Supposedly the movies are a bit of a step up but yeah, I don't really rate Frontier high aside from the music. Worth looking out the soundtracks for the movies though; they add a few new decent songs and remixes.

Also, I thought Zero was the shortest? Or even Plus?

I really hope whatever they come up with for the next Macross show is more faithful to the spirit of previous series, like the Macross equivalent of Gundam Unicorn, but without all the bullshit. Probably won't happen though.

If Frontier is indicative of the direction they want to take future installments in, then count me the fuck out. I know that, at the end of the day, it's 'technically' a kids' show, but so was the original Macross - and that's fucking leagues ahead.

Really excited that the first half of Cowboy Bebop has been finally been released on Blu Ray here in the UK, only for £25 too!

I've still got my original UK DVD Box sets of Cowboy Bebop on DVD, does anyone know a good and fair price to put them up for?

Original or the remastered Beez Anime Legends release with the 5.1 soundtrack?

Ah, you said 'sets', so probably the originals with the six individual DVD cases in two slipcases - the Beez release was a single box release containing 6 disks.

I don't have the answer, but it may have a bearing on the price.

It was the original Beez release that was a Part 1 / Part 2 Box set.

I know it was going for some money a little while ago so thought this was one of the few DVD's I won't just give to a charity shop or throw!

I adore Bebop and think not a single Anime has surpassed the TV show or Movie, it's just a sublime production and thought it would never get a Blu Ray release so held onto the DVD.

Just checked, first was also Beez, so yeah, that must be the one - the remaster was put out quite a bit later under the 'Anime Legends' banner (also Beez, not long before they closed down).

I bought both, but I think the remaster is still in the shrinkwrap!

Champloo has been out in the US, region free, since 2009. It's an upscale though, but I think it will never be more than an upscale, IIRC. And the sound is good too. Plus the discs look like records.

This fake actually looks better than the live action Dragonball. Really well done.

Also this weeks HxH - the king is not a nice man! Also I love the ark the main characters have been on in this story - it's been great!

• Upvote 1

Daisuke.net have put up some of their free to view anime on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DAISUKI?feature=watch

Not all of the free shows available at https://www.daisuki.net/ but a decent enough selection...unless you've seen them all already.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Sword Art Online

School Days

The Monogatari series

Mobile Suit Gundam Z

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED HD Remaster

• Upvote 3

Sweet! thanks for that, been meaning to check out SAO.

Currently watching:

• Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
  • Suisei no Garugantia ( Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet)
  • Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! (No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!)

:)

• Upvote 1

I've just watched the first episode of Gatchaman Crowds, which is based on Science Ninja Team Gatchaman ( I knew it as Battle of the Planets that I used to watch as a child.)

About 5:09 into the episode I was like wtf, is that guy unlocking her powers or giving her an orgasm :blink:

I have the first three boxsets of the original Gatchaman and really wished I'd bought the remaining ones before they went OOP :doh:

Has anyone watched "The Garden of Words"? by Makoto Shinkai? It's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. It's also a bit sappy, but I'm a bit of a sap, so I enjoyed it.

I watched it a few days ago and while I enjoyed it for the most part, I thought it was sort of disappointing. I really liked the quiet, understated tone of the film but then at the end, all that was thrown out the window amidst a massive outpouring of melodrama. I can see why Shinkai would have done that but still, it didn't really work for me.

As you say though, the whole thing looked utterly astounding. Can't fault him there.

I finally watched The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki. I thought it was wonderful.

The whole thing was a lot more grown up than I was expecting. I'd imagined the film would be a fun, Summer Wars-style romp but instead, it was much more serious and really didn't shy away from the hardships of raising children under some very unusual and difficult circumstances.

I was surprised how gut-wrenching it was at times. Early on, it was more than a little reminiscent of Grave of the Fireflies, what with the increasingly desperate situation leading to increasingly desperate measures, forcing Hana and the children to live out in the country away from civilization with no one to depend upon.

Aside from some slightly jarring CG, I loved the look of the film, particularly the animation. It's sort of stylised but at the same time there's something really naturalistic about the way the characters move. It's fantastic stuff.

A new Shinichiro Watanabe show! A comedy named Space Dandy.

Made at Bones and begins airing in January. About an alien hunter who is "the dandiest man in space".

Well he certainly looks the part. It'll be interesting to see how this thing turns out.

Don't know how this slipped by, apologies if this is a repost. Trailer for new film called "Patema Inverted" by the guy who did Time of Eve!

They released a series of short episodes I think last year(?) which were basically 5-10 minute segments from the first part of the film looks like. It's a pretty interesting looking film!

Glad to hear you enjoyed Wolf Children Snowman. It's a fantastic film.

I thought the first episode of homoerotic swimming bonanza Free! was hilarious. I quite admire how it nonchalantly it's flipped gender roles for anime "service" type shots and the like. I'm pretty sure the opening "flashback" had them all talking in women's voices on purpose.

lso I watched the first episode of Danganronpa on somebody's recommendation here (I forget whose, sorry), and wasn't massively impressed tbh. I like the premise, but so far the art style is really putting me off. I'll give it a couple more eps to get interesting though I think.

Free is great, for the most part is just happy with tons of gay fanservice. (although no one will actually BE gay, because...I'm never quite sure why queer baiting happens).

I'm still watching Danganronpa, but the anime has none of the detail or characterisation that the game had- its only going through the murders but with not enough time spent on why you should care if any of them die.