The latest two episodes (17 & 18) are incredible!

I literally shouted "NO!" at the TV when 18 finished. So good!

I haven't really watched any anime for about ten years, the last series I watcheed before Attack on Titan was GiTS:SAC :facepalm: Can anyone recommend any other good sci-fi series? I'm about to start Ergo Proxy...

Ergo Proxy generally gets unfavorably reviews for being unnecessarily pretentious and feeling overall rushed but I still have a soft spot for it.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a very well regarded space opera and the Crest/Banner of the Stars series is also quite good. PlanetES is also very good space setting series. For time travel there's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and more recently Steins;Gate and if you can deal with over the top bombast mecha action, there's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

On a side note, I've just seen the first two episode of Uchoten Kazoku. While the character design may be off putting to some, it's ridiculous how vibrant the show looks. It's based on a series by the authour of The Tatami Galaxy as well.

Love Ergo Proxy, brilliant series - dark and stark in nature but really, really good.

Again Steins Gate has massive and surprising shifts in tone - really great and you'd be forgiven at first for thinking it would just be a generic light love story but it's definitely not.

Gankutsou - whilst the story's not Sci-fi really it is an amazing series and has the strangest art which takes a little to get used to but is really beautiful once you settle. It's set in the future and is a bit like Boardwalk Empire in a way.

Evangellion the original TV Series and the remakes are both pretty good and fairly different - I'd recommend watching the TV series first because the Remake isn't finished and we don't know how it's going to end.

Fractale? Promising start but ends up a bit of a mess, I'm afraid. Short, too.

The Mardock Scramble movies? First two are out.

If you like steampunk stylings, Last Exile was recently re-released; I quite enjoyed it, slightly clunky CGI and light romantic stylings aside.

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, watch FLCL. No, it's not cyberpunk; it does have robots, but it's not very SF; it is brilliant.

where is the anime up to?

They're on their way to Eren's house to check out what's in the basement and seeing what they can do about retaking the wall. And they're getting their arses handed to them by some intelligent running Titan who appears to be specifically after Eren. And she's caught up.

Thanks all :)

Is there anything recent which is more cyberpunk(ish) than space opera worth checking out?

Psyho-Pass was fairly recent about a Minority Report-esque system. Bit of a love it or hate it series. Time of Eve (movie) is about the idea of humanoid robots gaining their own emotions and free will. Dennou Coil which is about a group children exploring mysteries in a world where the digital and real has combined and also Texnolyze which is about...well...

The most recent would be the first episode of a new Ghost in the shell series called Arise.

Zavvi put up a cover image for Perfect Blue. But there's a pair of nipples on display (NSFW, I guess). Can they put that on shop shelves?

I'm not sure what the rules are but I have assume the answer is no. Maybe nobody will notice? It's quite subtle.

On a side note, I've just seen the first two episode of Uchoten Kazoku. While the character design may be off putting to some, it's ridiculous how vibrant the show looks. It's based on a series by the authour of The Tatami Galaxy as well.

I've watched three episodes so far and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I was quite taken aback by just how closely the OP mirrors that of the The Tatami Galaxy. Clearly TTG was a big source of inspiration.

I like how casually weird Uchoten Kazoku is and the characters are interesting enough but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. As you say though, it's from the author of The Tatami Galaxy so I'm hoping it'll be worth sticking with.

While it's lacking a central story beyond the daily lives of the three groups, I find that the characters prove an interesting enough draw to keep me watching. It's not really all that often that you find a group of characters that appear to have motivations beyond their usual stereotypical character archetypes like tsundere or energetic or such. Benten is particularly fascinating because she's so enigmatic and filled with mystery.

Plus it's nice to have a show with no obvious or overt drive like everyone trying to hump the main character or giant mechs or overly forced romance drama. That and aside from some off-model character shots and slightly dodgy cg in places, it looks fucking lovely.

where is the anime up to?

They just entered the forest full of giant trees for no apparent reason, and in the last second Levi says "Cover your ears" and presses something. Roll credits and rage

Psyho-Pass was fairly recent about a Minority Report-esque system. Bit of a love it or hate it series. Time of Eve (movie) is about the idea of humanoid robots gaining their own emotions and free will. Dennou Coil which is about a group children exploring mysteries in a world where the digital and real has combined and also Texnolyze which is about...well...

The most recent would be the first episode of a new Ghost in the shell series called Arise.

Cheers, will check those out!

While it's lacking a central story beyond the daily lives of the three groups, I find that the characters prove an interesting enough draw to keep me watching. It's not really all that often that you find a group of characters that appear to have motivations beyond their usual stereotypical character archetypes like tsundere or energetic or such. Benten is particularly fascinating because she's so enigmatic and filled with mystery.

Plus it's nice to have a show with no obvious or overt drive like everyone trying to hump the main character or giant mechs or overly forced romance drama. That and aside from some off-model character shots and slightly dodgy cg in places, it looks fucking lovely.

Having seen episodes four, five and six, I'm enjoying it a lot more. The Fire Festival episode was thoroughly entertaining, plus I've now got a much better idea of who all these characters are and how they relate to each other, which helps quite a lot.

After a long break from watching anime I rewatched Cowboy Bebop all through the week and have now started Naruto for the first time today..............how many episodes are there!?!? That's me busy for a few months.

220 in the first series and seems to be 325 so far in Naruto Shippuuden.

Well there are 135 episodes of the first Naruto series, then it starts again at 220 ;)

Shippuden is more complex although the filler is a lot more tolerable as it fits into the canon material far better (compare to the nonsense of say, Bleach), and some of it is even decent. Although I would watch each season at a time as it breaks down nicely that way and you can fit something in between them to get a change of scenery.

The original series has some great pacing and structure for those 135 episodes. Once the exam arc starts it has very little downtime all the way through. Even when it slows down a bit, the volume of characters means something is always happening in character development if not action.

I've started watching Attack on Titan. It's 50% shouting and 50% crying. Sometimes the shouting and crying happens at the same time. I really want to find out what the deal is with the titans but I'm not sure I can cope with all the overwrought melodrama.

I find it a little slow, it's like you get 1 nugget of information an episode - no more. It's kind of like when One Piece is catching up to the Manga, you get the odd grouping of slow episodes - but that's a massive series.

Perhaps Hunter X Hunter has spoiled me, for saying it's been going on for almost a 100 episodes now - it really hasn't had many non-balls-to-the-wall episodes.

I've started watching Attack on Titan. It's 50% shouting and 50% crying. Sometimes the shouting and crying happens at the same time. I really want to find out what the deal is with the titans but I'm not sure I can cope with all the overwrought melodrama.

Would it help to explain that the Director is Araki, the same man who directed Death Note and respnsible of the over top scenes like the potato chip scene.