rllmuk

Yeah, I recall thinking there was some really atrocious art in it. In fact, I would swear they shot some of the cels from the back, if it were hand-drawn.

Can't remember a whole bunch about it, otherwise.

God, FUCK NHK.

Got to the episode where the bloke goes off to that island with the pill-popping bint and the other suicide cases.

It's painful to watch. The main character is a FUCKING IDIOT.

Utter fucking shit.

Only the scores by Yoko Kanno have been published. There isn't enough interest otherwise.

After doing some research I believe this is less to do with interest only being in Yoko Kanno's works and more the general publishing around anime music. For the most part full band scores tend to be for general compilations with fairly few exceptions (which tend to be theme song collections), with most anime music scores dealing with piano which makes sense for various reasons, but also the same amount of it not making sense (time and effort in arranging it). The compilations that do exist are more or less identical, almost every book has the same 30-50% of it's contents consisting of the same songs.

Piano arrangements are more varied and can exist for seemingly minor shows, something that also happens with commercial music score printing in Japan - a comparatively minor artist can easily get piano arrangements but not a straight replication of the actual material.

As far as the original Macross goes, Ai wo omoimasen ka is frequently found in compilations, but isn't close to the most suitable choice to arrange in a band score (the other songs are much more band orientated). I can only put it down to a combination of the age of the material and the lack of commercial music on the soundtrack.

I can understand that this stuff typically has a low level of interest anyway (newer stuff is easier to market), but sometimes the stuff missing seems a lot more marketable than the stuff that is actually printed.

Although thanks to this I've discovered a proper band score exists for Lupin, and not just the first Jazz album, the trouble is finding a copy for sale. Never mind, it's a tribute album score ;)

God, FUCK NHK.

Got to the episode where the bloke goes off to that island with the pill-popping bint and the other suicide cases.

It's painful to watch. The main character is a FUCKING IDIOT.

Utter fucking shit.

The whole point is that he's an idiot. You're not meant to be watching for his sound decision-making skills.

• Upvote 1

Sure, but it doesn't make for interesting viewing. He's so incredibly stupid, I don't care if he recovers from his condition or not.

Started watching NHK tonight, I can't really say the first episode grabbed me but I will carry on with it.

If only to annoy the beautiful Meh :wub:

• Upvote 2

You have to get to the filler-shit episode where they go shopping for utter bullshit, just so you can say you've seen the worst art and animation Gonzo ever put out - the useless twats.

Got Lucas started on anime recently. He loves the Studio Ghibli films (Spirited Away Christmas day!) and adored The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, so much so we got him the Blu-Ray for Christmas.

I just wish he was old enough for something like Akira, but can't wait to introduce him to that in a few years.

I need to find some more child friendly stuff at some point, but tempted by something like Dragon Ball Z in the mean time. What are people's opinions on that for a kid?

DBZ was and I think still may be to some extent, popular with kids. Peoples main criticism was lots of filler, but that doesn't bother kids so much. And if it does, there's the newer "Kai" cut which removes the filler.

Sporting Animes are generally pretty SFW, Eyeshield 21 (American Football) has a lot of exaggerated characters, is pretty good and definitely suitable for kids, Cross Game (Baseball) is brilliant as well and completely safe for kids.

My favorite is probably Major (Baseball again), it's a PG13 though but nothing in my mind really hits me why, perhaps a very infrequent swear word? Same goes for Prince of Tennis.

I really want to suggest Fighting Spirit - it's outstanding, but there's a fair bit horsing around in the showers and some pervy humor... Still feels "wholesome" to me though. Your best bet is probably Eyeshield.

Great stuff again. I don't suppose there is any based around Ice Hockey? Unlikely I know.

Will give those a look over and pre-watch second two to see if they are suitable for him.

Cheers guys, great help.

Bloody hell, the original Yamato got a little silly with the multiple deus ex machina in the last episode.

Finished Code Geass and enjoyed it overall, was a bit disappointed with the OVA as I was hoping for more seemingly mad evilness from Lelouch.

Wanted to try something short and went for Eve No Jikan and thanks to its 15 minutes episodes (there's only 6 with a 30 minute final) I was able to rinse it tonight. Fantastic little mini series which I believe has been turned into a film, but with the way it ended was just crying out for the story to be continued. Worth a watch though.

No idea what to go for next tempted with Mobile Suit Gundam Seed.

So the last two episodes of that destroyed me, blubbing like a bitch. What a series!

Some parts of Kids on the Slope were nice, the general idea was so trodden though. And the main character was such an impotent fool as always, and budding rapist by the end of the eleventh episode I think! I'll watch Beck again I reckon to remind me what a good music/romance anime is supposed to be like.

Not while there isn't a third season of Bible Black, there isn't.

Though I guess there's some relief for fans of Pixie's fantastic brand of storytelling in the form of a live action Taimanin movie - just like is happening with Kenshin, really.

Watched Attack On Titan over the Christmas break, really addictive series. Thought the first half was better tho, the shift in threat took some of the bite out of it for me. Looking forward to the next batch of episodes of course.

Got "Highschool of the Dead" Complete Series and OVA before Christmas. Caught about 4 episodes so far. I have a tendency to go to sleep when putting stuff on to watch. No such problem with this.