what's the Day Today dvd like?

Is it worth it? All the episodes + the pilot + some extended scenes but is that it?

commentaries? hmmm? Or do we get a shit one like on the brasseye dvd?

I want to hear armando and peter natter on about it like they did on the partridge.

Mine has yet to come through from Play.com, but apparently there is no commentary as such – certainly no Iannucci and Baynham. For one episode there is an extra called 'AV Describers' where two randoms comment on the show as it runs. Not ideal.

Plenty of new audio extras by the sound of it, but mostly hidden away via the 'push left then press 8' style of the Jam DVDs.

However, all the mininews sections (if you didn't see them at the time, they went out the night before each show on the first run – mostly material that wasn't in the episodes themselves) are on there, along with the pilot and the Open University documentary. Also a interview with Steve Coogan done by Mark Radcliffe, I think.

If you get the DVDs, head over to Cookdandbombd for a guide to finding the extras.

Its well worth it.

But then I would whore myself to Satan to promote anything to do with Chris Morris, such is my love for the man. Man...sorry I meant GOD.

So yeah, go and get it...

before truth becomes the apple of a dead mans wife eye. ...

Mmm. Easter Eggs. I'll look out for this fella this weekend, as well as the Look Around You DVD. So much to buy, so much time...

edit - just checked out the snapshots of the DVD - http://chilled.cream.org/forums/album_cat.php?cat_id=3 - the menu alone looks very faithful to the show - loads of crazy credit-type stuff and a lot of new/extra stuff. I want now.

Thinking about it, now that I've enjoyed TDT this much, would it be worth picking up Brass Eye?

I never saw it on TV, but I do remember alot of media angryness about that special that was on a few years ago :unsure:

You'll almost certainly like Brass Eye. It lacks the whimsy and silliness of The Day Today, but is very, very good nonetheless. Perhaps a bit less shocking now than in 1997 (when it was still a bit of a surprise even hearing the word "fuck" on TV), but worth watching. The "special" on paedophilia isn't quite as good as the original series, though.

The world is just crying out for a BrassEye special on terrorism.

The Day Today's DVD is worth buying surely just for David Schinder's(sp?) dance.

And "Collect-Ting! Stamps" of course.

Oh, and The Gay News ("He's not gay of course, we'd never employ a homosexual").

In fact, what am I talking about, its all brilliant. Chris Morris can make me guffaw like a loon with a simple emphasis on a word ("This is the neeeeews!").

Fuck.Ing.Gen.Ius.

Thinking about it, now that I've enjoyed TDT this much, would it be worth picking up Brass Eye?

Definitely. Brass Eye is more of the same stuff, really, although (IMO) Brass Eye is better than TDT*

The DVD is a bit disappointing (WTF is that commentary?), but you do get 7 episodes and it's probably going quite cheaply now.

(*More Chris Morris, more celebrities being stupid, and the way the presenters seem to get so worked up over the nonsense topics, rather than TDT's more-passive observation is really funny)

And yes, the world needs a Brass Eye special on terrorism.

I was watching the Channel 4 news during the build up to the Iraq War and one of the newsies was reporting on how the police could check the bags of anti-war protesters to see if they were terrorists.

There was one section during which a one of the protesters had a microphone shoved into his face.

"Are you a terrorist?" asked the faceless reporter.

"No" came the reply.

The news then moved on without telling us anything else. It was pure Morris.

In fact, its quite hard to watch any current affairs programme these days without spotting Morrisims. Anyone see the BBC 1 news the other week reporting on the referendum? It involved one of the reporters standing on a chess board outside Parliment. After a couple of moves he kicked one of the pawns off the board, the camera then focusing on the piece lying on the ground. Straight out of TDT it was.

Watched some of the DVD earlier. The Partridge horseracing coverage is brilliant.

If I ever get a horse I'm calling it "Immaculate Pasta".

I still can't get over what I saw on C4 News last night - it was a report on the US marines abusing Iraqi prisoners when all of a sudden, the reporter talked about a picture circulating on the internet showing US troops mocking the people they're supposed to be protecting.

The picture was one of ones of where you type your own text and it shows up on the piece of card the Iraqi kid (standing next to grinning marine) is holding - someone had done one with 'He killed my father and knocked up my sister'. C4 News seemed to think it was the real deal:
[quote name='Over-earnest reporter']This poor child, probably co-erced into holding this sign and no doubt unaware of what the text on it really means.[/quote]

If I'm wrong, fair enough, but it looked for all the world to be another net gag that some idiot in the newsroom saw and thought 'Look! PROOF of the Marines being evil AGAIN! Let's run with it NOW!"

Amazing stuff...

Picked this up yesterday. Diddn't even know it had been released.

Got it as an impulse buy as it was on special offer at a new "Silverscreen" shop near me so I picked it up as I had never seen the TV broadcasts but loved Morris' antics on Bress Eye.

Fabulous program, can't reccomend it enough.

Chris is the greatest ever comedy talent. Ever. :blink:

I bought the DVD the other day, and it's fantastic. The DVD menus are just like those crazy graphics you saw in the programme.... thing is, there's actually a substantial amount of new material hidden away in the DVD too. In one bit, Chris Morris and Alan Partridge have a conversation over the DVD menu about the events of the present - Diana's death, Sept 11th, etc.

^ *shh* Hints of DeLorean.

And the "Mini News" menu has me in stitches every time. Go, News-Dancer, Go!

I can't believe that the Sept. 11th conversation got through any sort of tastfull test, I'm amazed it got onto the DVD.

Amazingly funny.

And what about "The Office" - Think Mr. Gervais was watching :blink:

yes

STILL haven't seen any eggs 'cept the Bush one. I know how to get some of them but I'm wither too impatient, or, for some reason, I can't press 7/go back to the menu. Damned XBox pad.

But look: you can buy the best show ever, complete with hidden updates, pilots, and mininews's's with DVD goodness.

How can it not be yes.

Get rid of Hurd!