IGNORED

Retro Gamer news

- Retro Gamer 2 back in stock!

For those of you who missed issue 2 (and for those of you who are eBay speculators!), we have some copies back in stock. These are copies that have come back from shops, and are complete issues with coverdiscs. To order a copy visit www.retrogamer.net/retro2.shtml

- Issue 4 out soon

Issue 4 will be on sale on 27th May from all good newsagents. If you wish to guarantee your copy you can pre-order on the website now. Details of content can also be found there. This month's coverdisc will include the usual games collection, plus over 60 minutes of C64 music! Visit www.retrogamer.net/retro4.shtml to take a look or place your pre-order.

- Last chance for the Namco subs offer

Our subscription offer with the free Namco 5-in-1 game will run for one more month only, so if you wish to guarantee your future issues of Retro Gamer and get the game system free, this is the last call. Pop along to www.retrogamer.net/retrosubs.shtml to place your order now.

- We're going monthly

Did we mention we are going monthly? From issue 4 onwards, Retro Gamer will be published every month. That's 12 issues packed with retro goodness per year!

- Get in touch

As always we welcome your feedback. Please feel free to email martyn.carroll@livepublishing.co.uk with any editorial comments or suggestions, or iain.anderson@livepublishing.co.uk for any sales/subs matters.

Best wishes,

The Retro Gamer Team

http://www.retrogamer.net

The news about issue 2 being available again is going to make painful reading for those who have just paid £20-30 for it on eBay. ;) Anyway, it seems the eBay Retro Gamer phenomenon is dying down now with issue 1 now going for half of what it was only a couple of weeks ago.

It is good news that it's coming out monthy, but I really do hope they get rid of the CD or at least stop charging £6. It is too much for such a thin magazine printed on cheap paper for me to feel the need to buy it regularly. Apart from this I wish them the best. Issue 4 is looking promising from the cover.

i still think its too expensive and now that its gone monthly, its going to get stale when it runs out of retro topics to re-cycle, and people are going to stop wanting to pay £6 for it.

i think they need to distribute all their coverdisk contents online, because as they don't actually own the rights to them they should not be charging for them, which of course they are.

and if they distributed everthing online, they could cut the cost of the DVD (and maybe make it available mail-order for its 5 readers that don't have broadband net access at home) and sell it for say £3 a month.

of course there is always the chance it has picked up lots of "casual retrogamer" fans, who were wowed by the big list of free games on the front, but when they realise that only about 5 of them are playable for more than ten minutes they aren't going to carry on paying £6 a month for long. but they might pay £3.

It is really cool seeing a magazine in WH Smiths with spectrum games in it again though.

i think they need to distribute all their coverdisk contents online, because as they don't actually own the rights to them they should not be charging for them, which of course they are.

The Gremlin games were licensed from Alchemist Research.

I thought you would appreciate that Bunta, I know how much you dislike our retro section :P

Indeed I do old chap!

:P

But I must be honest and say that I did have a look at an issue yesterday in Smiths and quite liked the retro bit. Maybe all the abuse is paying off and Strider has become a super ninja writer after all!

Or put it another way - at least you have the guts to come on here and talk about it and that counts for a lot in my veiw (which of course counts for nothing in the grand scheme of things!)

;)

Thanks Bunta,

I know we have a lot of critics, but I do actually take all comments on board and do want to make the retro section as good as possible. Continued, constructive criticism is always going to be appreciated.

It is good news that it's coming out monthy, but I really do hope they get rid of the CD or at least stop charging £6. It is too much for such a thin magazine printed on cheap paper for me to feel the need to buy it regularly. Apart from this I wish them the best. Issue 4 is looking promising from the cover.

I agree with you 100% on this.

The price of the magazine really was expensive when it was bi-monthly, but now it's gone monthly, it REALLY is a lot of money to fork out. I can get 3 issues of GamesTM for that!

I'm with dropping the cover DVD too if it'll get the price of the magazine dropped. So far there has been nothing on the three discs given away so far that I've wanted, and now they're sitting on my shelf unused.

On to the subject of the GamesTM `Retro` section. That was one of the reasons I got myself a subscription to the magazine.

Initially it was really good, but now it REALLY needs some in-depth information about the games and machines. A few paragraphs about a machine, and two pages of crap screenshots do not impress me one bit.

Strider, now that you're the boss of this section please, please make this whole section more detailed.

Now you've got some competition with Retro Gamer going monthly, I'm expecting big things from the GamesTM retro section.

No pressure ;)

Rob

Rob, any chance of selling that Gemlin CD that came with Issue 3 at all?.

Hiya,

I don't really want to sell it as I've not had a chance to rummage through it yet.

I'll probably hold on to it.

Why don't you buy the magazine from the RG web site?

Rob

I'm happy to pay my £2.00 an issue subscription to GamesTM mostly for the retro section.

But theres no way I can stomach paying £6.00 for a mag, with a DVD I probably won't even get around to chucking in the PC.

Hope the price does drop so I can start getting it

But the Lotus trilogy is there?. Nigel Mansell?. Venus Fly-Trap?. Team Suzki?. Are they all there?. Can I take it they all have poor PC DOS style sound and don't sound as good as the Amiga titles did?

I'm going to grab Issue 3 from my local Gamestation providing they haven't ran out. Can anyone list all the Gremlin games that are included on the CD?.

Amiga: Artura, Axel's Magic Hammer, Combo Racer, Deflektor, Disposable Hero, Footballer of the Year, Gary Lineker's Hot Shot, Harlequin, Hero Quest, Impossamole, John Lowe's Ultimate Darts, K240, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Lotus Turbo Challenge 3, Micky Mouse, Pegasus, Premier Manager 1, Premier Manager 2, Premier Manager 3, Shadow Fighter, Space Crusade 1, Space Crusade 2, Super Cars 2, Switchblade 2, Team Suzuki, Toyota Celica GT Rally, Utopia, Venus The Flytrap, Video Kid.

Amstrad: Auf Weidersehen Monty, Avenger, Basil The Great Mouse Detective, Blood Brothers, Blood Valley, Bounder, Butcher Hill, Convoy Raider, Dark Fusion, Death Wish 3, Deflektor, The Duct, Footballer of the Year 1, Footballer of the Year 2, Future Knight, Gary Lineker's Hotshot, Gary Lineker's Soccer Skills, Gary Lineker's Superstar Soccer, HATE, Hero Quest, Impossamole, Jack The Nipper 1, Jack The Nipper 2, Krakout, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Mask 1, Mask 2, Mask 3, Masters of the Universe, Mickey Mouse, Monty on the Run, Motor Massacre, Nigel Mansell's World Championship, Night Raider, Pink Panther, Samurai Trilogy, Shadow of the Beast, Shoe People, The, Shove-a-Sledge, Skate Crazy, Snakes and Hazards, Space Crusade, Super Cars, Super Scramble Simulator, Switchblade, Techno Cop, Things Bounce Back, Tiddly Drinks, Toyota Celica GT Rally, Trailblazer, Way of the Tiger.

Atari ST: Artura, Axel's Magic Hammer, Butcher Hill, Combo Racer, Deflektor, Federation of Free Traders, Footballer of the Year 2, Harlequin, HATE, Hero Quest, Impossamole, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Lotus Turbo Challenge 3, Mickey Mouse, Mindbender, Nigel Mansell's World Championship, Northstar, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Space Crusade 1, Space Crusade 2, Super Cars 1, Super Cars 2, Switchblade 1, Switchblade 2, Team Suzuki, Techno Cop, Toyota Celica GT Rally, Trailblazer, Utopia, Utopia The New Worlds, Venus Fly Trap, Video Kid.

BBC Micro: Footballer of the Year, Krakout, Star Clash.

Commodore 16: Auf Weidersehen Monty, Bounder, Dorks Dilemma, Footballer of the Year, Future Knight, Gullwing Fulcon, Jetbrix, Jung Fu Kid, Magician's Curse, The, Monty on the Run, Petals of Doom, Planet Search, Project Nova, Reach for the Sky, Rescue from Zylon, Sword of Destiny, Trailblazer, Tube Runner, Tycoon Tex, Way of the Tiger, Wimbledon, Xaron Wars, Xargon's Revenge, Xcellor8

Commodore 64: Artura, Auf Weidersehen Monty, Avenger, Basil The Great Mouse Detective, Blood Valley, Bounder, Bulldog, Butcher Hill, Convoy Raider, Dark Fusion, Death Wish 3, Deflektor, Footballer of the Year 1, Footballer of the Year 2, Future Knight, Greg Norman's Ultimate Golf, HATE, Hercules: Slayer of the Damned, Hero Quest, Impossamole, Jack The Nipper 1, Jack The Nipper 2, Krakout, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Mask 1, Mask 2, Mask 3, Masters of the Universe, Metabolis, Mickey Mouse, Monty on the Run, Motor Massacre, North Star, Potty Pigeon, Rebounder, Roy of the Rovers, Samurai Trilogy, Skate Crazy, Space Crusade, Sports-a-Roni, Suicide Express, Super Cars, Super Sports, Switchblade, Techno Cop, Things Bounces Back, Trailblazer 1, Trailblazer 2, Vampire's Empire, Wanted Monty Mole, Way of the Tiger, West Bank.

Spectrum: Alien Evolution, Alternative World Games, Artura, Auf Weidersehen Monty, Avenger, Basil The Great Mouse Detective, Blood Brothers, Blood Valley, Bounder, Butcher Hill, Convoy Raider, Dark Fusion, Death Wish 3, Deflektor, Duct, The, Final Matrix, The, Footballer of the Year 1, Footballer of the Year 2, Future Knight, Gary Lineker's Superskills, Gary Lineker's Superstar Soccer, Grumpy Grumphrey Supersleuth, HATE, Hercules: Slayer of the Damned, Hero Quest 1, Hero Quest 2, Impossamole, Jack The Nipper 1, Jack The Nipper 2, Krakout, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Mask 1, Mask 2, Mask 3, Masters of the Universe, Metabolis, Mickey Mouse, Monty Is Innocent, Monty on the Run, Motor Massacre, Muncher, The, Nigel Mansell's World Championship, Night Raider, North Star, Pink Panther, Potty Pigeon, Rocky, Roy of the Rovers, Sam Stoat Safebreaker, Samurai Trilogy, Shadow of the Beast, Shoe People, The, Skate Crazy, Snakes and Hazards, Space Crusade, Super Cars, Super Scrambler Simulator, Super Sports, Switchblade, Techno Cop, Things Bounces Back, Tinder Box, Tour De Force, Toyota Celica GT Rally, Trailblazer, Vampire's Empire, Wanted Monty Mole, Way of the Tiger, West Bank.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the magazine to day, its rather lovely, and very unpretensious, you can tell these people love what they are writing about. However the six quid price point is a problem for me. I really doubt i'll ever use the cd rom, how much would the mag cost with out it? Would you ever think of getting rid of it?

If the mag was say around 3.50 a month i'd buy everytime as it stand its just to much.

I'm a fan of the theory of the CD, but not a fan of the content. Aside from last month's Gremlin extravaganza, it's been pretty weak. The emulators aside (which I can get from the net anyhow), they're all simple PC clones.

I much prefer the actual games.