IGNORED

PSP: 2.5hrs Gameplay 10hrs Audio

Ryan

Actually, there are few consistent airline rules regarding what you can and cannot use. Some folks have been able to use laptops, but have had to leave their iPods switched off. Turns out that nobody really tests any of the devices, post-radio-transmitter, to see if they interfere with the plane's systems at all.

i don't travel that often but most airlines i've been on prohibit use of anything with lasers such as cd players, mini disc, dvd drives on lap tips etc.

i don't travel that often but most airlines i've been on prohibit use of anything with lasers such as cd players, mini disc, dvd drives on lap tips etc.

Why? Will the laser slice the plane in two? Why not ban magnetic drives?

I'm not disputing that it's the rules, I'm just pointing out that they're spectacularly stupid rules.

i'm sure that's right but them's still the rules.

Indeed. They probably did it to start with cos they thought there was a chance stuff could interfere but seeing as everyone listened to the warnings, there was no harm in carrying on the ban, cos it's just better for everyone really.

Apparently it's the same in hospitals but I dunno about that.

Indeed. They probably did it to start with cos they thought there was a chance stuff could interfere but seeing as everyone listened to the warnings, there was no harm in carrying on the ban, cos it's just better for everyone really.

Apparently it's the same in hospitals but I dunno about that.

Most hospitals won't let you in with any sort of transciever switched on.

Most hospitals have pager systems on the go constantly and a few are trialling Wi-Fi palmtops, though. :(

Sorry, this has probably been mentioned somewhere but my MiniDisc battery (that's one single rechargable AA) lasts hours and hours and hours and hours.

It's a Sony machine.

How much different can accessing PSP data be to accessing MD music? Surely a MD is rotating all the time but a PSP disc won't be.

PSP has a big-ass screen so that together with needing to read off the screen (and process whatever it has to do with that) all takes up more battery.

stupid or not you're not going to be able to play your PSP lad

I've actually been allowed to use my MD player on a plane before so I can't see a PSP being an exception to that? I guess the specifics vary from airline to airline.

Sorry, this has probably been mentioned somewhere but my MiniDisc battery (that's one single rechargable AA) lasts hours and hours and hours and hours.

It's a Sony machine.

How much different can accessing PSP data be to accessing MD music? Surely a MD is rotating all the time but a PSP disc won't be.

Does your MiniDisc player have a big colour LCD screen? I thought not.

The difference with the MD (and indeed the Sony Walkman, which gives more than 60 hours of play from 1 AA these days) is that it's been through more than a few iterations to improve efficiency.

Yeah, and surely there are learnings from that. This is Sony, they must stand as good a chance of getting top battery life as anyone else. I'd have thought.

Kahless, yes you plank. I know that. I'm talking about the impact of moving parts you moron :( . It's a handheld with disc access.

errrr... you?

Weren't you moaning about being a poor student a while back?

I don't think even I'll get both, and I'm fucking loaded.

Erm... good point.

Fuck, even if I budget carefully and make do with my crappy laptop for a year it won't be too easy to get both.

My sony MD player manages around 12 hours from it's rechargable battery - but with an aesthetically unpleasing but battery life extending piece of genius you can plug a dry battery compartment in, taking battery life sailing upto 35 hours, by piggybacking the regular battery.

Could the PSP do similar?

Also while mentioning MD similarities - have you noticed that the PSP has the same connector for the headphone socket as the MD does - so presumably you'll be able to get a remote for it for when playing .mp3s...which is nice.

My sony MD player manages around 12 hours from it's rechargable battery - but with an aesthetically unpleasing but battery life extending piece of genius you can plug a dry battery compartment in, taking battery life sailing upto 35 hours, by piggybacking the regular battery.

Could the PSP do similar?

I've already mentioned that Sony list an external battery pack and Remote Commander as accessories, with prototype versions of GPRS modules etc. on the way.

They also sell a stand.

That defeats the purpose though Laine - if you're going to sit and play inside then why not play a PS2/PS3?

I hope they can sort this out before it's released, was really looking forward to playing GT4 at the Airport <_<

toilet.jpg

fuck off!

The GP32 is still amazing if you're a retro fiend. A spectrum, pc engine, c64, atari ST, megadrive and snes in your pocket.

It's just that is Harvest bought one of those, he's blatantly going to buy a DS and a PSP. Probably a tapwave and a prometheus as well.

Ooooh, get you.

It's just because I'm jealous, I wouldn't ever really call Harvest a loser.