rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rex Grossman

May Hip-Hop Recommendations

First up, some events in Carnaby Street's Deal Real. Today (yes, Saturday May 1), sees them host a talent show. Special guests will include Gza, Mos Def and Kool Herc.

On Friday May 7 you can see Ruffstylz do an in-store. This wil be followed by an open mic session. Both events are free.

DMC UK heats are here

1 May - Percy Gee Building, Leicester University Students Union, University Rd,

Leicester. Tickets: £5.

6 May - Drum Major, The Wardrobe, St Peters, Leeds. Tickets: £7 adv.

11 May - Opera House, Bournemouth. Tickets: £4.

14 May - Higher Learning, Toucan Club, St Mary St, Cardiff. Tickets: £8.

20 May - Glasgow School of Arts, 168 Renfrew St, Glasgow. Tickets: £3/ £4/ £5.

26 May - Show Some Love, Ruby Lo, 23 Orchard St, London. Tickets: £6.

27 May - Manchester Metropolitan Students' Union, 99 Oxford Rd, Manchester. Tickets: £5.50/ (£4.50/NUS).

30 May - Off The Hook, The Gatehouse, Friar Gate, Derby.

5 June - Hi Fidelity, Carling Academy Bristol, Frogmore St, Bristol. Tickets: £12 adv.

Now a random selection from my collection…

B00000HYFG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It felt like Scaramanga (and his alter egos) were massive in 1998. This album dropped but only made noise in the underground. It's mighty fine. Straighter than you might imagine, it's got its fair share of bangers and absurdity.

Previous editions:

April

March

February

January

December Part 2

December Part 1

November

October

The thread that started it all

***NEW***

Bargain Section

Mister CD (Berwick Street, London)

Ghostface – Ironman £5

Ghostface – Supreme Clientele £5

CD City (Berwick Street, London)

Ghostface – The Pretty Toney Album £8

Fopp (Shaftsbury Avenue, London)

Rawkus Lyricist Lounge Volume 1 (Double CD) £5

Fopp (Scottish branches)

DJ Muggs – Dust £5

The Best of Roxanne Shante £3

Ghostface – Bulletproof Wallets £3

Fopp (Nottingham)

Nextmen – Amongst The Madness £3

Dilated Peoples – The Platform £3

Fopp (Manchester and Bristol – perhaps elsewhere too)

Ice Cube – The Predator £5

Ice Cube – Death Certificate £5

Gangstarr – Step In The Arena £5

Gangstarr – Daily Operation £5

Gangstarr – Hard To Earn £5

DJ Format – Music for The Mature B-Boy £7

Music Zone (nationwide)

Ice Cube – AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted/Kill At Will Remastered double pack £5.97

Amazon.co.uk

Gang Starr – Full Clip (2CDs) £7.99

101 CD

Various – LOOK HERE

Aspects tour dates:

MAY 5TH > CARDIFF

Heducation @ Barfly

Info : 02920 396 589

MAY 11TH > FALMOUTH

Common Sound @ remedies night club

Info : 07743878323

MAY 21ST > DUBLIN

Choice Cuts @ Venue Crawdaddy

Info : www.choicecutsonline.com

MAY 26TH > CAMDEN

Heducation @ Barfly

Ticketline : 0870 907 0999

MAY 29TH > LEICESTER

Frequency @ Sumo

Info : 07866 929752

JUNE 3rd > BIRMINGHAM

Heducation @ Medicine Bar

Info : 07782100530

JUNE 4TH > EDINBURGH

Heducation @ The Venue

Info : 0131 557 3073

JUNE 5TH > GLASGOW

Hi Karate @ Liquid Lounge

Tel : 0141 353 6333

JUNE 12TH - JUNE 17TH > BARCELONA

Heducation @ Beachbombing

Info : www.beachbombing.com

JUNE 18TH > ISLE OF WIGHT

Heducation @ Ryde Theatre

Info : 07971260114

JUNE 19TH > COVENTRY (TBC)

Frequency @ Colleseum

Info : 07866 929752

New single and video (which is to be honest, is fucking rubbish, and i'm ashamed) out next week. Show some support!

75030.gif

Just to add my tuppence worth, I bought the RJD2 mix album from Scenario Records on ebay and they sent me this for free. I didn't listen to it until yesterday and bizarrely its great. The lyricism is probably stronger than the beats (not to say that they're bad), MCs include J-Live, L Fudge and Ty. There's also an awesome turntablist session by Prime Cuts and Tony Vegas (Daily Intake).

Enjoyed re-reading some of those old threads, I think it was one of these types of threads on the old Edge forums that got me into hip hop properly. I used to buy the NME and would only know about what they recommended (their recommendation for this year was Lil' Jon :unsure: ), someone said to buy Illmatic and every album I buy now is hip hop.

Enjoyed re-reading some of those old threads, I think it was one of these types of threads on the old Edge forums that got me into hip hop properly. I used to buy the NME and would only know about what they recommended (their recommendation for this year was Lil' Jon :unsure: ), someone said to buy Illmatic and every album I buy now is hip hop.

Very nice to hear. Some people have claimed that these threads are unwelcoming and intimidating to people new to hip-hop. They couldn't be more wrong.

Man, I'm now the very proud owner of a J-Rocc signed Soundbombing 2, a Madlib & Peanut Butter Wolf signed Madvillian, a Madlib/Jay Dee signed ticket stub and, best of all, a copy of 3 Feet High And Rising as signed by its daddy, Prince Paul. Who wants to touch me?

Esar wasn't kidding about Paul being a highlight. That guy's set introduction was straight up genius and hysterically hilarious. The guy is so charismatic. It was like a stand up comedy routine outlining Paul's history in hip-hop. And, in terms of track selection, his actual DJ set was gold, too. Packed with STR8 GEMS. A highlight of his set saw him reel off a list of artists to which the crowd were supposed to either cheer or boo, in an attempt at guaging their musical prefences. All of the cheered artists (The Roots, MF Doom and Madlib, off the top of my head), were also greeted with a little Family Fortunes-esque "ding!" while the booed guys (Chingy, Lil Kim, 50 Cent and Ja Rule) got the classic Family Fortunes "buzz", with the exception of 50. He got gun claps :P

J-Rocc was the real star, though. The best mixing I've ever seen. The beat juggling was incredible. Sometimes that stuff can sound obtrusive to the ear, but it all came out smooth and melodic with J-Rocc. Can't wait to check him again tonight.

Now for the crap bit: at the end of the show (which ran an hour longer than planned, thanks to Prince Paul playing EVERY great hip-hop track EVER) I was drunkenly left straggling behind in an empty venue, looking for my jacket ticket. Then I caught Madlib just chilling on stage with a drink and a spliff. So I'm all like "Yo, Madlib! Can you sign Madvillain?" to which he jokingly goes "Nah, Man." Then he just laughs and calls me up to chill. So I clamber up on-stage and unwittingly put my foot right into a spilt beveridge. I basically slipped and fell right on my face and knees. All in-front of Madlib, my hero and idol. I sustained eye-contact throughout the entire fall :D

Falling on your face ain't hip-hop, yo.

Anyone still wanna touch me? :unsure:

But the dude just came up and picked me off the deck. "Damn, man. That shit has happened to me too, believe it." So we slapped hands and shit. He was telling me that the new Quasimoto album will be out real soon. Then he goes, "Yo, my man Quas was about tonight. He was hanging around the bar during my set. I dunno if you saw him." :(

I said, "Yeah, man. He just tripped me up right there."

Great night, y'all. And I get to do it all again tonight B)

I'll try not to fall over this time. I remember saying to Isaacs on MSN that I'd turn to jelly if I ever met Madlib. I wasn't wrong.

Now a random selection from my collection…

B00000HYFG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It felt like Scaramanga (and his alter egos) were massive in 1998. This album dropped but only made noise in the underground. It's mighty fine. Straighter than you might imagine, it's got its fair share of bangers and absurdity.

Very nice indeed, yet another dude who used the Missin Linx/Dr Dre Wild west-ish sample on that album :lol:

Man, I'm now the very proud owner of a J-Rocc signed Soundbombing 2, a Madlib & Peanut Butter Wolf signed Madvillian, a Madlib/Jay Dee signed ticket stub and, best of all, a copy of 3 Feet High And Rising as signed by its daddy, Prince Paul. Who wants to touch me?

Esar wasn't kidding about Paul being a highlight. That guy's set introduction was straight up genius and hysterically hilarious. The guy is so charismatic. It was like a stand up comedy routine outlining Paul's history in hip-hop. And, in terms of track selection, his actual DJ set was gold, too. Packed with STR8 GEMS. A highlight of his set saw him reel off a list of artists to which the crowd were supposed to either cheer or boo, in an attempt at guaging their musical prefences. All of the cheered artists (The Roots, MF Doom and Madlib, off the top of my head), were also greeted with a little Family Fortunes-esque "ding!" while the booed guys (Chingy, Lil Kim, 50 Cent and Ja Rule) got the classic Family Fortunes "buzz", with the exception of 50. He got gun claps :(

J-Rocc was the real star, though. The best mixing I've ever seen. The beat juggling was incredible. Sometimes that stuff can sound obtrusive to the ear, but it all came out smooth and melodic with J-Rocc. Can't wait to check him again tonight.

Now for the crap bit: at the end of the show (which ran an hour longer than planned, thanks to Prince Paul playing EVERY great hip-hop track EVER) I was drunkenly left straggling behind in an empty venue, looking for my jacket ticket. Then I caught Madlib just chilling on stage with a drink and a spliff. So I'm all like "Yo, Madlib! Can you sign Madvillain?" to which he jokingly goes "Nah, Man." Then he just laughs and calls me up to chill. So I clamber up on-stage and unwittingly put my foot right into a spilt beveridge. I basically slipped and fell right on my face and knees. All in-front of Madlib, my hero and idol. I sustained eye-contact throughout the entire fall :(

Falling on your face ain't hip-hop, yo.

Anyone still wanna touch me? ;)

But the dude just came up and picked me off the deck. "Damn, man. That shit has happened to me too, believe it." So we slapped hands and shit. He was telling me that the new Quasimoto album will be out real soon. Then he goes, "Yo, my man Quas was about tonight. He was hanging around the bar during my set. I dunno if you saw him." :)

I said, "Yeah, man. He just tripped me up right there."

Great night, y'all. And I get to do it all again tonight B)

I'll try not to fall over this time. I remember saying to Isaacs on MSN that I'd turn to jelly if I ever met Madlib. I wasn't wrong.

I'm very envious about you getting 3 Feet High signed by Prince Paul. That rules.

I've met various people, but if I met Chuck D or Premo I'd be like a child.

Yeah, sounds like you had a pretty amazing night Cal (apart from the slip that is!) I had a pretty embarassing experience last year in Brighton, me and my mate were supporting DJ's for an Ice-T gig and at the end of the show I went back up to get my records and saw a phat tour t-shirt laying on the stage that belonged to one of his crew, I looked around ;) and grabbed it, just as I was turning round I got a tap on the shoulder. Surely enough it was the man himself "I don't think that belongs to you my man" :( He laughed at the cheekiness of it tho.

I'm very envious about you getting 3 Feet High signed by Prince Paul. That rules.

I've met various people, but if I met Chuck D or Premo I'd be like a child.

When i met Prince Paul I forgot to bring 3 feet high with me, like an idiot, so i got him to sign the promo mix thing he was selling at the show. Not quite as good.

I got to talk to him for a bit though, my friend was interviewing him for his magazine.

Oh yeah, I got that Madlib Remixes 2 thing at the Glasgow show. They weren't for sale, rather they were just randomly throwing them into a crowd of drunk Glaswegians :)

After Madlib and Dilla's MC set the place quietened down so I just approached PB Wolf as J-Rocc was DJ-ing and asked for one. Recognising me from the night before he kindly obliged. Madlib signed that for me, too. "I remember you, man."

:blink:

He signed it: 'Madlib. Smoke dat shit.'

The remixes are dope. A bunch of Wu, Nas, Doom and Liks acappellas over some retro early 80's style beats.

Thanks largely to these threads I've been getting a lot of Hip Hop lately. I try to get a 'safe' classic and one album I've heard mentioned or know from one the artists rep.

B000003RRM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Seems good, old school party hip hop and it has Kool Keith so :(

B000024D0J.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is the Wu blueprint right? I heard 2 or 3 of their assorted albums/projects before this so it doesn't seem as good as it might, still aces.

I always say that when it comes to Wu-Tang you should check out what Rza and Gza did beforehand: the excellent Gravediggaz's first album Six Feet Deep.

I'm not saying theres no place for more discussion here, but if you want loads of opinions on this subject, and some excellent advice, pretty much every previous topic has loads of useful information you might find really cool. Just in case you missed it, like.

I always say that when it comes to Wu-Tang you should check out what Rza and Gza did beforehand: the excellent Gravediggaz's first album Six Feet Deep.

Beforehand? Niggamortis (Six Feet Deep) came after 36 Chambers and didn't involve the Gza :(

I'm not saying theres no place for more discussion here, but if you want loads of opinions on this subject, and some excellent advice, pretty much every previous topic has loads of useful information you might find really cool. Just in case you missed it, like.

Yeah. I'd advise everyone spend some time checking them out if they haven't already.

Beforehand? Niggmortis (Six Feet Deep) came after 36 Chambers and didn't involve the Gza :(

Wow, my memory's really starting to suck. In my defence, it was 10 years ago :(

Furthermore, if I ever get time, I intend to put together a directory of what's been discussed and where so people can look up an album and see what's been said.

Big job though.

Furthermore, if I ever get time, I intend to put together a directory of what's been discussed and where so people can look up an album and see what's been said.

Big job though.

If I ever get time, I intend to put together a directory of all the Hip-Hop related directories/archives/lists which Ben Isaacs has promised to put together in these threads.

Big job though.

aspects.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen… It's time to take your seats at the Mystery Theatre, an 11-track musical odyssey that draws the listener into the psychedelic world of Bristol-based Aspects, where hip-hop collides with surf rock, reggae and folk. Aspects are vocalists El Eye (Ian Merchant) and Probe Mantis (Ben Weaver), producer Specify (Ryan Jarrett) and beat-boxer Monkey Moo (Rory Donnelly). Think 'Smile'-era Brian Wilson producing the Beastie Boys with the Beta Band on sample duties.

Mystery Theatre is an album unhindered by trends, drawing inspiration from the past to create new musical forms. Beatmeister Specify explains, “To understand our music you've got to imagine Hip-Hop existed in the 60’s. We use analogue production values and psychedelic song writing to create our own type of sound; 60’s rap!” El Eye adds; “We make pirate music. We’re pirates, sailing along plundering genres for their soul, assimilating their funk then we’re moving on to the next port.”

The lyrical content draws candidly on personal tragedy and conquest more in keeping with Johnny Cash's biblical tales of woe than Jay-Z's grandiose gutter reportage. El Eye's lyrics have an intense, measured delivery, that blur the boundaries between rap, spoken word and song, while Probe Mantis' mercurial flow and deft punch-lines are sure to have the most po-faced listener in stitches.

"With this record we've tried to meld old-fashioned song writing with modern rap lyrics, the key thing we tried to do is take the ego out of our raps," opines El Eye. "At the end of the day there's only so many variations of saying 'I am the greatest'. Without trying to sound like a twat, Bob Dylan was a huge inspiration"

“The City Limits” evokes the claustrophobia of city life while “Chase The Devil” is a hymn to the working man’s plight. Underpinned by a delicate folk guitar riff, “Man Under The Sea” is a personal tale of one man’s failing struggle with depression, while “Off The Lip” is an escapist summer surfing anthem. All of the above take the listener on an intensely personal journey into the mindset of Aspects.

Since the release of their feted debut 'Correct English' in 2001 (including the daytime radio success of their NME Single Of The Week 'My Genre') Aspects have spent the interim period honing their distinctive sound. A key event in their musical evolution has been a burgeoning friendship with Isle Of Wight psychadelic funksters The Bees and Little Barrie.

“We met on tour, and in the absence of any other normal people we ganged up, they're the sort of kids we hang out with at home. Working with them in their studio really freed up our minds, it gave us the confidence to break loose from the traditional hip-hop constraints. We're definitely gonna be working together in the future.”

Aspects have kept the featured artists on 'Mystery Theatre' to the bare essentials; enlisting The Bees to supply the Beach Boys-style harmonics for the chorus of the sun-drenched 'Off The Lip', and ragga MC Alkaline guests with a tongue-twisting lyrical display on the reggae stylings of 'Chase The Devil'. Little Barrie contribute raw soul power and intricate guitar work on lonely-hearts anthem “Soul Sister”.

In 'Mystery Theatre', Aspects have fashioned a truly unique, epic record in the tradition of such weird and wonderful brews as De La Soul's 'Three Feet High & Rising' and The Coral's self titled debut. Equal parts Noir, Tragedy, Comedy and Action Adventure; 'Mystery Theatre' has all the ingredients required to be a future classic. So, quiet please ladies and gents, the curtain is about to rise…

don't know if this was mentioned in last month's thread but you should all check out J Rocc's Sex Macine 2Day cd, great tunes with some quality mixing.

also, have you all heard the new Beastie's track, Ch-Check It Out? heard it a few times on mtv over the weekend and i like it. a promising taster of the forthcoming album.