rllmuk
Hoop

Tool

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

I very much doubt the bassline to Pushit was written by Paul D'Amour, totally different bass style. Same with stuff like the whammy intro to Eulogy. 

Pushit and Eulogy are two of the D'Amour demos - broadly they're note-for note the same.

Interesting - and surprising - how little the arrangements change between demo & album. The bass is a lot more dominant on the demos too, can't help thinking the aggressive, upfront Rick sound suits the songs better than Chancellor's Wal.

Always assumed Tool recruited Chancellor - who they knew from touring with his former band Peach - because he played a lot like D'Amour anyway.

• Upvote 1

Very excited that they're hitting Spotify etc. at last. I wonder if they'll include Salival in the catalogue? I kind of doubt it will be there because it hasn't featured in any their recent social media posts, notably the series of posts where they list all the albums, but oh man I want that version of Pushit plz.

I definitely echo Lateralus being the album to try to get in to first. It's got a bit of everything.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Pushit and Eulogy are two of the D'Amour demos - broadly they're note-for note the same.

Interesting - and surprising - how little the arrangements change between demo & album. The bass is a lot more dominant on the demos too, can't help thinking the aggressive, upfront Rick sound suits the songs better than Chancellor's Wal.

Always assumed Tool recruited Chancellor - who they knew from touring with his former band Peach - because he played a lot like D'Amour anyway.

That's fascinating, thanks so much for linking it!  I'd always assumed it was Justin that introduced all the complex bass effects to Tool, but seems like Paul was starting to use polyrythmic delays and bass whammy before he joined.  Honestly, I'm totally shocked by this!

6 hours ago, El Stevo said:

Very excited that they're hitting Spotify etc. at last. I wonder if they'll include Salival in the catalogue? I kind of doubt it will be there because it hasn't featured in any their recent social media posts, notably the series of posts where they list all the albums, but oh man I want that version of Pushit plz.

I definitely echo Lateralus being the album to try to get in to first. It's got a bit of everything.

x10.  The version of Pushit we play in my band is an amalgamation of the original album version and the one on Salival.  There's a variation in the bass under the guitar solo in the Salival one which is so satisfying, and is missing from the album version.

• Upvote 1

On 30/07/2019 at 11:24, Darren said:

For those of us who for one reason or another never got into Tool, but have Spotify accounts and quite fancy having a listen, what should we be listening to? What's the best/most accessible album? Or is it just a case of start at the beginning?

Aenima and Lateralus are both amazing, both growers too. 10,000 days has the catchy 'The Pot' too. They're all good albums though.

• Upvote 1

Don't tell me they like cricket too. Such a big band in my life, and something me and all my old school mates love talking about in ridiculous detail. 

I don't really follow metal anymore but look forward to this. 

I wouldn't classify them as metal personally.  I think of metal as being quite mechanical (Tool have much more groove to their music than bands I'd think of as metal) and like Adam Jones, I find the term a little embarrassing.  I'd find it hard to classify Tool tbh. 

• Upvote 1

I'd say Prog metal. The bass lines are funky but only metal and jazz have drumming that complicated and they aren't jazz. A tool jazz album though would be amazing though, obviously. 

But yes I think the fact the fact they are hard to classify explains why so many diverse music lovers are fans.

• Upvote 1

There's loads of loose/groovy metal. 

I hear loads of metal in Tool. It's all minor pentatonic based and the heavy parts are heavy as fuck with lots of double bass. 

Obviously you can call anything what you want!

• Upvote 2

On 01/08/2019 at 08:25, SharkyOB said:

Day 1 of the Ashes!

517442294_ToolCricketLarge.thumb.jpg.c50ffc2d474c7e6ecf6ebc1e5ed3eec5.jpg

I wonder if they're intentionally channeling probably my all-time favourite band photoshoot:

183db7803de1fd73ba779ed0f8d91ee9.thumb.jpg.9e2f4640830abe218ee819735572464a.jpg

What WK said.

So, whose going to be splashing £80 on the Special Edition CD that comes with a 4” HD screen and speaker?

Continuing their affinity for pushing the boundaries of physical packaging, the GRAMMY Award® winning outfit has created a deluxe, limited-edition CD version of Fear Inoculum. The collectible offering, which was conceived by and directed by Adam Jones, features a 4” HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, charging cable, 2 watt speaker, a 36-page booklet and a digital download card. Pre-orders for both the special package and digital downloads are available NOW. The 85-minute collection was produced by TOOL, with Joe Barresi engineering and mixing the release. Barresi also worked with the band on 10,000 Days.”

It's great on the first few listens!  I have complete confidence that the album will be as good as 10,000 Days.  In fact, I think it's going to be better :wub:

• Upvote 1

Did anyone really think this would be any different though? 10,000 Days was incredibly uninspired compared with the preceeding two albums and that was thirteen years ago. Since then they've shown little hunger for doing another and none of them have produced anything worth listening to in the meantime.

The general sound of the track is really horrible as well. It's got this weird overly processed, digital thing going on like it's been run through some default effect plugin presets or something.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Process for listening to new Tool songs:

1. Listen to song.

2. You don't like it.

3. Listen to song several more times.

4. You love it.

This has played out for me the same way for all the new stuff as it did with their previous work. I didn't like Fear Inoculum at fist and now here I am humming "Cake Sale! Cake Sell!" because I misheard 'exhale' first time through. I like Fear Inoculum, I love Invincible and the new album will be great I'm sure. Hype! It was amusing to see Tool all over the iTunes and Last.fm top 10 charts over the last few days, above Drake and Ed Sheeran and the like. "Every Tool Album Simultaneously Cracks iTunes Top 10" etc. Short lived but satisfying.

I strongly disagree that none of them have done anything else worth listening to - Puscifer has some great songs and the latest A Perfect Circle album is absolutely superb. Like, absolutely superb.

Cake sale! Cake sell!

• Upvote 1

Quite a lot of 10,000 days I ended up liking through forced repeated exposure. I realised I actually just knew the songs and was usually waiting for one part in each song. That's not really liking them. I feel like I could probably do the same here but there's really nothing in the track interesting enough pulling me back for another listen. 

It's dull, sounds horrible and sterile and if this is the lead single then it bodes terribly for the new album. 

Vicarious was an excellent song. The rest of 10,000 days was mixed to say the least.

There's a reason they haven't done anything in 13 years. They haven't come up with anything they're happy with. Now they're under pressure. It's just for the money. Their retirement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, El Stevo said:

I strongly disagree that none of them have done anything else worth listening to - Puscifer has some great songs and the latest A Perfect Circle album is absolutely superb. Like, absolutely superb.

+1

Eat the Elephant is great and Conditions of My Parole and Money Shot are both ace albums too. 

Some utter shite being talked on this page. 

• Upvote 1