rllmuk

Ack, I should go to Download. Was in two minds about it but on balance I don't really fancy it. I did see Tool live once before and it remains the best thing I have seen.

There's a video of Adam Jones just randomly playing one of the Descending guitar riffs and I'm going to put the link in here because it's pretty cool and why not right.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNlU0MZ__4

17 hours ago, El Stevo said:

Ack, I should go to Download. Was in two minds about it but on balance I don't really fancy it. I did see Tool live once before and it remains the best thing I have seen.

How can you not fancy it when Tool live is one of the best things you've seen?  I'm only going for them, Smashing Pumpkins are a bonus but I'd be going anyway.  It's a rare opportunity to see Tool and I'll grab every one I can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And Maynard is on the latest Joe Rogan podcast, if you can bear listening to Rogan that is. 

Hoping they have quietly been getting a decent vinyl release of the new album ready. There’s still no official release of 10,000 Days, is there? Also some more uk tour dates please.

THE most frustrating band to be a fan of.

• Upvote 1

For those of us who for one reason or another never got into Tool, but have Spotify accounts and quite fancy having a listen, what should we be listening to? What's the best/most accessible album? Or is it just a case of start at the beginning?

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

For those of us who for one reason or another never got into Tool, but have Spotify accounts and quite fancy having a listen, what should we be listening to? What's the best/most accessible album? Or is it just a case of start at the beginning?

I'd say start with Lateralus (the album, rather than just that one track).  It's really accessible and completely amazing.  Aenima and 10,000 Days next as they are the other proper Tool (with Justin Chancellor on bass) albums.

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, Darren said:

You would be bang out of luck as Tool haven't got their albums on Spotify...

• Empathy 1
14 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

The new album will be called 'Fear Inoculum', and will be available on Aug 30.

Also, just as excitingly, their back catalogue will become available on streaming platforms this Friday!

Also available on 30th, new Bon Iver album. I’ll be starting the day with Tool, following it with Bon Iver and then probably rotating through then both.

7 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I'd say start with Lateralus (the album, rather than just that one track).  It's really accessible and completely amazing.  Aenima and 10,000 Days next as they are the other proper Tool (with Justin Chancellor on bass) albums.

Yes yes yes to Lateralus and also Undertow

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Chancellor's playing Paul D'Amour's bass lines on Aenima - most of the music was written before he left. There used to be some early demos of the songs knocking around.

Considering the back catalogue's so small (for a band that's been recording for 27 years!) there's no excuse not to listen to all of it. I'd say do it chronologically.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Chancellor's playing Paul D'Amour's bass lines on Aenima - most of the music was written before he left. There used to be some early demos of the songs knocking around.

Considering the back catalogue's so small (for a band that's been recording for 27 years!) there's no excuse not to listen to all of it. I'd say do it chronologically.

I very much doubt the bassline to Pushit was written by Paul D'Amour, totally different bass style. Same with stuff like the whammy intro to Eulogy. 

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

I very much doubt the bassline to Pushit was written by Paul D'Amour, totally different bass style. Same with stuff like the whammy intro to Eulogy. 

Pushit and Eulogy are two of the D'Amour demos - broadly they're note-for note the same.

Interesting - and surprising - how little the arrangements change between demo & album. The bass is a lot more dominant on the demos too, can't help thinking the aggressive, upfront Rick sound suits the songs better than Chancellor's Wal.

Always assumed Tool recruited Chancellor - who they knew from touring with his former band Peach - because he played a lot like D'Amour anyway.

• Upvote 1

Very excited that they're hitting Spotify etc. at last. I wonder if they'll include Salival in the catalogue? I kind of doubt it will be there because it hasn't featured in any their recent social media posts, notably the series of posts where they list all the albums, but oh man I want that version of Pushit plz.

I definitely echo Lateralus being the album to try to get in to first. It's got a bit of everything.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Pushit and Eulogy are two of the D'Amour demos - broadly they're note-for note the same.

Interesting - and surprising - how little the arrangements change between demo & album. The bass is a lot more dominant on the demos too, can't help thinking the aggressive, upfront Rick sound suits the songs better than Chancellor's Wal.

Always assumed Tool recruited Chancellor - who they knew from touring with his former band Peach - because he played a lot like D'Amour anyway.

That's fascinating, thanks so much for linking it!  I'd always assumed it was Justin that introduced all the complex bass effects to Tool, but seems like Paul was starting to use polyrythmic delays and bass whammy before he joined.  Honestly, I'm totally shocked by this!

6 hours ago, El Stevo said:

Very excited that they're hitting Spotify etc. at last. I wonder if they'll include Salival in the catalogue? I kind of doubt it will be there because it hasn't featured in any their recent social media posts, notably the series of posts where they list all the albums, but oh man I want that version of Pushit plz.

I definitely echo Lateralus being the album to try to get in to first. It's got a bit of everything.

x10.  The version of Pushit we play in my band is an amalgamation of the original album version and the one on Salival.  There's a variation in the bass under the guitar solo in the Salival one which is so satisfying, and is missing from the album version.

• Upvote 1
On 30/07/2019 at 11:24, Darren said:

Aenima and Lateralus are both amazing, both growers too. 10,000 days has the catchy 'The Pot' too. They're all good albums though.

• Upvote 1