I only realised last night that Gridman was developed from an earlier short from about 2015. I had seen the short before but had apparently forgotten enough to not make the connection.

Asirpa's faces are the best.

On 05/01/2019 at 09:40, VN1X said:

ISEKAI! I can finally put a name on the genre I loathe! Isekai! They're all shit!

(except for Tanya the Evil and maybe Konosuba) 

Is that the generic 'woke up in an alternate fantasy world' stuff? Or the more limited 'ended up in a virtual game world only it was REAL' stuff? I lose track. Not forgetting anime set in a fantasy world that is actually based on a game world played straight, as if it were real (like the original Druaga series back in the day).

It’s someone from one world (usually this one) waking up in another world. I think the word actually means “another world”. Specifically another world in an alternate or parallel universe rather than just another planet like Mars or whatever. 

Ended up watching the entirety of Goblin Slayer which actually turned out to be somewhat decent by the end. Not sure if I want more but I'll definitely give the second season a shot if it's more along the lines of the second half of this season. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Just got back from seeing Dragon Ball Super: Broly

It was awesome and made Broly a more sympathetic character this time around. Some great jokes and stunning action and animation all around.

Well worth a watch.

Agreed. It was spectacular.

It's success in the States has caught Hollywood by surprise -

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-ball-super-broly-box-office-opening-glass-1202538734/

$7 million on opening day last Wednesday led to $22 million over 6 days.

If you have yet to book tickets, It's available here in IMAX as well -

https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/dragon_ball_super_broly_sfl_subtitled_foreign_language/18280/

(Link is for the Subbed version. Film is also available Dubbed if that's your preference.)

On 24/01/2019 at 00:45, Djx said:

If you have yet to book tickets, It's available here in IMAX as well -

https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/dragon_ball_super_broly_sfl_subtitled_foreign_language/18280/

(Link is for the Subbed version. Film is also available Dubbed if that's your preference.)

Odeon have pulled a bait and switch with Dragonball Super: Broly at the last minute.

Looks like almost all of the Subbed versions listed in the above link for Odeon have been switched to the Dubbed version (The exception is just 2 Odeon cinemas).

That's annoying, to say the least. Ah well, still going into town to watch it again in IMAX.

Edit -

Manga UK confirmed the error in listings was due to a glitch -

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/1088756722876014593

How is that Shield Hero only on its 4th episode? It's packed more story into those few shows that some other 24 ep shows manage!  It reminded me of the big Rem scene with just the two of them talking. 

Spoiler

The effect he's had on on the girl all along without realising, close to breaking down and she just lifts back up in front of all the crazy sneering crowd.  Then that ending when he can taste food again, man that was insanely good. Honestly had me close to blubbing :lol: why the hell aren't more people watching it?!?!?!

My local cinema had DragonBall Super: Broly on this morning, so I my daughter and I had the cinema to ourselves, well there was one other guy that of course was sitting in our seats. 

It was was her first DB film, she’d watched a few episodes of Super (JPN), but his was the dubbed version, which after watching so much DBZ dubbed I actually prefer to the JPN language version. Probably the only anime where I’d choose the dub over the sub.  

Anyhow, it’s a real step up in animation quality (not that it’s saying much considering how poor a lot of DB looks most of the time.)

The plot itself is a slow burn but the end fights are insane, we really enjoyed it and it was great to finally watch it on the big screen. 

On 30/01/2019 at 17:17, Lorfarius said:

How is that Shield Hero only on its 4th episode? It's packed more story into those few shows that some other 24 ep shows manage!  It reminded me of the big Rem scene with just the two of them talking. 

Hide contents

The effect he's had on on the girl all along without realising, close to breaking down and she just lifts back up in front of all the crazy sneering crowd.  Then that ending when he can taste food again, man that was insanely good. Honestly had me close to blubbing :lol: why the hell aren't more people watching it?!?!?!

Yup liking this a lot, just binged the four episodes and it feels like 10 episodes worth of content.  

10 hours ago, Oracle said:

Yup liking this a lot, just binged the four episodes and it feels like 10 episodes worth of content.  

That opening episode was really good as a two parter, thought it wasn't going to be anything special but by the end I was strapping in for the ride :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2019 at 12:04, John Edward Gammell said:

Yay, the rest of my sales anime finally showed up!

gKTJQWcl.jpg

Psycho Pass is really quite good. 

Although I have an issue with anime where  although I enjoy a good amount of it none of it grabs me the way OG GitS does, thematically, artistically, musically, etc. I have watched it dozens of times and still feel super moved when I watch it. GitS 2: Innocence is almost as powerful, in a really haunting, lonely kind of way. I feel like I was kind of spoiled years ago (first anime I watched) and maybe I just need to let it go lol. The TV shows are not very good, although the Stand Alone Complex movies are pretty interesting. The fan service outfits do my head in :(

Anyone got any suggestions? That’s my kind of jam. I’m about 4 episodes into Ergo Proxy but don’t know how I feel about it. 

13 hours ago, SuperBrother said:

Today I blitzed through the entire series of A Place Further Than the Universe on Crunchy.  It’s rather lovely and a nice change of pace from my normal go to stuff. Highly recommended.

haha, I had no idea that's what it was called. In my head it's just Antarctica Girls. It's good but it took them ages to actually get going.