rllmuk

Stein's Gate (if you haven't watched it) is really fucking excellent

I just finished the first part on DVD; it was mildly interesting up until then; but the final episode of the first half ends on a cliffhanger that had my jaw on the floor. Did they really just do that?

I just finished the first part on DVD; it was mildly interesting up until then; but the final episode of the first half ends on a cliffhanger that had my jaw on the floor. Did they really just do that?

I thinks so! Although I don't know how many episodes there are on a DVD...

Well, not the first DVD but the first collection that was released on DVD, i.e. I'm at the halfway point in the whole series.

From spoilerish reviews I've read, it sounds like a major point on which the plot hinges, and the show kicks up a gear in the second half as a direct result.

I'm finishing off Bakemonogatari and RahXephon first, but this'll be next on the list.

I saw Wolf Children last night, it's rather lovely isn't it.
Indeed, after a couple of misfires, Ghibli's throne is at risk given Hosada's output. Brilliant stuff.

Just happen to wander by this thread, don't post here much (don't get time to watch much!), and I see a namecheck for both me and the FMP novels! They really are a good read if you take the time to find some fan translations.

Actually recently watched Attack on Titan and have started on Kill La Kill thanks to the thread's recommendations. What have I missed out on in the last year or so that really stands head and shoulders above the rest?

Same here, I watched Attack on Titan recently and it completely hooked me, so I went on to read the manga too. Isayama has a really interesting and unique art style. The manga has really objectively terrible art at the start in terms of things like proportions, but it and grows on you. Also refreshingly different in tone and substance to the generic drivel that comprises the 90% of anime each season.

Just happen to wander by this thread, don't post here much (don't get time to watch much!), and I see a namecheck for both me and the FMP novels! They really are a good read if you take the time to find some fan translations.

Actually recently watched Attack on Titan and have started on Kill La Kill thanks to the thread's recommendations. What have I missed out on in the last year or so that really stands head and shoulders above the rest?

The Fmp Sigma manga is worth a read too. As for anime in the last few years i'd recommend.

Hyouge Mono

Samurai Flamenco

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Chihayafuru

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure

and Sliver spoon

• Upvote 1

Oookay...........there are some very odd people out there.

On the plus side (?) they had a section with 90's "glamour" models. I saw Kyla Cole fleetingly, the wife wasn't impressed.

Did you have problems with a shop called Tokyo Otaku and their convention in Derby? You look familiar...

I had no problems dealing with them, but the bootleg merchandise they sold didn't make them any friends. I still go to Derby every year for J-Con.

I had no problems dealing with them, but the bootleg merchandise they sold didn't make them any friends. I still go to Derby every year for J-Con.

My friend Rob runs that, his shop was next to Otaku and yeah their merchandise was shit, used to be mates with the owner but well; he's a bit of a wanker - gone through two relationships blowing up his other halves savings trying to run his shop... It's just ego really, he likes the attention the shop gives him - completely the wrong attitude for a business.

He doesn't have anything to do with J-con now as you probably know, think he tried to make it in Burton as a sex shop lol. Also I've probably spoke to you a couple of times at J-Con, small world!

If anyone else is interested, Crunchyroll are offering their Black Friday Special sale on membership again -

£43 gets you 12 months of All Access Membership (Anime, Drama & Manga) + $15 store credit -

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/80042/12-Month-All-Access-Membership-15-Store-Credit

£31 gets you 12 months of Anime Membership -

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/80072/12-Month-Anime-Membership

These memberships last 360 days so remember to cancel it before the renewal date otherwise the auto-billing kicks in.

Deal expires in about 57 hours from the time of this post.

• Upvote 2

Anyone else watching Samurai Flamenco? If not, you might want to start. Episode 8 was just released.

A show which built upon its premise slowly week by week (Link reviews the first 6 episodes) -

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/samurai-flamenco/episodes-1

THEN episode 7 happened...(link has spoilers)

http://www.japanator.com/annotated-anime-samurai-flamenco-ep-7-30508.phtml

Never saw THAT coming. 'WTF?' is the best & only way to describe it.

Been working my way through Black Lagoon, up to episode 17. It's okay the action bits are good but the whole thing just feels a bit disjointed feels like it needs a bigger plot to tie it all together. At the point of giving up as I know there's a second series but a spoiler free review said its less about characters and more on the jobs. :(

Still waiting to see this years two, but another Ghibli movie has been announced for next year. Hiromasa Yonebayashi (The Secret World of Arrietty) is directing an adaptation of 1967 English novel When Marnie was There (Omoide no Marnie) by Joan G. Robinson.

Publishers description of the book

Anna hasn't a friend in the world - until she meets Marnie among the sand dunes. But Marnie isn't all she seems...An atmospheric ghost story with truths to tell about friendship, families and loneliness. Anna lives with foster parents, a misfit with no friends, always on the outside of things. Then she is sent to Norfolk to stay with old Mr and Mrs Pegg, where she runs wild on the sand dunes and around the water. There is a house, the Marsh House, which she feels she recognises - and she soon meets a strange little girl called Marnie, who becomes Anna's first ever friend. Then one day, Marnie vanishes. A new family, the Lindsays, move into the Marsh House. Having learnt so much from Marnie about friendship, Anna makes firm friends with the Lindsays - and learns some strange truths about Marnie, who was not all she seemed...

Concept image

bg-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jesus, they keep doing adaptations of British children's books and then keep not doing an adaptation of His Dark Materials which is basically the film I most want in the world.

• Upvote 1

Jesus, they keep doing adaptations of British children's books and then keep not doing an adaptation of His Dark Materials which is basically the film I most want in the world.

To be fair, after the travesty that was Howl's Moving Castle (and hearing very bad things about Tales of Earthsea), I'm not entirely convinced that Ghibli has a good handle on adaptations of British children's books. They did well with Kiki's Delivery Service, but I've not read the source material so I have no idea how many liberties were taken with it.

In other news, there's a live-action version of that coming out soon.

• Upvote 1

I'm not entirely convinced that Ghibli has a good handle on adaptations of British children's books.

Surely Arrietty was well received and that was an adaption of a British book (The Borrowers).

Compared to the original book it was. It tossed out half the plot and added all that bollocks about Howl fighting some random war. :angry:

Different universe / timelines too. The original and zeta is ace, double zeta not so much. Char is a bad ass

• Upvote 1

I will pay £5 if someone can fine me a midi, tab or sheet music of "Runner" from the original Macross. I can find every other song from the original apart from the bloody end theme!

While official sheet music is easy to come across for Macross 7 and Frontier, for some reason it doesn't exist for the original. :hmm:

While official sheet music is easy to come across for Macross 7 and Frontier, for some reason it doesn't exist for the original. :hmm:

Only the scores by Yoko Kanno have been published. There isn't enough interest otherwise.

So, eight episodes into Welcome to the NHK.

I meant to get round to it when it first came out, and it's alright, I guess. Episode... 3, I think it was, was one of the most badly-drawn episodes of anything I've ever watched, though. Hell, the whole thing was filler-shit.