rllmuk

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m halfway through and End of Evangelion popped up on my Netflix feed. It’s fantastic. Can’t believe this came out in 1995 when there’s so much dross between then and now. Seems like not enough has been learnt from it. 

I watched Akira when I was like 14 and just thought it was weird nonsense. I don’t really understand what was going on but this has made me think I’d like to go back and give it another watch. 

Well, the good news is Otomo is doing a 4k remaster of Akira and he's also now doing an series adaptation of the full manga (which wasn't finished when he made the movie)

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m halfway through and End of Evangelion popped up on my Netflix feed. It’s fantastic. Can’t believe this came out in 1995 when there’s so much dross between then and now. Seems like not enough has been learnt from it. 

It's like that in any media form though. Do you think all those yearly rom coms go back to reference Citizen Kane? There's plenty of decent anime that comes out on a regular basis which hold together a story much better than it ever did.  The ending of the original anime was so much of a disaster because they had no cash so went back to correct it later with better funding for a movie. 

A lot of it definitely doesn't hold up today.

I’m thinking about simple things like the pacing and exposition. The episodes are wonderfully paced, they avoid long, drawn out fights and most of the angels are so weird that just hitting them with your big robot doesn’t get you anywhere or just isn’t an option. 

And the exposition is brilliant (for an anime). They don’t get bogged down in the details and while there’s a bit of your standard “LONG ANIME MONOLOGUE” it’s usually restricted to backstories rather than what’s happening on screen. They let that unfold by itself or explain what’s going on by using smart cuts. 

Also there’s a bit of your embarrassing female objectification stuff but honestly nowhere near as much as I’d expect from something this old.

I probably haven’t articulated that stuff very well but essentially it seems like the people who made it really get that “less is more” in a genre which otherwise seems pretty convinced that more is more.

edit: @Lorfarius Out of interest, which bits do you feel don’t hold up today?

On 03/07/2019 at 10:43, Mr Combo Breaker said:

it's a shame, I'm still really enjoying the manga :(

I cracked and gave Attack on Titan another shot (when the anime first come out and was really big I had already got fucked off with the manga and dropped it). Just started Season 3 which is pretty much the point where I stopped reading. It's so much fun, the swings in tone could give you whiplash. The asspulls are all hilarious. The music is epic 

Favourite Moments

Reveal hidden contents

Eren 'I've finally completed my training now it's time to go kill some titans', gets jobbed out and eaten in seconds.

The Santa Claus Titan

Connie's Mum Titan :lol: 

The Beast Titan running with a load of giant ghost animals (including a giraffe!!) in the S2 op

'C'mere a sec mate, I'm the Armoured Titan, he's the Collossal Titan, lol, don't make a scene mate'

Cravat guy 'you mean all this time I've been flying around like a maniac committing murder?'

all caught up now, complete madness, they were  

Spoiler

refugees from Space Warsaw all along

Continuing on via the Manga. The art is so terrible 

BIG BALLS MANGA SPOILERS

Spoiler

Big dirty timeskip, always hate those

Shitload of new kid characters, lol half of them are dead now

Eren has gone super emo

Everyone has sexy new black variant outfits

Everyone is like a foot taller than Cravat Guy now :lol: 

On 06/07/2019 at 11:28, Lorfarius said:

It's like that in any media form though. Do you think all those yearly rom coms go back to reference Citizen Kane? There's plenty of decent anime that comes out on a regular basis which hold together a story much better than it ever did.  The ending of the original anime was so much of a disaster because they had no cash so went back to correct it later with better funding for a movie. 

A lot of it definitely doesn't hold up today.

The original series ending, ep. 25 and 26 are amazing (as is the EoE ep. 25 & 26). It also appears to be a bit of an urban myth that they were running out of money. 

9 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The original series ending, ep. 25 and 26 are amazing (as is the EoE ep. 25 & 26). It also appears to be a bit of an urban myth that they were running out of money. 

It's not an urban myth, Anno has just denied it, and people have believed that denial.

I guess the fact that the final two episodes of Eva being a surreal jazz odyssey would also make them much cheaper to produce is just a coincidence.

I wonder what reasons led to the same thing happening on every single other TV anime series he made? In Nadia: Secret of Blue Water the characters all hang out on the island of no plot development and even less animation value for dozens of episodes, and eventually spurt out an underwhelming ending. The final episodes of both Gunbuster and Kare Kano are literally just the camera panning over storyboards.

Seems Hideaki Anno has an odd penchant for the visual flair of extremely cheap to produce endings. What a strange quirk for a creator.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Comrade said:

It's not an urban myth, Anno has just denied it, and people have believed that denial.

I guess the fact that the final two episodes of Eva being a surreal jazz odyssey would also make them much cheaper to produce is just a coincidence.

I wonder what reasons led to the same thing happening on every single other TV anime series he made? In Nadia: Secret of Blue Water the characters all hang out on the island of no plot development and even less animation value for dozens of episodes, and eventually spurt out an underwhelming ending. The final episodes of both Gunbuster and Kare Kano are literally just the camera panning over storyboards.

Seems Hideaki Anno has an odd penchant for the visual flair of extremely cheap to produce endings. What a strange quirk for a creator.

Whether the style of it was a result of cost or not completely doesn’t matter as those final two episodes are amazing! Totally odd and surreal inter-personal study of self and I found it utterly captivating. That’s what NGE is all about rather than the giant robots battling, which is more just window dressing. 

• Upvote 1

Fire Force, interesting idea but the structure was so terrible... You can see the potential in what they've got but they're so scared of losing your attention that they just throw everything on the table episode 1 which really just disregards character development. I mean you have a nun in the group, why not have her be the last person join and have an interesting moral debate leading up to that? Why is there 2 badly animated flashbacks? They could have opened with either one and just properly animated them as the present - then skipping forward in time.

Doesn't help that the main character proves himself twice in the first episode...

On 10/07/2019 at 20:58, Kevvy Metal said:

Whether the style of it was a result of cost or not completely doesn’t matter as those final two episodes are amazing! Totally odd and surreal inter-personal study of self and I found it utterly captivating. That’s what NGE is all about rather than the giant robots battling, which is more just window dressing. 

25/26 are good, in the context of everything we got. But if you were a fan of the programme when it was first shown in 1996, with no indication of a movie coming or anything, they are absolute bullshit. A show finale has to do more than just explore and complete the character arc of the main character. There are a host of other characters and an entire plot that are just given extremely oblique hints as to their fate.

When watching the series through, you like 25 and 26 because you know that End of Eva is coming up after to wrap everything up. In 1996 they did not know that.

On 30/06/2019 at 18:17, JohnC said:

They've announced the final season of Attack on Titan for autumn 2020. It's a bit away, but at least there is an end coming.

The manga is ending within the next year.

On 03/07/2019 at 10:32, Zero9X said:

This season of OPM is goddamn awful. They shouldn’t have bothered. Missing animation and character changes completely omitted, Garo’s hair Colour and eye changed in one scene, in a single cut for no reason. Unless I am missing something.

It it does that in the manga and webcomic too. It’s never fully explained but you can infer the reasoning from events later on.

On 06/07/2019 at 11:11, HarryBizzle said:

I watched Akira when I was like 14 and just thought it was weird nonsense. I don’t really understand what was going on but this has made me think I’d like to go back and give it another watch. 

You really should, it’s spectacular.

• Upvote 1

On 10 July 2019 at 20:16, Comrade said:

Oh god that bloody island in Nadia! it just drags on with nothing happening for about 10 episodes! 

I do remember the end of Nadia being good though. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m coming to the end of NGE. Should I watch the last two episodes or just skip them and watch End of Evangelion instead?

Watch both so you can see what all the fuss was about.

I originally watched NGE out of sequence depending on what VHS tapes I managed to find a couple of years after it's UK release. I was confused as fuck by those last two episodes when I hadn't seen the previous few. They do make sense in context though, at least thematically.

21 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Watch both so you can see what all the fuss was about.

I originally watched NGE out of sequence depending on what VHS tapes I managed to find a couple of years after it's UK release. I was confused as fuck by those last two episodes when I hadn't seen the previous few. They do make sense in context though, at least thematically.

Thanks. Just watched them and can see why people would be annoyed. Only looking on the wiki sort of helps explain wtf was going on. 

The Human Instrumentality Project kicked off but it’s not clear what got it started other than the 17th angel going down. 

Very odd. I hope End Of is better. 

I watched Shin Godzilla over the weekend and it is hilarious how much that movie is just a long episode of Evangelion. It’s even got Rei and Asuka in it!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Comrade said:

I watched Shin Godzilla over the weekend and it is hilarious how much that movie is just a long episode of Evangelion. It’s even got Rei and Asuka in it!

Has it really?

In all the times i've watched the movie i've never noticed that. 

I noticed the whole anime short monster he did being in it. 

EDIT:

A quick google brought me to this LOOOOL

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Shin-Godzilla-vs-Evangelion/dp/B01J7DHF94

AND THIS!

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/06/01/godzilla-vs-evangelion-teaser-universal-studios-japan-anime/

I think it's so cool that things like Universal have cool things like that in Japan.

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Has it really?

In all the times i've watched the movie i've never noticed that. 

I noticed the whole anime short monster he did being in it. 

EDIT:

A quick google brought me to this LOOOOL

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Shin-Godzilla-vs-Evangelion/dp/B01J7DHF94

AND THIS!

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/06/01/godzilla-vs-evangelion-teaser-universal-studios-japan-anime/

I think it's so cool that things like Universal have cool things like that in Japan.

Rei and Asuka are in the film in as much that there are two major female characters, and one is a quiet, intelligent and emotionless to the point of near autism young Japanese woman, and the other is young, half-Japanese westerner who is brash, disarmingly informal, and a little sexually forward.

It’s Rei and Asuka.

OK, so I've seen some NGE before, but rewatching it I definitely haven't seen it all before. I've watched the ADV version with the DC episodes and EOE. I preferred the ending of the series, though obviously after watching EOE I have a better understanding of the events leading to the original ending. The EOE ending is horrible though, and I preferred the optimism of the original one.

I might check out the Netflix version at some point, and it seems Death and Rebirth is pointless after what I've already watched. How are the Rebuild movies?

Rebuild movies are fantastic! Watch ASAP. 3.33 is a little disappointing but does leave you wanting more. First two are fabulous, the animation is stunning.

Shin-Godzilla is good stuff, I echo what everyone has mentioned. It is basically evangelion in live action, complete with the music. Completely decimates the two recent us movies. 

• Upvote 1

So I think everyone has to experience Sarazanmai... I'm not even going to try and explain what it's about - it's just a bit... Different?

I've also just finished rewatching NGE. I couldn't get all of the way through the final episode though. In previous viewings it never quite hit me that the entire series seems to be about Anno's issues. It's brave and maybe kind of crazy to air your inner thoughts like that in your art. It's also clear to me that the structure of the final two episodes was planned, though I expect that the transition was not originally supposed to be so abrupt.

The series is a masterpiece even today, although it's not an easy thing to watch (I don't like stuff which has a bad ending).

Am watching the Netflix version of NGE, first time for me.

Just saw episode 24 last night - that one and the preceding few threw me for a loop for sure.

Cool show - and I love some of the ideas in it.

I think I’m OK with the controversial edit they made to Kaworu’s dialogue after having read about it then seeing the episode, though I’d like to process it a bit more.

Great article and one that feels eerily familiar, having read a number of similar pieces involving those that lay eggs for the entertainment industry to chow down.

Just using my recent watch of NGE as an example, NGE might have lost a lot if it had greater budget to enable the tinkering/rendering of exposition currently left open to interpretation. And adding to the sparse number of locations would detract from the themes of isolation and depression too.

But people should get paid.

I agree that putting the profit to creators on the backend via royalties and a smarter bonus structure, might be a way forward. But, Hollywood accounting, right?

So sad.

What’s the solution??

• Upvote 1

It sounds like Kyoto Animation is doing things the right way, plus they make awesome anime!*

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-12-02/what-makes-kyoto-animation-so-special/.95559

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2017/11/02/films/kyoto-anime-studios-dedication-nuturing-talent-leads-big-screen-magic/#.XS-zyXt7k2w

*Seriously, check out K-On!, Sound Euphonium and Tamako Market, all heartfelt and often very funny slice-of-life shows that look the business.