IGNORED

Capcom vs EA

Beertiger

from an interview with Marvel at IGN

Any word working with Capcom again?

As you know, the we've taken the "Marvel vs." license we had with Capcom, which was very successful throughout the 90s -- an extremely successful fighting series -- and we saw an opportunity with EA, the number one publisher in the industry, to take that premise of Marvel versus another company's characters, and take that to the next level. Obviously we're not ready to make any announcements yet, but what you'll see out of the Marvel vs. EA games going forward is going to revolutionize the way people see fighting games. I expect EA to make an announcement in the next few months giving some idea of what we're doing with these games.

When we think of EA, we think of Madden or their big franchises like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

It's not going to be Wolverine vs. John Madden.

That would be fun to see.

[laughs] Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that. But nevertheless, EA is coming up with a completely new character set, which will be part of the EA universe, and will represent EA against Marvel in the series.

hmmmm and hmmm again. I know they ditched Capcom along time ago but how the hell are EA, E freaking A going to revolutionize the fighting genre, perhaps suck out all the character?

Come on, let's not start slagging off EA again before they've even done anything related to this.

Some would say they have revolutionised Boxing games with their new control system in Fight Night 2004. It's not like they're completely devoid of anything except money making rehashes. (Really)

SSX took snowboarding up a level, Fight Night brings a new dimension to boxing games. FIFA is at least now starting to try and get better. It's a lot better now than it was in the late 90s and has some nice features. Battlefield helped progress online FPS gaming and GoldenEye (regardless of what the N64 lovers think) approaches the stale Bond formula from an interesting new angle, definately something to keep an eye on.

So then there's this, where EA will apparently "revolutionize the way people see fighting games".

Seeing as they haven't really changed since the (arguably greatest beat 'em up so far - Street Fighter II Turbo!), I look forward to seeing what EA have in store.

James Bond Fighter

All of your favourite Bond goodies and baddies battle it out in an epic encounter!

Jaws vs Oddjob

Pussy Galore vs Dr No

Blowfeld vs Timothy Dalton

The fun never ends!

This is the same EA that said "Off the Ball" would revolutionise the football genre.

8 months on, we're still playing Winning Eleven/PES.

So do I think EA can revolutionise fighting? Do I fuck.

You'll be seeing that in a couple of years when AM2 unveil Virtua Fighter 5.

Obligatory Penny Arcade strip:

20040209l.jpg

This is the same EA that said "Off the Ball" would revolutionise the football genre.

They misunderstand football.

EA is coming up with a completely new character set

Which suggests to me that they will be creating entirely new characters for this rather than using existing ones, which are largely real people and licences in the EA franchises I suppose.

And in a Capcom vs... context, that sounds dissapointing.

well let's just wait until this is out then but odds are Marvel made the wrong creative decision to ditch Capcom, a publisher on tip top form in quality at the moment to go with EA. although to be fair they'll make a shit load more cash with EA.

Marvel have given there licence to EA?

Obivously there are great plans afoot because everyone knows Capcom spunked the license on fighting games and nothing else.

I dunno. Comic charaters in everyday games?

Smells of fish.

I'm thinking games along the Everything or Nothing lines. The games may suck, but I bet they'll look polished as fuck whilst doing it ;)

EA are in my good books at the moment thanks to Fight Night and Everything or Nothing so I'm not too dissapointed by this.