Screenshot_20190901_104353.thumb.jpg.2e3d1321784d8d91a6eb9c786532b216.jpg

Anyway, finally managed a few listens this morning. Certainly nothing as immediately brilliant as previous albums for me but I definitely like it. The lyrics just don't seem to fit the music sometimes. 

A lot of my favourite Tool tracks were ones I glazed past on early listens and I think this will continue here.

Invincible is my favourite so far, love the drumming.

• Upvote 4
20 hours ago, El Stevo said:

I listened to the live version of Invincible on YouTube a lot and they didn't have that weird synth voice bit in the middle when they performed it live, so it's always really jarring when I hear it. But it is still an awesome track as well and sounds lovely in clean album form. Overall I love the new album, they've still got it!

Invincible live defo does have the synth bit, Danny gets up from behind the kit to play it.  7:55 ish in this video:

• Upvote 1

It totally has the 'neeeeeEeowwww' synthy bit, but I dunno, the actual vocals in that bit (first pass of "Tears in my eyes...") sound way cleaner to me in the awesome video you kindly linked to than they do on the album. On the album it sounds like that weird sad robot in that depressing 70's song that I will shortly remember the name of but you know the one. Mr Blue Sky something. Whereas live it sounded less like that. I might just have bad hearing, people used to say that to me a lot.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, El Stevo said:

It totally has the 'neeeeeEeowwww' synthy bit, but I dunno, the actual vocals in that bit (first pass of "Tears in my eyes...") sound way cleaner to me in the awesome video you kindly linked to than they do on the album. On the album it sounds like that weird sad robot in that depressing 70's song that I will shortly remember the name of but you know the one. Mr Blue Sky something. Whereas live it sounded less like that. I might just have bad hearing, people used to say that to me a lot.

You're correct yes. On the record it's a Vocoder/Auto-tune type effect on the vocals. 

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Nails nothing.  Must've been a relief to find an opinion which matched yours though (even though he likes 10,000 Days, which is probably uncomfortable).

You've made your point.

I'm so sorry me disliking something is such an affront to you. 

I just got the new album. Be back in 2 odd years when I can tell you if I like it or not. At the surface level what i've heard sounds pretty good so far. Not listened to them or anything like it for years, and I missed out on 10,000 days. Is that album really bad? It seems to get a load of stick.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, mexos said:

I missed out on 10,000 days. Is that album really bad?

No it's great, some of the best songs in the Tool catalogue.  Jambi is probably my favourite but I love the whole album.

Learning to play this stuff just makes you appreciate it more.

I saw them on the 10,000 days tour. Hammersmith I think. Pretty sure it was a seated venue. 

The band just stood in the dark. I wish I'd seen them much earlier. 

But then again I always find it's a real lottery going to see a metal band. I've had some blinders I didn't expect and some real disappointments where I was hyped. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I watched TOOL several times supporting Rage Against The Machine - great bloody times!!

That tour gave me my first ever gig! Newcastle Mayfair. I had no idea who the support were but I liked them a lot. When they came back a few months later to play the Arena (500 person capacity!) I was there right down the front. ^_^

• Upvote 2

I saw them at Brixton, Hammersmith and then Wembley. As always, the smaller the show the better. I wish I'd gone with friends to see them touring Aenima, where they played at the Astoria, I think. At that point Maynard wasn't stood at the back of the stage in silhouette, combined with them touring the best album, that would have been the perfect one to have caught.

On 30/08/2019 at 16:24, MrPogo said:

Yeah. I was all ready to rush out and buy a regular CD (which I’m sure I saw available to pre-order, but I guess that was the retailers making the same assumption as me). I suppose they think people fall into the categories of either “super hardcore fans who’ll pay £80” and “only interested in digital”, making the production of a £10 cd a waste of time :s

Maybe I'm just being cynical but I think they are trying to maximize profits.

I find I really like having it on as background music while I'm doing stuff around the house or working, but as soon as I actually try and sit down and just listen to the album I quickly get bored of it.

I think that there are bits of songs that demand your attention but then they just end up meandering on for far too long. So it works well when you are doing stuff as you kind of zone out and concentrate on what you are doing when that happens.

I really like the album. Possibly come at the right time in my life. Over the summer I gave the back catalogue a listen after quite a lot of neglect. I find that I don't simply "pop Tool on" and I rather am in the mood to listen to them, and then will exhaust my supplies until satiated. I actually didn't bother with Lateralus or even Aenima, but went straight to Opiate and Undertow. Really enjoyed listening to those albums after what must have been years.

Then I decided to pop on Lateralus, and loved it, naturally. But I got to Triad/Relfection/Disposition, and was blown away again. I was fortunate enough to see the Lateralus tour, with Triad and Reflection live (and ticks and leeches :D). Anyway, I found myself just playing Triad over and over again. I was listening to it whilst riding my motorbike and just really loved the sound. So, I listened to that song over and over almost until the new album release.

I did listen to the title track upon its release, and enjoyed it. I listened to it a lot—it's amusing how by the time a "normal song" is over at 3:40, this one is just getting going. I always liked the longer versions of tracks, like when they include the breakdown in Stinkfist etc. 

Then, I was fortunate enough to go on hoilday for 2 weeks the weekend following the album release, so I could just lie in the sun on the beach listening to the album on repeat. I am not fond of a few of the segues, but that has almost always been the way for me. When I first heard 7empest I wished this had been the single and was blown away by such a strong guitar riff on a Tool album, which I really enjoyed. 1:20 is where the "intro" is for me, and it's bloody amazing. That was my instant favourite. Then, it switched to Pneuma for a short while, then Invincible, then (and currently) Descending. The ending of Invincible >11 mins, is superb. Descending from 5:40 is sublime and really brings up the hairs on my neck. There's something "move soundtrack sounding" to Descending at the 10:33 mark. Apocalyptic scenes culminating in the gong. Just superb. Almost brought tears to my eyes numerous times.

CCT is good fun, and my GF loves it. TBH it's not Dany's best drumming, but he is so epic. TBH I just think fuck it why not?

I really dislike mockingbeat but that's irrelevant really. 

No point for me to rank the albums. I usually just have a favourite song that'll shift with my mood, and same goes for albums. As I'm older, I like less the shouty shouty screamy metal, but it sometimes has a place. NIN is still epic. Tool is still Tool. We all grow and change, and as NIN have, Tool have. And why not? Even Slipknot have matured, and people still complaining they aren't like their first album. Well, go listen to the first album. I really love the new Slipknot album, for example. But Fear Inoculum is a great album, and I am looking forward to getting my "special edition" from the re-release. If people want "Undertow era Tool" then there's a lovely record and tons of Youtube to consume. We're very fortunate. I happen to love the progression and find that it fits me well as I am getting older.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see [some of] this album live.

• Upvote 2
On 18/09/2019 at 11:40, sharak said:

When I first heard 7empest I wished this had been the single and was blown away by such a strong guitar riff on a Tool album, which I really enjoyed. 1:20 is where the "intro" is for me, and it's bloody amazing. That was my instant favourite. Then, it switched to Pneuma for a short while, then Invincible, then (and currently) Descending. The ending of Invincible >11 mins, is superb. Descending from 5:40 is sublime and really brings up the hairs on my neck. There's something "move soundtrack sounding" to Descending at the 10:33 mark. Apocalyptic scenes culminating in the gong. Just superb. Almost brought tears to my eyes numerous times.

They're all such strong tracks that it's difficult for me to select a favourite, although Invincible is probably just edging out the others at the moment.  Had a proper realisation about how good Culling Voices is the other day, such an amazing song.

They're all really good, but like all Tool (and tbh, almost all music for me) it gets more rewarding over several listens. Then, you become saturated, and have to have a break. I don't have the CD yet, and just bought a car today, so on the drive home I had Lateralus on the go. Epic album, but I have Pneuma in my head, and also some of Invincible. It really is a great release.

• Upvote 2