On 09/02/2021 at 12:32, Mr Combo Breaker said:

haha, don't let him watch Evangelion yet, that'd be like reading Watchmen as your first ever comic :lol: 

Pfff watched it when I was 11, bought the tapes from WH Smith for £15.95 I think for two episodes. Didn't get it but loved the fight scenes:). Pretty much like Patlabor which at the time my tiny mind found it really boring, but now older and re-watching has become a favourite of mine.

He's already rinsed One Punch Man and Magica Madoka, we're watching Fullmetal Alchemist together, and he's started on Demon Slayer.

I'm about to get all Yorkshireman on him – "when I were a lad you had to pay £18 for a tape of Vampire Hunter D, and it were only half an hour long! You don't know you're born…"

Demon Slayer goes completely to shit the moment Zenitsu turns up doesn't it?

Does anyone actually find this stuff funny? The same joke over and over and over and over again, getting louder and louder and louder each time. Completely unwatchable but paradoxically almost worth enduring a couple of episodes of it just for the spectacle of how bad it is.

I have a question for my fellow weebs:

Given that Jo Jo Stardust Crusaders might be one of the most amazing things I've watched, is it worth me checking out the next series? How do they all compare? Bare in mind I didn't like the previous ones much, but Stardust Crusaders was somehow brilliant.

Oh boy, you're in for a treat because IMO Stardust Crusaders might actually be weaker than the two arcs that immediately preceded and followed it. Battle Tendency is incredibly fun (and massively improved on the first arc), but Diamond is Unbreakable is an actual masterpiece.

Yeah I've seen Battle Tendency and Phantom Blood, and both parts of Crusaders. To be honest I think I just love Grandpa Joestar too much and am not expecting anything to compete.

All of JJBA is excellent. The way it subtly re-invents itself with each arc has kept the manga fresh for over thirty years. There's nothing quite like it.

The anime adaptations are really good, I only wish they could have licensed more of the music references. It confused the hell out of my wife, when for a couple of weeks she'd hear Roundabout come from my laptop speakers several times a day.

Diamond has the best second half to any JoJo. The first half being a strange mixed bag of creative ideas that don't all land, but are worth watching because you can see how much fun Araki is having experimenting with these things.

Golden Wind isn't my favourite but I can see why it's popular. It feels a lot like FFXV in a way and there's some very emotional scenes. The cool fights and characters can be let down (IMO) by how convoluted the powers can be. They just don't really follow any form of logic - but I still need to rewatch it; maybe I'll appreciate it more 2nd time around.

Both are definitely worth watching and are still better than nearly everything else. And as mentioned before - they do feel fresh and very different.

Yeah, I stopped watching Golden Wind about 10 episodes into its initial airing, thinking it might be a better binge watch once it was finished, but I've tried a couple of times to get back to it and it just hasn't stuck, sadly.

Well I've started watching Diamond

Spoiler

And after JoJo from the last arc turned up saying naughty Gramps Joestar had had a love child I was hooked already.

I really have to enthuse about Diamond is Unbreakable episode 13:

Spoiler

So something I loved about Stardust Crusaders is how much the main characters cared about and looked out for each other, and all had a really strong sense of moral decency. Obviously Joseph Joestar was my favourite and when he turned up as a doddery old man in Diamond it made me quite sad... So Episode 13, firstly, was the kind of hilariously random episode JoJo hijinks that I love but then when things got serious, Grandpa Jo does one of the most unexpected, amazingly selfless and awesome and clever things ever, and it actually made me cry.

Holy shit indeed!

I got Wicked City / Demon City Shinjuku on Blu-ray, just watched the first film. Picture quality is great and I have enjoyed the animation and colours (Madhouse, innit), but it felt strangely padded for such a short film, the characters are barely one-dimensional and the sexual content was more than a bit rum. I'm no prude but far too grubby for my tastes. I understand this is pretty well regarded/fondly remembered. Is it one where I need to have seen it at the time, maybe? 

I watched it when I was about 13 and it was the third anime film that I'd seen (after Fist of the North Star and Akira), so I guess it left an impression of sorts.

It's more than a little problematic though (the pervy old guy stood out, even back then, the vagina dentata demon lady too which was mostly awkward because I was watching the film with my Dad and my older sister. My sister and I just looked at each other and avoided looking at our Dad). I wouldn't recommend those films to anyone now, but I still have a soft spot for them.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the Cyber City series for the cyberpunk asthetic, featuring kilometre high skyscrapers, orbital habitats and I can't remember, some kind of giant killer robot thing (in the second episode?).

Started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, only 4 episodes in and...

Spoiler

Jack the Ripper hiding inside a horse!

Hard to see how anything else can top this incredible image.

Also I'm obsessed with the combination of the super angular shadows on the characters and the near total disregard for consistency, proportion and human anatomy.

6 hours ago, matt0 said:

Hard to see how anything else can top this incredible image.

Oh you have no idea what a wild ride you’re in for. Where you’re at is considered the mundane stuff.

On 11/02/2021 at 14:06, matt0 said:

Demon Slayer goes completely to shit the moment Zenitsu turns up doesn't it?

Does anyone actually find this stuff funny? The same joke over and over and over and over again, getting louder and louder and louder each time. Completely unwatchable but paradoxically almost worth enduring a couple of episodes of it just for the spectacle of how bad it is.

Missed this comment. It does dip a fair bit in the scenes when he's first introduced - like they're smashing you in the face with his *zanyness* whilst saying "YOU LOVE YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND!" over and over. But I'm glad to say he ends up having some genuinely good scenes and being a bit more likable by the end.

On 18/02/2021 at 13:23, JohnC said:

JoJo spin-off Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan went up on Netflix today. 

Yeah... It was good but I sort of expected more than 4 episodes and you could tell it was pretty low budget. Closest thing I can think to compare it to is Mushishi - but Mushishi is a 10 and this is an 8 at best.

I think I watched the first two episodes of One Punch Man S2 and gave up because it was a let down after S1, but I've put CrunchyRoll on the PS5 today and have been watching it and really enjoying it, actually.

I think it helps that Crunchroll is no longer complete garbage, and the ads are short (I think there were previously like 4 per episode. Now it's one 15-20s ad at the beginning and that's it). Not having to faff around with torrents and streams when trying to watch anime makes such a difference.

I've been watching the two new Cells at Work series. Cells at Work season 2 has gone for a format where it does a couple of stories per episode, which is quite snappy but feel less substantial than the first season. Cells at Work Black on the other hand, follows the one episode one story format and, conceptually, leads to some quite hilarious stuff due to it being about an old bloke abusing their body with alcohol and drugs. And it's clearly aimed at an older audience, though somehow this makes the absurdity not quite work as well when it's trying to be serious. However, it's unfortunately nowhere near as good as the parent series, just because it relies on tired old male gaze and stupidly proportioned characters as shorthand for "mature".

Spoiler

There is something quite hilarious about how epic the body attempting to achieve an erection is though.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I watched the first two episodes of One Punch Man S2 and gave up because it was a let down after S1, but I've put CrunchyRoll on the PS5 today and have been watching it and really enjoying it, actually.

I think it helps that Crunchroll is no longer complete garbage, and the ads are short (I think there were previously like 4 per episode. Now it's one 15-20s ad at the beginning and that's it). Not having to faff around with torrents and streams when trying to watch anime makes such a difference.

One Punch Man is fun but I always recommend his other work Mob Psycho

15 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really like where the story goes during S2, but the art and animation are noticably worse which I think has a big effect.

31 minutes ago, Broker said:

I really like where the story goes during S2, but the art and animation are noticably worse which I think has a big effect.

Yeah, it's very poor in places, but not uniformly terrible. Seems to be massively budget constrained as well. Having not seen S1 in a long time really helps make it less noticeable though.

I dropped of Mob Psycho in the middle of S1, but will probably get back to it after finishing OPM S2.

I figured I'd watch the final season of Attack on Titan as I figured despite the problematic stuff that kind of reared its ugly head before, maybe I was wrong about the show and the general theme is that oppression against people is bad but in episode 4... Holy shit:

Spoiler

The Tybur family of "nobles" who rebelled against other Jews apparently (because that's what the Eldians are supposed to be. If you give your oppressed characters arm bands, then, that is who you are representing). They are now apparently running the world as they have guided Marley for years, the country carrying out oppression and atrocities, even against their own people. I mean, fuck me, what even am I watching. That is literally one of the most racist anti Semitic tropes there is.

TLDR. The show plenty of people are getting giddy over still for some reason is deeply deeply thematically suspect. No one seems to be discussing that aspect of the show in here... Like, is this a blind spot because it's a show people like or something? What am I missing?

Okay it's not quite what it first appeared maybe, but it's impossible to take any of this shit seriously :lol:

Spoiler

The fact there are "bad" Jews who sealed themselves away because of things they did then set up a conspiracy against their own people to "save the world" or whatever. This is pure, pure shite.

EDIT it actually was what it first appeared:

Spoiler

World running Jew "noble" on the stage still a "bad" guy.

The whole thing feels like it was written by someone with a child's grasp of real world history, who has just run wild with random half formed ideas without any real understanding of the meaning or possible ramifications of any of it.