rllmuk

Just finished watching (well. binging) Parasyte and it ended up being really great!

Apart from a few episodes near the end when the main character just sits around in a van while all the stuff happens somewhere else.

MNeed something that isn't your typical shonen series to watch with the missus. She has recently really enjoyed watching the following with me:

• Mushi-shi
  • Land of the Lustrous
  • Haibane Renmei
  • House of the Five Leaves
  • Witch Hunter Robin

Any recommendations for more thoughtful, unusual anime like this; slightly slower-paced, character-driven, slightly fantastical or traditional Japanese settings?

Doesn't mind decent SF action; likes Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Psycho Pass, too..

• Upvote 1

Have you watched the one about the shogi playing kid? March Comes in Like a Lion. Pretty slow paced but I really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 2

Anyone know how truthful it stays to the manga outside the name changes?

Im thinking i may use the wait to watch the Anime.

12 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Anyone know how truthful it stays to the manga outside the name changes?

Im thinking i may use the wait to watch the Anime.

Pretty close. Anime is so good I gave up on the manga as I didn't want to spoilt it :lol:

• Upvote 1

Got my Gunsmith Cats DVD out today. Still one of the best title sequences in anime IMO

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Finished Hunter x Hunter with my son. What should we watch next? He’s 10.

Wait at least ten years until the next season of Hunter x Hunter.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

15 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

You could try Yu Yu Hakusho the adaptation of the guy's previous manga. It's quite old so be prepared for 90s production values.

• Upvote 1

Screen Anime is billed as the world's first virtual film festival. Whether that's true or not I don't know but I signed up for the first month because I wanted to watch Promare (new thing from TRIGGER, who are responsible for Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill). It's pretty good! Very stylish.

Anyway there's also other things on there - Patema Inverted is a lovely sci-fi thing about a girl for whom gravity is reversed, along with Penguin Highway (which I've not got around to watching yet but it sounds mad), Royal Space Force, and two seasons of Wolf's Rain. 

It all runs off the Vimeo back end and has so far been really reliable.

Next month's titles are coming on the 25th, and a sub costs £4 a month:

Weathering With You

Your Name

Fireworks

Anthem of the Heart

Silver Spoon

https://www.screenanime.com/ 

Royal Space Force is Wings of Honneamise, isn't it? Haven't seen that for yonks.

• Upvote 2

I'm definitely doing this just for Promare, given that I missed the seemingly brief theatrical release. Oh, not available in my region. Bugger. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/06/2020 at 11:51, Harsin said:

You could try Yu Yu Hakusho the adaptation of the guy's previous manga. It's quite old so be prepared for 90s production values.

What do you know it appeared on Netflix!

On 12/06/2020 at 18:44, sir stiff_one said:

Have you watched one piece yet?

Been watching with my son ( 9 ) and both of us absolutely love it. 20 seasons worth!

5 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Exactly. So long! We might do at some point but it’s nice to start and finish something.

We're up to the TV release now. Watched all that in a year and half?! Sometimes 4 a day. It really is worth it. The story and character progression are top notch. Probably the first thing I've watched and enjoyed together with my son and wife.