rllmuk

After a long break from watching anime I rewatched Cowboy Bebop all through the week and have now started Naruto for the first time today..............how many episodes are there!?!? That's me busy for a few months.

220 in the first series and seems to be 325 so far in Naruto Shippuuden.

Well there are 135 episodes of the first Naruto series, then it starts again at 220 ;)

Shippuden is more complex although the filler is a lot more tolerable as it fits into the canon material far better (compare to the nonsense of say, Bleach), and some of it is even decent. Although I would watch each season at a time as it breaks down nicely that way and you can fit something in between them to get a change of scenery.

The original series has some great pacing and structure for those 135 episodes. Once the exam arc starts it has very little downtime all the way through. Even when it slows down a bit, the volume of characters means something is always happening in character development if not action.

• Upvote 1

I've started watching Attack on Titan. It's 50% shouting and 50% crying. Sometimes the shouting and crying happens at the same time. I really want to find out what the deal is with the titans but I'm not sure I can cope with all the overwrought melodrama.

I find it a little slow, it's like you get 1 nugget of information an episode - no more. It's kind of like when One Piece is catching up to the Manga, you get the odd grouping of slow episodes - but that's a massive series.

Perhaps Hunter X Hunter has spoiled me, for saying it's been going on for almost a 100 episodes now - it really hasn't had many non-balls-to-the-wall episodes.

I've started watching Attack on Titan. It's 50% shouting and 50% crying. Sometimes the shouting and crying happens at the same time. I really want to find out what the deal is with the titans but I'm not sure I can cope with all the overwrought melodrama.

Would it help to explain that the Director is Araki, the same man who directed Death Note and respnsible of the over top scenes like the potato chip scene.

I've just crossed another film off my list of anime to catch up on. This time, it was 009 Re:Cyborg.

I don't think it's very good. In fact, I think it's pretty terrible, mostly due to the way the film ends.

The general premise is that there's some kind of global conspiracy and that the good guys are trying to stop the bad guys. That's all fine.

Come the finale...

...the whole conspiracy / good guys / bad guys thing is at best partially resolved and at worst entirely ignored. Instead, the film's grand conclusion (and revelation) is basically that God exists. That's it. The end.

It's quite a lot like watching the Eva TV series without End of Evangelion.

Disappointing/10

I don't know why anyone would watch something that looks so far up its own arse, it makes GitS: Innocence look light-hearted and full of joy.

At least, that's the impression I've gotten from everything I've seen of it.

The impression I got was that it would be an action movie with a dose of mystery and intrigue, which is exactly what it was until it shit the bed towards the end. I know Kenji Kamiyama likes to get wordy and philosophical at times but even so, I expected better.

I wonder which character he'll get to spunk over Nausicaa while she's in a coma.

EDIT: Actually he should have an Ohmu do it. It would add an element of danger because she could drown.

Been watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, no knowlege prior and I'm still enjoying it... It's very odd for a series of 2012, as in it's very much like Fist of the North Star or Berserk in it's wooden, retro dialogue and actoin. I think it's a plus in a way, I'm assuming it's because it's directly copying the manga, half way through I'm sure there's a definite leap the "age" of the writing - feels like a decade has passed between the writing of the 2 halves.

It's good! The characters in the second half are more interesting too and the action is retro - but not quite as over-the-top as FotNS which is a shame.

Well JoJo part 1 is a shameless FotnS rip off its cheesy, wooden but its still extremely enjoyable. Part 2 is much better and will only get more over the top as it continues.

SLA have announced what's on in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Glasgow - October 11th – 13th, Glasgow Film Theatre

Place Promised in Our Early Days

Life of Budori Guskou

Hunter x Hunter - Phantom Rouge

Patema Inverted

MYSTERY FILM

Fuse

Perfect Blue

Eva 3.0

Guest - Jonathan Clements

Edinburgh - October 14th – 20th, Edinburgh Filmhouse

Hal + MYSTERY OVA