Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Hoop

Tool

Recommended Posts

Well as a huge fan of 10,000 days above anything eles they’ve done (parabola is aaaaaamazing) I like this new track.

The bass line sounds a bit too familiar, almost recycled and I waited in almost frustration for it to kick in with a hard snare and groovy rhythm but it didn’t really happen.

I’m sure there will be magic in this album somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Well as a huge fan of 10,000 days above anything eles they’ve done (parabola is aaaaaamazing)

You're confusing which album is which. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2019 at 08:24, Horribleman said:

There's a reason they haven't done anything in 13 years. They haven't come up with anything they're happy with.

Only so many times you can try and make D,F&A sound different before you run out of time signatures, I guess. 

 

I used to be fully fanatical about Tool so I get the defensiveness when people criticise them. I have tried more with the new song than I would do with any other band but it leaves me pretty cold. I expected we'd be getting an album of this sort of stuff, but hoped for material like 46&2, Pushit and Schism. I guess those days are long gone now. Even as I type this, I'm hoping that the track they released is the only one like that and the rest of the album will be rocky songs. I suspect not though.  I expect this will be Tool out with a whimper, rather than a bang, sadly. Or maybe not... It'd be good if they did an album every six months for a few years, having spent the past decade writing and recording in secret. I expect that's what'll happen. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

You're confusing which album is which. 

I know parabola is on a different album. I meant to say I think it’s their best song. Closely followed by the pot.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Only so many times you can try and make D,F&A sound different before you run out of time signatures, I guess. 

 

I used to be fully fanatical about Tool so I get the defensiveness when people criticise them. I have tried more with the new song than I would do with any other band but it leaves me pretty cold. I expected we'd be getting an album of this sort of stuff, but hoped for material like 46&2, Pushit and Schism. I guess those days are long gone now. Even as I type this, I'm hoping that the track they released is the only one like that and the rest of the album will be rocky songs. I suspect not though.  I expect this will be Tool out with a whimper, rather than a bang, sadly. Or maybe not... It'd be good if they did an album every six months for a few years, having spent the past decade writing and recording in secret. I expect that's what'll happen. 

I did too. I once took a day off work to get stoned and lie in the dark listening to Lateralus. 

 

10,000 days has 2-3 good songs and the journey that is 10,000 days and Wings for Marie but everything else is lacking polish or refinement. 

 

And their mellow stuff is fine after an album of crushing heaviness but not really all the way through. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

And their mellow stuff is fine after an album of crushing heaviness but not really all the way through. 

 

Yeah, I wonder how much of the album will follow the blueprint of ambient noodling for ten minutes followed by 90 seconds of syncopated one note chugging then the whole thing starting over for the next track. 

 

Anyway, I had fun looking back at my old posts in this thread from 13 years ago and I wasn't happy with the then new album so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with speculation of this one. To all who like this version of Tool, good luck and enjoy.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2019 at 07:42, Horribleman said:

10,000 days has 2-3 good songs and the journey that is 10,000 days and Wings for Marie but everything else is lacking polish or refinement.

 

Vicarious

Jambi

The Pot

Rosetta Stoned

Right in Two

 

:doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right in two is an intro stretched out. 

 

Jambii is decent. 

 

Vicarious is excellent. 

 

The Pot is decent. 

 

Not many of the songs are anywhere near as good as anything from Lateralus or Ænima. 

 

:doh:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard a Metal Injection reviewer say the words "heavy" and "aggression" when talking about a single listen he and some other journalists had. He also said some of it sounded like Meshuggah! I got quite excited at the possibility. 

 

He also said "lots of keyboards", "not a single scream" and most concerningly "ambient" A LOT.  

 

I think 10,000 Days is by far their weakest release, I think Vicarious is good and Jambi is ok but other than that, I'm not fussed at all. 

Re: right in two, I think it's crap too, but I like this cover of it:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, hebejebe said:

Not seeing much love for Rosetta Stoned, love that track.  

 

It certainly is, my band's in the middle of learning it at the moment. 

 

Tool are amazing and so is 10,000 Days. Some people have no taste.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Tool newbie I'm taking my time, so I listened to Lateralus a few times and yesterday tried 10,000 Days for the first time. And on first listen I prefer it to Lateralus :o .

 

I realise this is a heretical view and no doubt I will adopt a more orthodox belief system in due course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Darren said:

As a Tool newbie I'm taking my time, so I listened to Lateralus a few times and yesterday tried 10,000 Days for the first time. And on first listen I prefer it to Lateralus :o .

 

I realise this is a heretical view and no doubt I will adopt a more orthodox belief system in due course.

 

I do think Lateralus slightly pips 10,000 Days, but as long as you have ears correctly attuned to like both, you're alright by me :hug:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Darren said:

I listened to Lateralus a few times and yesterday tried 10,000 Days for the first time. And on first listen I prefer it to Lateralus :o .

 

I realise this is a heretical view and no doubt I will adopt a more orthodox belief system in due course.

It's quite possible that the 13 year old "current" album would be the one to choose for new listeners. Personally Aenima is the one, but I remember it as something of an awakening, so different to other music that was around, aggressive but emotional and texturally very different to other metal bands around. Without the baggage of such a strong positive reaction to something that was at it's time so groundbreaking maybe it wouldn't resonate so much today. Perhaps a bit like listening to Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin now, it'd be impossible to know what it was like for people at the time of release, having not had other music that built upon it for so long already informing your musical lexicon.  

 

I think 10,000 Days is a significantly worse album than Lateralus, even going just by the High Points, let alone the low points, but I don't know how I'd feel if I heard them both for the first time today.  I mean, I'd almost certainly pick the album with more than 2 good songs on it, but that's open to interpretation, obviously. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lateralus is a massive grower. I hated it for about 20 listen then it clicked and it's still one of my favourite albums ever. 

 

Ænima is incredible too. I think Eulogy is my favourite track from that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I've ever listened to something I hated 20 times just to make sure.  Maybe you'll have the same experience with Fear Inoculum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I don't think I've ever listened to something I hated 20 times just to make sure.  

 

You ever heard Load by Metallica? I tried so hard. 

36 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I think Eulogy is my favourite track from that. 

Pushit for me, but an album with both tracks AND H AND 46&2 has to be the best. It's such a shame he doesn't do vocals like that anymore, that more aggressive delivery was a centrepoint to their best moments, imo. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I don't think I've ever listened to something I hated 20 times just to make sure.  Maybe you'll have the same experience with Fear Inoculum.

Maybe but I'm better these days at figuring out out earlier. I stuck with Lateralus because it was 5/5 in Kerrang and I figured I was missing something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

It's quite possible that the 13 year old "current" album would be the one to choose for new listeners. Personally Aenima is the one, but I remember it as something of an awakening, so different to other music that was around, aggressive but emotional and texturally very different to other metal bands around. Without the baggage of such a strong positive reaction to something that was at it's time so groundbreaking maybe it wouldn't resonate so much today. Perhaps a bit like listening to Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin now, it'd be impossible to know what it was like for people at the time of release, having not had other music that built upon it for so long already informing your musical lexicon.  

 

I think 10,000 Days is a significantly worse album than Lateralus, even going just by the High Points, let alone the low points, but I don't know how I'd feel if I heard them both for the first time today.  I mean, I'd almost certainly pick the album with more than 2 good songs on it, but that's open to interpretation, obviously. 

My experience entirely, I’d never heard anything like them at the time of Aenima. They were nothing short of a revelation.

 

Got to say, after a few days I still really like this new song. It’s feels even more like a direct lift from Lateralus after further listens so I remain optimistic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've pre-ordered the physical version, so I didn't feel too bad about getting the album early.  I've spent 5 hours in the car today and had it on repeat the whole time, it's....

 

Rather good ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.