I've found that unless you can actually see the sun (ie. if no shadow ye see, no sunlight thar be) then it ain't gonna work. I managed to position myself under some sunlight (behind a cloud, this morning - oh why couldn't I have gotten the game yesterday?!) and managed to get the sunlight gauge up to about 3 or 4 (over half full at one point). It seems then, they haven't really made many changes to the sensitivity of the sensor for this region. But I guess that remains to be seen (lunchtime session should reveal more under a more overhead sun).

As for how crucial light is to the game.. well, I got through the first (small) dungeon with zero light (despite being on the train, by a window - well alright, it was a bit murky), so there's nowt to stop you from getting through large amounts of the game in darkness (there are recharge points and solar nuts to ease the pain). However it is impossible to progress without any sun at all, because you need a hefty dose of sunlight to fry the dungeon boss with the Pile Driver outside.

This is going to be one of those games that cut into 'real life' timetables; as the in-game instruction says - "schedule your play time... sunny days are Boktai days!" B) :D

As for the gameplay; controls are a bit fiddly, most noticably aiming and shooting your solar gun (so far, at least) and you have to hold a lot of 'diagonals'.

Kojima defacto stealth sections seem in order, though nothing crucial to get through the level that I played. Enemies do seem to require some thought to beat them.

More soon, I guess.

Diagonals are easier on the GBA than on the GBA SP. The SP pad likes to press the diagonals for you too it seems. Try to play tetris on an SP and when you press down to make the brick go faster it will also go across. grrr

as the in-game instruction says - "schedule your play time... sunny days are Boktai days!" B) :)

Wrong. Sunny days are "no excuses not to be outside doing the garden" (adults) or "running around in the woods/fields or on your bike" (kids).

Now, if only we could combine Boktai with Dance Dance Revolution, kids could convince their parents that they were playing outside and getting exercise.

I tried to play this at lunch but couldn't do anything 'cos I'm indoors.

So I'm stuck now. Hopefully it'll still be light when I get home, otherwise I'm screwed until either the weekend or a very dangerous walk across some roads in the morning sun tomorrow.

:)

Great idea, I guess. Shame it's making it a bugger to play the damned thing!

The thing is, I'm sure the Edge review stated it was possible (just harder) to play it without sunlight (I may be mistaken). But right now I actually cannot progress - at all. I'm stuck, right now. Unless I get some light input, I can't do ANYTHING!

This sucks.

The annoying thing is, sunlight was hardly used at all in the dungeon. They needed to balance that out a bit better, I feel.

Sunlight's more of a pain in the arse than I first assumed- even perched on a table at my south-facing windows near sunset, I could only muster 3 bars. I played it a bit last night, though, and there are intermittently appearing gems (called "Solar bamboo shoots" for reasons which I can only assume relate to dodgy translation) which if you fire near (even with an empty gun) will open up and release life bugs or sun bugs (or dark bugs, which do the oppose of sun bugs).

It seems that fears that the sun thing would get in the way were pretty well-founded.

About the only thing you absolutly cannot do without sunlight is defeat an end of level boss, as Sprite Machine says the Pile Driver won't work without it.

Playing without sun requires you to be more stealthy in the dungeons ( whereas before you could refill your 'gun del sol' by conveniently played sunbeams ), and makes Boktai far more tense/difficult as a result. 'Buying sun' from the shops doesn't really become available until a dungeon or two in, so until then you need to make shrewd use of the solar containers in each dungeon ( storing solar energy when you have a surplus of it for future, emergency use etc ).

I reviewed this a little while back and it wasn't that sun mechanic that did it in for me but rather the repetitive nature of the gameplay. It is very polished, but by the time we'd got to the dreaded 'ice and lava' worlds I decided to chuck it in, which was a shame as there's genuine innovation in that there cartridge.

About the only thing you absolutly cannot do without sunlight is defeat an end of level boss, as Sprite Machine says the Pile Driver won't work without it.

Playing without sun requires you to be more stealthy in the dungeons ( whereas before you could refill your 'gun del sol' by conveniently played sunbeams ), and makes Boktai far more tense/difficult as a result. 'Buying sun' from the shops doesn't really become available until a dungeon or two in, so until then you need to make shrewd use of the solar containers in each dungeon ( storing solar energy when you have a surplus of it for future, emergency use etc ).

There are a fair few bits in early dungeons which are nearly impossible with the Gun del Sol available to stun enemies. :o

It's like taking away Snake's kick-kick-punch.

The Sun mechanic is a nice idea, but the way it's implemented (especially the way you absolutely *need* sunlight to do bosses) is a tad too intrusive.

It's a shame, because it masks Boktai's other innovation - the use of the real time clock. Play certain levels in the middle of the night and you'll find that all the enemies are asleep!

I'd like the same team to drop the solar gimmick altogether and make a game based entirely around time. They'd have to implement the time-sensitive element in a way that doesn't become a chore (there'd be nothing worse than a game that *demanded* you set your alarm clock for 6am), but it's an intriguing idea. Apart from Animal Crossing on the GC, I can't think of a recent title where the real-time clock has been used to seriously influence game-play.

I've always thought Pikmin would have been nicer if the longer you left the game alone, the bigger the crop of Pikmin you could harvest when you came back to it.

Apart from Animal Crossing on the GC, I can't think of a recent title where the real-time clock has been used to seriously influence game-play.

Certain missions in Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike change at different times of day. Playing in the day sets you in a Y-Wing on an all out bombing raid, but night fighting takes place in a Landspeeder, and requires more stealth than action.