rllmuk

If you want something similar, I'd recommend 'Kangoku Senkan'. It's pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Read Blame!, it's by the same author. Battle Angel Alita is also similar in setting.

I've just started watching Haikyu!!. These sports animes are great at this rate I'll never leave the house. Once the Occulus is out next year just hook me up to a drip and broadband!

Thanks to whoever mentioned Planetes earlier in the thread, turns out it was exactly what I've been looking for, hard sci-fi with no aliens, warp drives or magical space mcguffins. A recent rewatch of Str Cops rekindled my desire for something like this and eight episodes in it's been great so far.

Got an Android box for the telly which handles subtitles perfectly so I'm finally getting through all the stuff I've acquired in the last couple of years as well as giving some new stuff a go. Enjoying Knights Of Sidonia and Aldnoah Zero so far, come clever moments in the latter and loving Natsume's Book Of Friends, which has less action and more heart warming than I expected, but is all the better for it.

Also going to get back to my massive Gundam marathon I posted about a year or so back which stalled due to not being able to watch them easily on the telly. Was exactly halfway through 0079 at the time and keen to get back to it.

It's certainly dealt with the exposition issues of the first series. Four episodes in and we have a bunch of knowledge about Sinon and a rudimentary understanding of GGO; IIRC at this stage in SAO I we had spent three episodes on the first floor, then jumped thirty floors by the time the next episode started.

Hmm, might trade in Cruncyroll for Netflix (or something else) after HxH finishes, just not enough stuff on there I'm too interested in... Worth bothering?

Are you insane!? I've been a member of CR for 3 months and I'm watching several episodes of different shows a day. Its packed full of some amazing series and new stuff just keeps flowing out, I even dropped my Netflix account because I never had the time to watch it with all the anime.

Well this is what I've watched on CR: HxH, Jojo: BA, Attack on Titan, Eyeshield 21, Btoom, Watemote, Hajime no Ippo, Akagi, Durarara, Mushishi, Kaiji, Prince of Tennis

What looks appealing; Space Brothers (but it's really long) and that's about it, *maybe* Blassreitter, 07 Ghost, Linebarrels of Iron. I like cunning stuff written well with little bullshit, logical stories etc...

Well this is what I've watched on CR: HxH, Jojo: BA, Attack on Titan, Eyeshield 21, Btoom, Watemote, Hajime no Ippo, Akagi, Durarara, Mushishi, Kaiji, Prince of Tennis

What looks appealing; Space Brothers (but it's really long) and that's about it, *maybe* Blassreitter, 07 Ghost, Linebarrels of Iron. I like cunning stuff written well with little bullshit, logical stories etc...

Ok just a few I've watched and enjoyed on CR recently.... Log Horizon, Sword Art Online, Akame Ga Kill, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, No Game No Life (comedy anime of the year for me), Tonari No Seki-Kun, Love Live, Comic Artist and his assistants (very funny and easy to watch), Black Bullet etc etc. List could go on but there's loads of gems there to get you going.

• Upvote 1

You got through Love Live? I had to turn it off after half an episode as it was doing my head in :)

I've watched the following on Crunchyroll:

Fate/Zero (good)

Sword Art Online (likeable but has issues with pacing)

School Days (the Final Fantasy 13 of anime)

Persona 4 Golden: The Animation (ongoing)

Squid Girl (only watched one episode but pretty charming)

Didn't get on with Love LIve or RWBY, but both seem to be well-regarded.

I've had a few recommendations for Log Horizon too.

By contrast, if you're just subbing to Netflix for anime it's usually a bit pants. However at the moment it has Knights of Sidonia (good), Kill La Kill (haven't watched yet) and Gurren Lagann, which I finished earlier today and I thought was utterly astounding and worth a Netflix sub by itself.

• Upvote 2

That Knights of Sidonia is what attracted me, I've seen the other two but I want the Mrs to see them as well. Speaking of which, we still need to watch Fate/Zero... SAO, I watched a bit of and it was better than I expected, might give it another shot - Log Horrizen I'll investigate and Space Brothers will get a watch. Cheers for the suggestions folks!

• Upvote 1

Stuff on CR I've heard good things about:

Girls und Panzer (despite appearances this is really enjoyable since it's more like a sports anime with tanks than anything else)

Humanity has Declined (middle is meant o be a bit of a dip but overall good)

Kyousogiga

Little Witch Academia

Silver Spoon

The Eccentric Family

Time of Eve

Tsuritama

• Upvote 1

Didn't get on with Love LIve or RWBY, but both seem to be well-regarded.

LL was a great bit of fun I thought, nice way to while away a few episodes. RWBY I just can't be doing with the animation style, only managed a few eps but gave up.

I just found the storyline/dialogue of RWBY so shoddy, didn't stop me watching a good chunk of it. I feel Log Horizon (about 6/7 episodes in) just lacks the drama of SAO due to the respawning thing. Whenever anyone flees a powerful enemy, or is threatened, you just think, they'll respawn anyway... not sure how they'll increase the tension/drama given this.

I just found the storyline/dialogue of RWBY so shoddy

This was my problem with it too. It's full of wisecracks and sass, but neither endear you to the characters and aren't remotely funny either.

I just found the storyline/dialogue of RWBY so shoddy, didn't stop me watching a good chunk of it. I feel Log Horizon (about 6/7 episodes in) just lacks the drama of SAO due to the respawning thing. Whenever anyone flees a powerful enemy, or is threatened, you just think, they'll respawn anyway... not sure how they'll increase the tension/drama given this.

They address that later in the series and its not the infinite spawning stuff you think it is.

Silver Spoon

definitely this

I've 2 eps of School Days left, someone is going to end up dead or in the looneybin. The MC is such a coward, how does he get so much pussy? The basketball club girls are cuuuunts.

• Upvote 1

You can get it on Netflix in glorious 1080p (with unblockus)

You can also use Unblockus to watch Kill La Kill on Crunchyroll. I watched one episode of this on US Netflix (dunno if it'd be different on the UK version, probably not) and found the subtitling not to be as good as Crunchyroll's. Think I'm turning into a snob when I have options :(

HXH this week

Oh god, Gon's old man had a proper smack down laid on him. I thought Leonis was just going to get a bit mad and stomp about but when that first when portal diving I couldn't stop laughing, proper hell yeah moment. Well deserved, the guy is a dick.

• Upvote 1