rllmuk

Ok, Gundam then. I've seen most of 00 and the first couple of episodes of Seed and Unicorn and I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 a bunch, which would people say are the essential series to watch. I was thinking original, 0083 and Char's Counterattack but would appreciate any recommendations.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is by the same guy who did Summer Wars, and is, IMO, better.

It's a lovely story.

Hey guys. Looking for some anime recommendations!

I've only seen Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Paprika and Summer Wars :)

If you intend to watch the other Miyazaki films, don't miss Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. In fact, I strongly recommend making that your next Miyazaki viewing. It's quite a contrast to Princess Mononoke despite being similar thematically. And influenced many, many videogames. :)

• Upvote 1

If you're able to play softsub .mkvs, Wolf Children his third film is out and it's absolutely fantastic and easily a match for both.

(On a sidenote, still noone in this thread has mentioned watching it yet ffffff)

Argh, I know. it's been sitting on my hard drive for ages. I've been too busy catching up on other stuff.

Original is 10x better than 00

Getting kicked in the balls is 10x better than 00. I will forever loathe myself for watching the whole thing.

That reminds me; I watched the latest episode of Unicorn and I can't help but feel it's taken a bit of a nose dive. It felt like the episode was composed entirely of Basil Exposition with all the characters explaining their motives to each other in painstaking detail. It was incredibly tedious and a far cry from the excellence of the early episodes.

I did see Wolf Children. Yeah, it was good, though perhaps not as "fun" as the other two.

I remember enjoying Gundam 00, but it was among the first shows I watched from downloading weekly and my first Gundam, so I hadn't anything else in the series to compare it to. It was silly, with some mental twists, but that's sort of what I wanted from it at the time. Most of the cast crying over something every five minutes just made me laugh rather than get annoyed. But then it seems many Gundam shows suffer from everyone crying over something most of the time.

Ok, Gundam then. I've seen most of 00 and the first couple of episodes of Seed and Unicorn and I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 a bunch, which would people say are the essential series to watch. I was thinking original, 0083 and Char's Counterattack but would appreciate any recommendations.

Don't forget Zeta, war in the pocket and the 08th MS team.

Collider has a couple of stills from Miyazaki's next movie. And on the same page, the Ghibli produced live action short that played with Eva 3, Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo. Though I can see that been taken down as it has been elsewhere. And my first thought on the monster was Duane Dibbley.

hayao-miyazaki-the-wind-rises.jpg

hayao-miyazaki-the-wind-rises-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cmon Gainax, WILLIE? :D

Quick notes

Evangelion 3.33 was marvellous.

Did anyone get a FF7 vibe from the ship?

ASUKA IS AWESOME!!!!

Battle scenes were eyegasm candy, god how do these people storyboard this stuff?

Thanks for the Gundam recommendations, looks like I'm going to start from the start and attempt to run through most of the UC continuity stuff, most of the character/mech designs I like from Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 seem to be from 0079/Zeta.

Like JohnC, Gundam 00 was my first proper gundam experience and one of the first series I followed as it went on, I only got a few episodes into S2 but enjoyed it despite its craziness.

Loving the first two eps of 0079, the style looks slightly dated but everything else holds up pretty well.

If you think the series is too long, the three movies are a nice condensed version of the story. I've no inclination to watch the series again, but i've rewatched the movies a couple of times.

If you think the series is too long, the three movies are a nice condensed version of the story. I've no inclination to watch the series again, but i've rewatched the movies a couple of times.

The movies are superior for me as they cut out the fluff so to speak in the original tv series.

In case people haven't seen this, amazing Lego Eva 01!

tumblr_mlwmarEJW91r734fwo1_400.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodoumoko/

Think I need to rewatch 3.33 very shortly. I enjoyed it a lot and actually welcomed the massive departure, also I love that Anno can get away with making such a big film that is still full of completely mental concepts and out-there animation. My biggest criticism is that the pacing was bad - especially towards the end where I had trouble trying to keep on top of what was happening. A lot of the characters didn't get much screen time at all but I guess that was the cost of building the relationship between Kaworu and Shinji, I imagine/hope that'll be covered next. It did feel like it was part one of the final film - though not necessarily a bad thing, I'm hoping that 4.0 is gonna be the sort of film that'll stay in my mind for ages like End of Eva did.

• Upvote 1

Another vote here for the first three Gundam movies.

Each of the three movies is largely composed of old footage from the TV series, however Tomino felt that some things could be changed for the better. Tomino removed several aspects of the show which he felt were still too super robot-esque for the real robot series he intended Gundam to be, such as the Gundam Hammer weapon. The G-Armor upgrade parts were also completely removed and replaced in the narrative by the more realistic Core Booster support fighters, and Hayato receives a RX-77 Guncannon at Jaburo to replace the disadvantaged RX-75 Guntank. The third movie also includes a substantial amount of new footage expanding on the battles of Solomon and A Baoa Qu.

In 1998, the three compilation movies were first released for directly to VHS subtitled into English as part of Bandai's AnimeVillage releases, which makes them among the first Gundam works released in English. The movies were released again in North America on May 7, 2002 in DVD format, available separately or in a boxed set. These are also available only with re-done Japanese audio with English subtitles, the DVDs identical to the 20th anniversary release of the movie compilation in Japan. The original Japanese voice cast members rerecorded their lines with the exception of those who were deceased. The 20th anniversary release was digitally remastered and many of the sound effects were replaced, most notably the futuristic gun sounds being replaced by louder machine gun sound effects. Also, the music soundtrack, while not remixed was rearranged and in some cases removed from some scenes. The vocal songs are rearranged also, especially in the closing credits of the second and third movies.

Like LaParka said, doubt I'd ever watch all 43 episodes of the series but the reworked movies are excellent and I watch them every few years, followed by 08th MS Team.

It did feel like it was part one of the final film - though not necessarily a bad thing,

That was the original plan wasn't it, for 3.0 and 4.0 to be released at the same time? End of Eva was two distinct separate films shown back to back as well, although shorter in run time.

I forgot to order 2.22 on BD during the week so I have to wait until next weekend to watch 3.33 now :rolleyes: I've not seen 2.22 since it's online release.

At this point in time is it worth watching the original series of Eva (along with End of Eva) or should I just watch the films and pretend that the series never happened?

Thought it was more suitable to post here than on the Cosplaying thread as I need some ideas from Anime.

Trying to think of what character to make a Kigurumi of to wear at an anime convention this summer. I've always wanted to make one and I figured it was the cutest, most comfortable and better looking option than a costume of something not suited to my bigger size.

Never made a costume which involved so much sewing before but I'm not too bad with my crafting so it shouldn't be a mammoth task.

So what character? I have had a few ideas like Doraemon with a big metal bell around the neck and big pocket, Kyubey from Madoka which is a bit harder with the long ear flap things but awesome, or maybe a Tanuki suit as I bought a Mario hat a while ago when I was thinking of making a rideable Yoshi but realised it would be too bulky to store in my apartment.

Any other ideas? I don't want to be Pikachu as they are everywhere and as much as I like Psyduck the beak would become very annoying on the hood.

I also suggest watching the series and End of Eva first. Skipping them will result in a wildly different experience.

Just don't watch the dub'. Even though it does have Meh's favourite voice actress.

Blobcat, are you a whizz with paper mache?

Could go as Yubaba from Spirited Away

LOL I'm not THAT big (or short) and I could probably pull of a giant head of paper mache, as that's how I was going to do the head for the rideable Yoshi but yet again its a case of storage or possibly selling off.

As for Eva, I watched about a 3rd of the anime (dubbed ) before watching Death and Rebirth then End of Eva years ago.

Recently watched the whole series subbed which was much better (Shinji isn't soooooo whiny). Love Asuka's fight scene in End of Eva...its a gorgeous piece of animation (and don't get me stated on the music!)

At this point in time is it worth watching the original series of Eva (along with End of Eva) or should I just watch the films and pretend that the series never happened?

Series > Death & Rebirth > End of Evangelion > Rebuild.

Don't bother watching Death and Rebirth though.

if I remember the commentary was interesting to warrant a listen at least.