rllmuk

Ooh, one of the new series, Cells at Work (Hataraku Saibou), sounds like that old 80s show Once Upon a Time... Life.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the first episode of "Banana Fish"

I know the manga is held in high regard although i have never read it and the only thing i can work out is different is that the manga was set in 1980s where the anime is set in the present day or near to it. 

I really enjoyed the first episode of the anime it's got more than enough to make me coming back for more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3Sg5RYTgY

Plot Summary: Nature made Ash Lynx beautiful; nurture made him a cold ruthless killer. A runaway brought up as the adopted heir and sex toy of "Papa" Dino Golzine, Ash, now at the rebellious age of seventeen, forsakes the kingdom held out by the devil who raised him. But the hideous secret that drove Ash's older brother mad in Vietnam has suddenly fallen into Papa's insatiably ambitious hands--and it's exactly the wrong time for Eiji Okamura, a pure-hearted young photographer from Japan, to make Ash Lynx's acquaintance... 

Thanks for mentioning this. Nothing stood out that was new in the release schedule for me. 

On 07/07/2018 at 19:30, JohnC said:

Ooh, one of the new series, Cells at Work (Hataraku Saibou), sounds like that old 80s show Once Upon a Time... Life.

It's proper bonkers too and lots of fun.

My copy of Part 1 of Stardust Crusaders arrived on bluray the other day. Now just getting stuck into it again.

nzSDIn6.jpg

:lol:

Nymzly9.jpg

• Upvote 3

I love new anime season! So many shows to watch it makes it difficult to watch them all but I'm having a bloody good go.  Last season was one of the best I've seen with very few stinkers and lots of interesting shows this time it seems to be off to a great start as I'm hooked on loads and most have only hit episode 1!

I just had to stop by and recommend everyone watch Grand Blue. Based on drunk college and university students so not the usual high school crowd... but it made me like a mad man. The first episode was hilarious and it might just be my show of the year and it hasn't even started :lol:  Has the usual anime standard of animation with these fantastic real life style reactions. So weird but the jokes land pretty well.

• Upvote 1

Yep watched that yesterday. Everything else i've seen hasn't stood out.

Banana Fish is too shojo for me lol and i've seen and watched gravitation. :lol:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Still haven't watched the other two! :lol:

You should, bloody great they are. Nice animation in them.

• Upvote 1

Season 3  / Episode 1 of Attack on Titan is out now. For those that are interested. Judging from what they have showed prior to release, it's going to be a good season if the manga is anything to go by.

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2018 at 18:07, Zero9X said:

You should, bloody great they are. Nice animation in them.

3.0 was saved only by Utada Hikaru's cracking song.

If anybody's at Amecon this weekend feel free to come say hello.

IMG_20180727_121429.jpg

If you're not sure just shout Hellcock and see what the reaction is.

• Upvote 1

The first episode of the new AoT series was really fucking boring. I nearly fell asleep.

On 06/07/2018 at 14:31, VN1X said:

Fucking hell this was so awesome! :lol:

I erupted in laughter at the sheer amount of epic put on display lol. 

Yup! I've blitzed through all of My Hero Academia over the last week or so, such a great show. That entire scene had me grinning like a loon. Same with All Might and his United States of Smash. Just absolute madness.

• Upvote 2

Megalobox done, I found it pretty enjoyable if a little throwaway.

Might give Boruto a go next to see if it captures the old Naruto magic.

On 28/07/2018 at 08:55, Chow said:

Yup! I've blitzed through all of My Hero Academia over the last week or so, such a great show. That entire scene had me grinning like a loon. Same with All Might and his United States of Smash. Just absolute madness.

Same, there were moments in the first season where I was thinking of dropping the show but I am so glad I stuck with it, such epic moments and the show does a very good job of building it up, great music too. I've repeated that United States of Smash bit so many times, absolutely mad and brilliant. 

On 28/07/2018 at 00:35, Benny said:

The first episode of the new AoT series was really fucking boring. I nearly fell asleep.

I thought it was great, really showed a calm before the storm with some good action towards the end.

2nd episode delivered animation wise, improved on the manga's panels. Do wonder where it will end this season.

On 29/07/2018 at 01:34, SuperBrother said:

Might give Boruto a go next to see if it captures the old Naruto magic.

Hmm.

Boruto is a mess, although it's getting better. First of all, the manga and anime immediately diverged after Naruto in a strange way. There were 3 films after Naruto finished, one of which was a lead in to Boruto. Except, it's taken until about 60 odd episodes to catch up. I thought I'd look it up, and wiki describes it as:

Unlike the manga, which began as a retelling of the film Boruto: Naruto the Movie (2015), the Boruto anime acts like a prequel set before Boruto and his friends become ninjas in a later arc. A series of light novels have also been written.

I suppose if you've never watched the movies, Boruto picks up after Naruto cleanly. But we're obsessed with Naruto in our house, so obviously bought the films. The lack of continuity between anime, manga, and films was jarring.

Anyway, we've now moved past the film, at 66 episodes, so we're starting to properly get into it. And, the anime did explain it better than the film. Generally, the problem with Boruto is:

Spoiler

- They've almost literally rehashed all of the characters, conveniently pairing out characters from Naruto to create that hybrid of powers even if the relationship wasn't ever explained

- Some of the characters have aged terribly, like they turned Anko fat. Why didn't Kakashi turn into a old fat guy?

- The reason Naruto is busy all the time is really contrived, even in the context of the modernization of Konoha. I get the thing they were going for, but there were better ways to realize Naruto not knowing how to be a dad, as he didn't know his, without him filling out paperwork 24/7. It's turned Naruto into a bit of a dick, and I don't see that in his character at all. The scenes where he's at home being a little uncomfortable? Those are good. But he did spend some time with his parents as chakra, and surely he sees how others interact with their kids.

- Sasuke is still a bell-end, and his hands off approach to his daughter just weird. The dynamic between him and Sakura isn't a great message for young kids watching this show

- Hinata has been turned into a house wife. The message this sends actually pisses me off a bit. I mean, if she outright said she wanted to avoid danger to look after the kids while Naruto sits in front of Excel all day, fine, but it isn't. So you have the heir to the Huyga clan, who was powerful enough to briefly take on Pain, now doing dishes. In isolation it might be overlooked, but there are enough little things like this throughout the story that cause me to think it's not oversight.

Still, the intro music to the first season is excellent :) Also, Boruto's name (bolt) is a touching tribute to Neji (nut). Hence the bolt in the logo.

• Upvote 1

I’ve not seen the films or checked out the manga yet so going in blind to an extent.

First 6 eps are breezy enough but not enough epic stuff yet, I suppose it will take some time to get going.

Still trying to figure out who the parents are for some of these new kids.

What's weird is that until you're almost caught up, and get to where the anime retells the Boruto film, there's no major arc. Nothing like where about 20 eps in on Naruto they encounter Haku and Zabuza. But if you just roll with it, it does get better. And there's definitely going to be an existential overarching story at some point, that's hinted at.

My kids have hidden leaf village headbands, so probably best to take my obsessive moaning with a pinch of salt :)

• Upvote 3

On 27/07/2018 at 18:35, Benny said:

New intro and outro (is that word?) are terrible, season 1 and 2 music was amazing. Don't know what went wrong there. But yeah, first episode was a little dull. But I've listened to my wife gasp as she ploughed on ahead with the manga, so am hopeful the anime delivers.

Started Kekkai Sensen. I have no idea what's going on but the animation is out of this world (pun intended I suppose).