rllmuk
Hoop

Tool

45 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Did you get tickets?  Can't wait for this and bonus of Smashing Pumpkins on the Sunday too.

No, I did not. I forsee tour dates with more local venues are on the way.

43 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

No, I did not. I forsee tour dates with more local venues are on the way.

I'll be going along to anything that's reasonably local to me as well.

Yay, I was hoping the Tool thread would have come back up. I'm super looking forward to the new album! The two new songs they played seemed pretty great. The music is always so good.

I fell down a bizarre YouTube rabbit hole recently of watching people "react to Tool", which was a weird thing for me to do BUT it was funny and validating watching the progress of a channel from "People have been suggesting Tool, never heard of them, dunno, so let's have a listen" to "Hmmm..." to "OMG WE'RE GOING TO SEE TOOL LIVE WAAAAGH!"

I'm not going to Download, though I really woud like to. I saw them live around the time 10,000 Days came out and it still sticks in my mind as the best live music I have ever seen. I'll be all over any other UK date.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I really like the new songs they've been playing on their current tour. I found myself humming one of the tracks the other day and was like “What's this I'm humming? Oh yeah, it's that new Tool track.” “...” “NEW TOOL TRACK!!!!!”. Like a mental double-take. Anyway it's good, roll on August 30th.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmqRVYUkvCo

• Upvote 1

Ack, I should go to Download. Was in two minds about it but on balance I don't really fancy it. I did see Tool live once before and it remains the best thing I have seen.

There's a video of Adam Jones just randomly playing one of the Descending guitar riffs and I'm going to put the link in here because it's pretty cool and why not right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNlU0MZ__4

17 hours ago, El Stevo said:

Ack, I should go to Download. Was in two minds about it but on balance I don't really fancy it. I did see Tool live once before and it remains the best thing I have seen.

How can you not fancy it when Tool live is one of the best things you've seen?  I'm only going for them, Smashing Pumpkins are a bonus but I'd be going anyway.  It's a rare opportunity to see Tool and I'll grab every one I can.

My mate is off to download today to see Tool and I'm so happy for him because he has been wantimg to see them for aaaaaages. I just hope he doesn't get too stuck in the mud lol.

Goddamn invincible is a banger

• Upvote 3

Best gig I've ever been to, such an amazing experience shared with friends and bandmates :wub:

The two new songs sounded awesome and I can't wait for the album now. Hoping they tour next year!

And Maynard is on the latest Joe Rogan podcast, if you can bear listening to Rogan that is. 

Hoping they have quietly been getting a decent vinyl release of the new album ready. There’s still no official release of 10,000 Days, is there? Also some more uk tour dates please.

THE most frustrating band to be a fan of.

• Upvote 1

For those of us who for one reason or another never got into Tool, but have Spotify accounts and quite fancy having a listen, what should we be listening to? What's the best/most accessible album? Or is it just a case of start at the beginning?

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

For those of us who for one reason or another never got into Tool, but have Spotify accounts and quite fancy having a listen, what should we be listening to? What's the best/most accessible album? Or is it just a case of start at the beginning?

I'd say start with Lateralus (the album, rather than just that one track).  It's really accessible and completely amazing.  Aenima and 10,000 Days next as they are the other proper Tool (with Justin Chancellor on bass) albums.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Darren said:

You would be bang out of luck as Tool haven't got their albums on Spotify...

• Empathy 1

1 minute ago, Skull Commander said:

Until Friday, apparently!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

One should always read the thread before posting ;)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

The new album will be called 'Fear Inoculum', and will be available on Aug 30.

Also, just as excitingly, their back catalogue will become available on streaming platforms this Friday!

Also available on 30th, new Bon Iver album. I’ll be starting the day with Tool, following it with Bon Iver and then probably rotating through then both.

7 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I'd say start with Lateralus (the album, rather than just that one track).  It's really accessible and completely amazing.  Aenima and 10,000 Days next as they are the other proper Tool (with Justin Chancellor on bass) albums.

Yes yes yes to Lateralus and also Undertow

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Chancellor's playing Paul D'Amour's bass lines on Aenima - most of the music was written before he left. There used to be some early demos of the songs knocking around.

Considering the back catalogue's so small (for a band that's been recording for 27 years!) there's no excuse not to listen to all of it. I'd say do it chronologically.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Chancellor's playing Paul D'Amour's bass lines on Aenima - most of the music was written before he left. There used to be some early demos of the songs knocking around.

Considering the back catalogue's so small (for a band that's been recording for 27 years!) there's no excuse not to listen to all of it. I'd say do it chronologically.

I very much doubt the bassline to Pushit was written by Paul D'Amour, totally different bass style. Same with stuff like the whammy intro to Eulogy.