IGNORED

Games you're REALLY bad at.

Landshead

2D fighters, again. I can't be bothered learning all those moves- give me something instinctive.

In fact, why do fighters bother with moves at all these days? Surely they can interpret up+forwards+left-kick(0.054 milliseconds) as me wanting to do a quick jabbing kick at Cervantes' face? Throw in some inertia and you're on the way to the future of the beat-em-up.

EDIT- sorry to ramble, but throw in a "counter" and "block" button, again dependent on stick movements, positioning, and your current inertia, and you could make rapidly blocking/parrying Matrix/Crouching Tiger/Jackie Chan combat a possibility. Especially with a subtle AvP style "slow down as things become very complex" effect.

Ooh, I'm wandering off into my own little game-designing world here...

Four-square face buttons = Tekken-style four limb controls

Left stick moves your character, and with a limb button down, affects the move (sweeping stick movement for a sweeping kick etc). Analogue and kinetic free-form approach.

Left trigger blocks, right trigger grabs... however neither of them do anything on their own, you have to use them with a limb to block/grab.

Proper physics and everything, no bloody collision boxes...

I'll admit I'm terrible at Perfect Dark, but I keep trying to get through it! I'm currently on Area 51, after being stuck in that Chigaco level for AGES trying to find the equipment in the storm drains!

However, I do indeed think I rock at 2D fighting games, especially Marvel vs Capcom 2. I can lay down plenty of traps, infinites etc. I play a mean Magneto/Storm/Iron Man :)

3D Platformers, sports games, most puzzle games and schmups (though I enjoy the latter)

I lack the staying power for RPG's, and usually have to use a walkthrough at at least one point for most adventure games though I love them so.

I'm decent enough at most other things though.

I'm terrible at mouse-and-keyboard pogo-stick-jumping, run around at 100mph in a gloomy, brown, tiny, and strangely-church-like "arena" FPS.

Strangely, I'm ace at Halo though (at least against all my mates I've played against; I have been described as a "psycho" due to the insanely high kill tallies I rack up.

Not bad at Perfect Dark or Goldeneye, either.

Winning Eleven.

i am fucking shit at it. did you hear me? shit!

maybe because it's in Japanese, and i accidentally whacked it on the Kirin Super Strength setting, or maybe not. but i cannot seem to consistantly score goals. one game i will be fine win 2-1 etc., then play again and i'll get gubbed 3-0 :)

i love playing it though.

every other type of game - fine.

Defender - I've been playing this on and off through the years, but I still don't think I can get past level 2. However, it doesn't p*ss me off as I know it's me at fault and not the game.

Pacman - Despite owning (as in it's my property, not `pwning` style owning) this title I still can't get past about level 12. I've come so close to get 100,000 points on it (it's a crap score, but a boundry I dearly want to pass), I've still not yet done it.

Asteroids - Like Pacman, I have this in my collection, and I'll be darned if I can get past 60,000 points. I want to see the levels where there are so many rocks on screen that they vanish with 1 shot, but I don't suppose I ever will.

Hmmm, I've been playing the above for over 20 years and I'm still crap at them.

Perhaps I should give up?

Rob

I really suck at driving games, and the more 'realistic' they become, the worse I get. MotoGP is the worst I think. I've played it for hours, and still get lapped on Xbox Live.

After last night, I'd say you're not very good at FPS, either. ;)

After last night, I'd say you're not very good at FPS, either. :angry:

I'm usually pretty good at RS3 actually, but the combination of tiredness, a beer or two-three too many, an unknown and irritating map and a serious dip in my usual 1337 skillz made me a lousy player last night.

With MotoGP it doesn't matter whether I'm drunk or sober, tired or fit, 1337 or not, I'll spend most of the time crashing into barriers or skidding through the pebbles regardless of circumstances. The difference might be between getting lapped once or twice ;)

I'm usually pretty good at RS3 actually, but the combination of tiredness, a beer or two-three too many, an unknown and irritating map and a serious dip in my usual 1337 skillz made me a lousy player last night.

With MotoGP it doesn't matter whether I'm drunk or sober, tired or fit, 1337 or not, I'll spend most of the time crashing into barriers or skidding through the pebbles regardless of circumstances. The difference might be between getting lapped once or twice :angry:

Still, you can take solice in the fact that I'm worse than you %-)

2D fighters, again. I can't be bothered learning all those moves- give me something instinctive.

In fact, why do fighters bother with moves at all these days? Surely they can interpret up+forwards+left-kick(0.054 milliseconds) as me wanting to do a quick jabbing kick at Cervantes' face? Throw in some inertia and you're on the way to the future of the beat-em-up.

EDIT- sorry to ramble, but throw in a "counter" and "block" button, again dependent on stick movements, positioning, and your current inertia, and you could make rapidly blocking/parrying Matrix/Crouching Tiger/Jackie Chan combat a possibility. Especially with a subtle AvP style "slow down as things become very complex" effect.

Not quite that, I don't think, but Rag Doll Kung Fu is taking a different approach to fighting games.