IGNORED

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

Daanos

Handicaps in TS did work quite well like that, once you figured out what the right settings were. I think it was more like +5 to -5 or something, but I forget. It was basically a damage/health modifier. I'm not a fan of the "characters have different stats" approach from TS2- if I want to play as Sebastian Photon because he looks cool, I don't want it affecting my play style.

TS 2 - Hands down one of the worst games I've played in the last 5 years.

The neo Tokyo-style and Wild West levels were nicely realised, though.

Huh? It was one of the best games I ever played in the last 5 years. I take it I was the only one who thought that the default controls were good, and so was the aiming. IMHO, the naysayers are all the people who are not dextrous enough to use the controls, or my hands are reversed. Hmm...

And the controls are fully customisable too, I dont see the problem. I bet all the TS2 haters couldnt beat the siberia gunship ^_^

Now, the goldeneye Solitaire control sheme, THAT was strange...

I had no problems with the controls. I just didn't like it. The story was terrible and completely unbelievable and just an excuse to past together some different scenery and weapons, the NPC's were dumber than George W. Bush, there were invisible snipers whose positions you had to learn by failure, there was no blood, bodies would disappear by fading to transparant, the character design was absolute shit, the leveldesign was bad, the weapons lacked mass and punch, the objectives ranged from weird to insignificant and seemed more like different ideas pasted together than a continuous flow, there was no drive whatsoever to complete a level except to see the next one, should I continue?

I had no problems with the controls. I just didn't like it. The story was terrible and completely unbelievable and just an excuse to past together some different scenery and weapons, the NPC's were dumber than George W. Bush, there were invisible snipers whose positions you had to learn by failure, there was no blood, bodies would disappear by fading to transparant, the character design was absolute shit, the leveldesign was bad, the weapons lacked mass and punch, the objectives ranged from weird to insignificant and seemed more like different ideas pasted together than a continuous flow, there was no drive whatsoever to complete a level except to see the next one, should I continue?

Ouch!

Well, Goldeneye had fading bodies, and I dont play FPS's for a story (except maybe half-life) so thats OK. Story was better than TS1, in that it existed. I agree about the snipers and hard mode was just cheap by increasing enemy firepower dramatically though. Bad characters? I sorta like the cartoony feel, and beetleman, leo krupps and other circus characters just rocked. Add some fun arcade challenges and a hellish multiplayer and thats why I like it. Roll on TS3 for me.

Roll on TS3 for me.

I'm glad you like it, don't get me wrong. TS2 just didn't 'click' with me, and I was massively disappointed with it after all the (overrated?) praise it got in the press. The most disappointing thing was that my girlfriend bought it for my birthday, shelling out the full RRP for it, and I felt terrible for not liking it.

I'm glad you like it, don't get me wrong. TS2 just didn't 'click' with me, and I was massively disappointed with it after all the (overrated?) praise it got in the press. The most disappointing thing was that my girlfriend bought it for my birthday, shelling out the full RRP for it, and I felt terrible for not liking it.

I'm not getting you wrong or fanboying, but you justified your dislike, and I have justified my liking. And we all have presents we feel guilty about hating.

But still, that Second Sight, eh? Mmmmmm...

One of only two games that have ever given me motion sickness ;)

One of the only FPS games that didn't give me motion sickness. ^_^

I loved the game, my favourite FPS game (yes, yes, I prefer it to Halo, Goldeneye, PD, Half-Life etc).

For me the fun was in the challenge modes, I spent many an hour playing through them trying to get gold medals. The story mode was fine, but then storys in FPS games are pretty average at best in any game I've played.

To me TS2 was an arcade FPS, a game for people like me who don't normally rate them highly and just want a quick arcade blast. To top it all this one didn't want to make me vomit within ten minutes of play (Half-Life - Goldeneye I'm looking at you).

Roll on TS3 and f*ck the story mode, just gives us millions of challenges.

Yeah, well, I got it for the arcade thrills from the first one. Admit it, the Atom Smasher cutscene is what its all about... Oh, and just to be stoned out of the country, I'm going to admit it. I didn't think Goldeneye was as good as it was said to be.

"OMG! WTF! U R A LO5ER!"

Still liked it though, I just never really properly loved it like everyone else seems to.

[quote name='Wyrmling' date='Apr 30 2004, 10:34 PM'] Huh? It was one of the best games I ever played in the last 5 years. I take it I was the only one who thought that the default controls were good, and so was the aiming. IMHO, the naysayers are all the people who are not dextrous enough to use the controls, or my hands are reversed. Hmm...

And the controls are fully customisable too, I dont see the problem. I bet all the TS2 haters couldnt beat the siberia gunship ;)

Now, the goldeneye Solitaire control sheme, THAT was strange... [/quote]
Though it was the jitteriest crosshair I've ever seen, I didn't have a problem with the controls - indeed, I finished the game with little trouble. I just found it one of the most unattractively designed and downright dated FPS around. It's like they had took all the worst ideas they game up with after making [i]Goldeneye[/i] and decided to use them instead of keeping them in the bin where they belonged. Plus the whole 'LOOK - WE HAVE MONKEYS! AREN'T WE HILARIOUS?!?!?' thing...it sucked so much I'm actually going to use this ^_^ bastard, that's how bad it was for me.

In short, [i]fucking mongy rubbish[/i]. They should put that on the boxes.

TimeSplitters was brainless fun most of the time (in a videogame sort of a way, it still requires skill, and infuriates, but it's not full of subtlety)- something you've got to keep in mind when you start. It's pretty jarring if you go into it expecting something like Conker crossed with Goldeneye.

I developed a cunning philosohpy for expecting stuff in games. Don't. If it says TimeSplitters 2 - expect to play a game like timesplitters 2. If you want it to be something else real bad then you'll slag it off for not being that way.

I developed a cunning philosohpy for expecting stuff in games. Don't. If it says TimeSplitters 2 - expect to play a game like timesplitters 2. If you want it to be something else real bad then you'll slag it off for not being that way.

Exactly the right approach.

Eh? No, you just aim by facing the general direction of the enemy and letting the auto-aim do the rest.

Oh how I hate to use auto-aim in fps games. I've mentioned this to you before though... (sorry)

As I also have mentioned before was how I hate how they have changed how the aiming / sticks work in this game from TS1. (as mentioned in this thread, and that I have said before to you (after comparing TS1 and TS2 because you told me they were the same, and so had to double check) (sorry))

Personally I have trouble disliking any game that allowed you to Shotguun the snot out of neverending stream of 6ft Ducks in a mental hospital.

Okay so the sensitivity of controls was all over the shop. But once you got over that it was very enjoyable.

More ducks! :unsure:

Oh yes indeed. Those who moan about the single player - fuck the story mode. Unless you have gone toe to toe with never-ending ducks, double shotgun, in the zone, full on insanity of mallard carnage...you have not played TS2. Plus it has snowmen that shout "I'm melting!" when you hit them with a flamethrower. And the Evil FUCKING Chinese chef. And that Assault challenge where you have to prevent those men in suits setting up a dotcom company. Inspired insanity I say, less a FPS, more an old-school arcade game brought fully up to date in 3D. I will admit however that those machine-gun wielding giant hands bitchslapped me. To hell.

TS2 is the best console FPS this generation as far as I am concerned.

I prefer it to...Halo.

Roll on the sequel. Live support please.

You're such a funny guy.

...please tell me you were kidding.