Halo 2

Fusty Gusset

If it is as Kerraig says, it will be mega shit  ;)

some (most?) existing Halo maps don't have specific 'bases' or 'rooms' for the flag. at all.

making the 'when they enter the flag room' theory pretty unlikely to bear fruit.

hence, nothing to be alarmed at. it says 'flag contested' instead of 'blue team has the flag'

hence, nothing to be alarmed at. it says 'flag contested' instead of 'blue team has the flag'

Yup, infact the change of wording could merely be down to the fact that multiple teams can now play 'Capture the flag' so perhaps working out who has the flag is part of the dance.

more fantastic conclusion jumping

*applauds*

It's Bungie's fault. I'm deeply unhappy that we won't see this for another 6 months.

Too late, man. Much too late. The comparisons between Goldeneye and the development cycle/wait for Perfect Dark are too eiree to be ignored.

I'm hanging up my joypad after this, it's not good for my heart.

*kill joy*

I've got a feeling that Bungie are going to reveal something about the game, some multi-player or single player concession that is going to majorly dissapoint.

Basically, to do everything they seem to be claiming something is going to have to give. Wether that be 'no split screen' or some radical culling of the environments - it's going to happen.

I'm quite prepared for this though, and of course, I'll have my hat ready to consume if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

I don't see why this would happen. Graphically (and that would really be the only real limiter), Halo 2 isn't that impressive. The environment doesn't look a huge amount more detailed than the environments in Halo 1, and the Master Chiefs only look so impressive because they've got funky bump-mapping all over them - as someone else pointed out, they've got less polys than the original Master Chief.

That modded version of Halo 1 showed that the engine could take a lot more than was there, as the videos of hundreds of master chiefs and warthogs shows. And this engine is even better!

I don't see why this would happen. Graphically (and that would really be the only real limiter), Halo 2 isn't that impressive. The environment doesn't look a huge amount more detailed than the environments in Halo 1, and the Master Chiefs only look so impressive because they've got funky bump-mapping all over them - as someone else pointed out, they've got less polys than the original Master Chief.

That modded version of Halo 1 showed that the engine could take a lot more than was there, as the videos of hundreds of master chiefs and warthogs shows. And this engine is even better!

This is all good and true. Keep it coming.

Another thing, and I have to add a disclaimer here because I cannot verify it, but I've heard that the original Halo has been held up at developers conferences as a discussion on how not to code an X-Box game. It really doesn't make best use of the hardware, and isn't that economical with regard to performance coding. This is probably due to target system being changed through it's gestation.

Given that Halo2 has been pretty much written from the ground up for the hardware it bodes well that everything will be as optimized and bolted down as can possibly be.

I dig the lower-poly model idea as well. Apparently they render the characters/vehicles out in super high polygon mode and apply the results as texture maps to the lower polygon models. Quite clever that really.

Can anyone identify the wrecked vehicle in the middle of the first screenshot there? It doesn't resemble anything i've seen before. I know they blow up completely now, but that messy??

Low poly count master cheifs, those 2 red one's fuckin rip!

YES, BUT L00K @ TEH IVY!!!!1!!!!!!!11ONE

Oh, I will be. Just like the way I observe the microlife forms in the sea surrounding the Silent Cartographer, or the way I stand inside a Covenant ship shining my torch around just to see the light glimer off the iredescent surfaces. Or the way I zoom in on my spent cartridges as they role down the slop away from me. Or the way I shoot bark or leaves off of the trees just to watch them float to the ground. Or the way I......

Have you done this?

aotcr.walkway.jpg

probably the best bit in the game that.

be sure to get the rocket launcher and sniper from the ground first, and fire a rocket and use the sniper to see it kill ;)

that bit of the game = best thing ever

on co-op you can have dog fights and everything, brilliant.

Can anyone identify the wrecked vehicle in the middle of the first screenshot there? It doesn't resemble anything i've seen before. I know they blow up completely now, but that messy??

Looks like a Ghost that's been blown to bits - you can still make out the driver's seat at the far end.

Pete: if you land a Banshee on that ledge you'll hear a piece of music from one of Bungie's earlier games (Marathon, I think).

Oh, I will be. Just like the way I observe the microlife forms in the sea surrounding the Silent Cartographer, or the way I stand inside a Covenant ship shining my torch around just to see the light glimer off the iredescent surfaces. Or the way I zoom in on my spent cartridges as they role down the slop away from me. Or the way I shoot bark or leaves off of the trees just to watch them float to the ground. Or the way I......

Some might say you need to get out more... Not me though. I love that stuff. :D

Some news on Halo 2, taken from indiemagazine.co.uk:

EXCLUSIVE: XBOX LOOKS TO HOLLYWOOD FOR HALO 2 LAUNCH

By Ali Wood

Posted: 18/5/2004 at 17:15:12 GMT

Major campaign expected…

Xbox: Halo 2, due out in November With the eagerly awaited Halo 2 pencilled in for an early November release, Microsoft is looking to back the launch of the game with its biggest ever marketing campaign.

Speaking exclusively to Indie Magazine at last week’s E3 in Los Angeles, head of UK marketing Xbox Stephen McGill said of the launch: “We’re trying to make it as much of a worldwide launch as we can… We’re looking at inspiration from the big movies and how they launch.

“It needs to be an industry event; it’s a really good opportunity to showcase some amazing new technology and Live features – that we’ll start unveiling over the summer – that will just blow people away about what you can do online. And the game deserves a lot of love and attention and its day in the sun, so we can’t wait.

“We’re going to launch it in some unusual ways. Normally Microsoft’s really open about our games and shows them really early. [With Halo 2] we’re going to be quite careful about how we show it, when we show it and who we show it to up to launch.”

Microsoft is also looking to run a pre-order campaign at retail; a limited edition version of Halo 2 will be available for around £5 extra, featuring the game in a silver tin along with extra features more commonly seen on a DVD movie release.

These include a movie of the making of Halo 2, outtakes and other, still to be confirmed, information.

“It is going to be the biggest game, we hope it’s going to be the biggest game, we believe it can be the biggest game on Xbox or on any platform almost, so we’ve got big hopes for it. We’re going to do a lot of activity around it,” concluded McGill.

Low poly count master cheifs, those 2 red one's fuckin rip!

It's a ghost