IGNORED

Nintendo DS third party games!

No Control

That's not the future of gaming. It's something but...you can't seriously tell me that's hugely exciting. I am being critical here but I'm just amazed Nintendo haven't got any sort of "killer app", to use an old skool expression. Why do I HAVE to have one of these. So far, I see no reason at all.

Why are you always so incredibly negative when it comes to Nintendo? How can you not be excited about the stuff they have shown?

At least the PSP is gorgeous, even if it has nothing new on it.

So THAT's the future of gaming than? A pretty device with nothing new on it? *shakes head*

How can you not be excited about the stuff they have shown?

Because very very little of it , is new and exciting.

Its the same old same old.

I can't see anything on the DS that makes me want to rush out and buy one. (although I will)

The PSP on the other hand, simply oozes sex appeal. I need that machine, now.

Birds love it, do you see?

So THAT's the future of gaming than? A pretty device with nothing new on it? *shakes head*

What he said plus "better than a really ugly device with nothing new on it."

Pac Pix aounds alright. I'm still not getting the same buzz out of the idea of playing these games than I am out of the idea of stroking the PSP's oh so beautiful flanks.

The PSP barely exists and everyone is saying it's going to be loads better.

The hardware looks gorgeous, but I'd loved to have seen some games running on it. But there was nothing. Spiderman on UMD will not get me excited about a games console, nor will a massively hi-rez pic of GT4 which had been photshopped on.

At least Nintendo had the balls to come out and show off some games and have them playable on the show floor.

People won't even get to touch a PSP 'til TGS this Autumn at the earliest.

Remember the Emotiion Engine? I don't believe anything Sony tell me 'til I can see it for myself.

What he said plus "better than a really ugly device with nothing new on it."

Nintendo have already said the design isn't final. Why not do some research on the hardware and games before you spout shite, eh? You don't seem to know much about it.

I'm still not getting the same buzz out of the idea of playing these games than I am out of the idea of stroking the PSP's oh so beautiful flanks.

Good to see you have your priorities right!

Random muttering alert.

If I put my developer/hardware hat on, I'd have put a 'TV-Out' on the device for use as a 'party machine' and have it playing host to 'iSketch' type games. The 'word' appears on the bottom screen, the player 'draws' the word on the top screen which also appears on the big TV. Everyone shouts their answers out, until someone guesses correctly, at which point the unit is passed to the next player.

Anyway..... It IS a kind of GBA 'deluxe' though innit? It'll just come to replace the GBA. A stealth upgrade if you will. Wether that's a good or a bad thing depends on your own perspective.

Remember how the last batch of GameBoy games had a colour/mono mode to take advantage of both systems? Do we reckon that 'ordinary' GBA games will, if they 'detect' that the system is a DS, place the map screen on the second screen?

It's a thought anyway.

Like I said, I'm dipping out of the handheld market, so it's unlikely that I'll have the PSP or DS anyway. As interesting as the DS is there is no way on earth I'll be forking out £35 quid for twee little games that'll allow me to draw circles round stuff to make it dissapear, or stretch a face around, no matter how "innov@tive" that may seem on paper. I'll stick to free little flash games on the web for those kind of kicks.

That's a personal thing though, I can see people having a lot of fun with it.

One thing though, for a 3D machine that's going to run a variation of Mario 64 and other such 3D titles, the absense of an analogue stick is a fundamental mistake.

Carry on.

Nintendo have already said the design isn't final. Why not do some research on the hardware and games before you spout shite, eh? You don't seem to know much about it.

Good to see you have your priorities right!

Hello? What do you think I'm sat here doing? It's E3, I've done nothing except research since Monday morning.

In fact - http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=42167&st=120

Look at the time on that post. Hmm?

And the other bit, well, I'm just being honest. I've already played extremely similar versions of 90% of the games announced for both these sytems. I want them as portable entertaimnment devices, not just games machines. Do looks matter? Damn right they do. And you can bet your ass they metter to a good number of people out there.

So... what're the odds that the majority just end up being ports of another version, only with extra 'map' facilities?

about 300%. I really think this is going to spell the end of nintendo as we know them

Like I said, I'm dipping out of the handheld market, so it's unlikely that I'll have the PSP or DS anyway. As interesting as the DS is there is no way on earth I'll be forking out £35 quid for twee little games that'll allow me to draw circles round stuff to make it dissapear, or stretch a face around, no matter how "innov@tive" that may seem on paper. I'll stick to free little flash games on the web for those kind of kicks.

Have Nintendo announced the pricing or even the media of DS games yet? I thought that one of the developers said something interesting about it in the presentation.

Personally, I'd like to see the games come on the rewritable format like the N64 handheld thingy.

EDIT: One thing I'd like to see is the DS automatically use its wifi capabilities in place of a link cable for older GBA games like Mario Kart and Advance wars.

about 300%. I really think this is going to spell the end of nintendo as we know them

I think thats goign a bit too far.

Liek I said the other day, the PSP is initially going to be selling to a different demographic to the DS. It *should* give the DS time to establish a foothold on its market before Sony try to muscle in with price cuts etc.

The Pacman games by Namco sound fantastic

From IGN

At this E3, Nintendo and Namco are showing off two Pac-Man games for the Nintendo DS, one of which is a really, really fun Marble Madness meets Super Monkey Ball meets Pac-Man, and shows just how cool and different gaming can be on the new handheld.

Picture this: on the upper screen, a fully 3D Pac-Man maze world that looks like it was lifted out of the GameCube Pac-Man World sequel. The idea is to roll a leg-less Pac-Man ball around the maze, munching dots, avoiding ghosts, and powering up with pills to turn the tides on those pesky beings. The control is placed on the lower screen, with that screen displaying a rolling Pac-Man as if it was a track-ball that the player spun with the stylus or a finger.

The touch screen recognizes momentum, and Pac-Man will roll faster if the player zips his finger quickly across the Pac-Man image. The maze has been designed with slopes and jumps, so to get all the dots players will have to give momentum to the Pac-Man ball in order to make it across certain gaps and up onto ledges.

The game is graphically impressive that's a lot of fun to play…and the E3 maze showed a few great level ideas for the design. The overall idea isn't a new one, but the Nintendo DS system and its dual screen and touch screen capabilities make it feel fresh.

That Balloon Trip sounds much more like it. More of that. Imagination and stuff.

Exactly.

I don't know why you're all jumping on poor Breaky's back, but he's got a pretty valid point here. Nintendo said this was going to revolutionize games and that the two screens would be put to use in some truly innovative concepts. Yet all of the "high profile" games displayed in tonight's presentation simply used the second screen as a map.

Wario Ware? Now, I love WW, but this sounds to be to be exactly like the older ones but using a touch screen instead. Hardly innovative, is it?

This cloud thing sounds pretty sweet, and the Namco Pacman thing sounds pretty cool too, but if we can't expect Nintendo to lead the charge on innovation then why should we believe the 3rd parties will?

Exactly.

I don't know why you're all jumping on poor Breaky's back, but he's got a pretty valid point here. Nintendo said this was going to revolutionize games and that the two screens would be put to use in some truly innovative concepts. Yet all of the "high profile" games displayed in tonight's presentation simply used the second screen as a map.

Wario Ware? Now, I love WW, but this sounds to be to be exactly like the older ones but using a touch screen instead. Hardly innovative, is it?

This cloud thing sounds pretty sweet, and the Namco Pacman thing sounds pretty cool too, but if we can't expect Nintendo to lead the charge on innovation then why should we believe the 3rd parties will?

Yes, it's exactly the same game.

But with possible 16-player wireless multiplay, possible internet play, new touch screen mini-games, new voice recognition mini-games.

Like what are MS trying to pull; that Halo 2, well it's just exactly the same game but with a new story and live play.

But I thought analogue sticks on controllers were a bloody revolution, so what do I know.

Have Nintendo announced the pricing or even the media of DS games yet? I thought that one of the developers said something interesting about it in the presentation.

They mentioned 128MB/1Gb flash cards as the storage medium for DS games.

Anyway, you all missed one thing from the conference. That weird Reggie guy said something like "When DS is launched, it'll have a new name, and a new look". Essentially we're looking at debug hardware here, which is probably why there's no hi-res renders of it like when the GBA SP came out.

If I put my developer/hardware hat on, I'd have put a 'TV-Out' on the device for use as a 'party machine' and have it playing host to 'iSketch' type games.

TV-Out is something my office and I strongly believe all handheld consoles, PDAs and phones should be getting.

It's just sensible, but would decimate the usual console market.

They mentioned 128MB/1Gb flash cards as the storage medium for DS games.

Anyway, you all missed one thing from the conference. That weird Reggie guy said something like "When DS is launched, it'll have a new name, and a new look". Essentially we're looking at debug hardware here, which is probably why there's no hi-res renders of it like when the GBA SP came out.

They did mention that it was going to go through a few refinements before release. Presumably they'll keep the same general format, but improve the buttons and offer a choice of GBA SP style shades.

The PSP barely exists and everyone is saying it's going to be loads better.

That's because too many gamers are overtly (small-c) conservative.

DS appears to be more innovative than the PSP as a games machine, and innovation always gets slagged off initially.

I applaud Nintendo for taking risks with new ideas. Without Nintendo breaking new ground, we wouldn't have had a resurgence in games consoles after the eighties crash, the Game Boy in the first place, joypads with analogue sticks, 'true' 3D platformers, etc.

Nintendo have created a platform upon which their in-house platforms can and will make a difference- there seem to be loads of titles on the way, presumably fairly advanced into development. Compare to the GC, where their in-house teams weren't bringing out a whole lot. Not too shabby.

and add a power LED...

:(

Why? Surely the machine springing into life is a bit of a give-away? And they could have an on-screen low-battery warning...

Well, okay, maybe a power LED would be a good idea.

By the way, what sort of screens are those? GBA-style frontlit or transflective or TFT or what?