rllmuk

I have just seen the greatest anime ever made - the greatest story ever told in it's entirety.

Berserk. By rights, this should be the new bible. It's not just excellent. Cowboy Bebop is an excellent anime. Berserk has totally, 100% reinvigorated my love for anime.

I just can't believe how good this series is. I honestly believe this is the best anime ever made, by leaps and bounds.

Beg, borrow, steal to watch this anime. It'll be the most significant thing you do for quite some time.

Yeah i know what you mean... even a mono volume 6 didnt make me enjoy it any less... i must get the manga... and one great extra on the usa dvds are the dub outtakes (i watch subbed but the dub ottakes are soo good) "get to the chopper!!! do it!!!! do it now!!!" lol.....

I have just this very minute bought the manga, and as soon as funds permit, I'll be buying the R1 DVDs.

It's absolutely criminal that this series hasn't made it to the UK yet, especially when you consider the dross that manages to creep its way onto our shores.

Hmm. I nearly bought this while I was in Oz, but it never really attracted me. What's so great about it? Comparisons to other series would be nice :P

(I didn't get it because I've always assumed it was nothing more than another action/fantasy series)

You might think of me as being evasive, but their truly isn't a sufficient dictionary for me to describe just how fantastic this anime is.

And any description I give just wouldn't do it justice. For the past year or so, I've grown tired of anime, having to sit through piles and piles of crap wondering why they can't just come up with something interesting. Even with Fruits Basket inherent quality, it's a comedy and thus isn't going to really change my view that the anime that the UK is exposed to is borderline generic tosh.

Today, on watching the final episode of the anime series, my faith in the whole medium has been restored. If the Japanese can make anime of this quality, then there's still hope.

And whilst I don't think I can live and breathe anime anymore, I'm not sure I'll need to: Berserk and the sequel (in manga form) will probably be enough for me.

Words. Cannot. Describe.

Guess what I read today. :)

Um... not a clue.

Care to expand upon that? :D

Preacher: Ah, I might give it a look in then.

And hey, there are some decent UK released anime. Like, er, the Patlabor films and Serial Experiments Lain! And... um... well, Ghost in the Shell's not bad! And the same goes for Neon Genesis Evangelion and Roujin Z!

Actually... :lol:

Re: Read or Die - nice quality graphics, shame about the typically well-endowed female characters and pointless shoujo-ai though.

Decent though, and certainly worth a quick blast. I'm vaguely interested in seeing how the TV series worked out (even though they dumped Yomiko for it)

Re: Read or Die - nice quality graphics, shame about the typically well-endowed female characters and pointless shoujo-ai though.

Decent though, and certainly worth a quick blast. I'm vaguely interested in seeing how the TV series worked out (even though they dumped Yomiko for it)

The TV series is pretty good actually.

teh Pir4tes!

Read or Die is utterly average if you can see past the lovely animation. Seriously, for a relatively recent OVA what were you expecting on the visual front?

The biggest problem for me was the lack of character development in Read or Die. Other than a brief introduction and some uninspired moments of plot exposition, the characters play second fiddle to what is essentially a 26 episode story compacted into 90 minutes.

Which pretty much equates to an all-round average effort.

Not a fan in the slightest I'm afraid. My copy languishes on the shelf gathering dust.

Im having a guess here but it could be one of the many episodes of evangelion... they did use shots like that ...

i think i agree with Preacher on Read or die... i herd a lot of great stuff about it.. but when i saw it i thouht it was good... but not amazing, but i do think i enjoyed it more than Preacher did :( (its not been neglectyed to the dusty shelf as yet)...

teh Pir4tes!

Read or Die is utterly average if you can see past the lovely animation. Seriously, for a relatively recent OVA what were you expecting on the visual front?

The biggest problem for me was the lack of character development in Read or Die. Other than a brief introduction and some uninspired moments of plot exposition, the characters play second fiddle to what is essentially a 26 episode story compacted into 90 minutes.

Which pretty much equates to an all-round average effort.

Not a fan in the slightest I'm afraid. My copy languishes on the shelf gathering dust.

But... combat librarians! Origami extended to superpower abilities! A secret lift in the middle of the British Library reading room (or rather, the old library in the British Museum)! The name! All these things make Read Or Die fucking fantastic. And there is character development in the (lesbian?) relationship between Yomiko and Ms Deep. So there.

The TV series is also pretty good, much more character based than the OVA, but has much worse animation and art, and it just doesn't have as many cool ideas as the OVA. It also takes itself a bit too seriously. It's still good though.

Other stuff I've seen recently that was good: Magical Shopping Precinct. It's (AFAIK) Gainax's latest series, and thankfully, unlike most of their series they managed to budget themselves so that they didn't run out of money at the end and have to run some shitty line drawings instead of proper episodes and claim it's arty. Ahem. No, instead it's the story of these two kids who end up warping into alternate universe equivelents of this shopping precinct where they live, each one being a massive parody of something or other, from RPGs, Sci-fi anime, Tokimeki Memorial, and Hollywood movies (probably the only anime episode I've ever seen that references Terminator 2, Indiana Jones, Back To The Future and pretty much every famous Hollywood film ever made). Anyway, it's great fun, and pretty moving too.

Also, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is pretty good. At first it seems like just another formuleic high school romance affair, but after the second episode it turns into something a lot more mature and interesting.

Also, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is pretty good. At first it seems like just another formuleic high school romance affair, but after the second episode it turns into something a lot more mature and interesting.

Agreed.

My friend recommended it too me and I now have a love of romance animes :)

Speaking of Gainax there new series Konomini (I am not spelling out the proper name) seems Ok. Only 2 episodes into it mind.

Ah, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is great fun. Haven't gotten around to watching the entire series yet but it's nice to see another series from the production team behind FLCL.

Im having a guess here but it could be one of the many episodes of evangelion... they did use shots like that ...

We tried that, I think that's what he wanted us to guess.

And it was wrong.

:)

I watched Spirited Away this morning. Fucking ace :)

And that's all I'm going to say.

I beleive the appropriate response to Spirited away is "Holy crap!"

Also you have teh best avatar evar!

The english dub on Serial Experiment is pretty piss poor. I watched 2 episodes then stopped. Really should try again with the subtitles. One day, one day.

Can I just recomend Macross Plus. Fantantamous. I love it. Also Dragon Half may be the funniest thing ever. TRUFAX.

TTFN

I beleive the appropriate response to Spirited away is "Holy crap!"

Also you have teh best avatar evar!

The english dub on Serial Experiment is pretty piss poor. I watched 2 episodes then stopped. Really should try again with the subtitles. One day, one day.

Can I just recomend Macross Plus. Fantantamous. I love it. Also Dragon Half may be the funniest thing ever. TRUFAX.

TTFN

Macross Plus is a wonderful, beautiful thing. Shame about Manga's DVD box-set. *cracks up at the wrongly labelled discs and worse-than-VHS quality of the Movie disc*

You might think of me as being evasive, but their truly isn't a sufficient dictionary for me to describe just how fantastic this anime is.

And any description I give just wouldn't do it justice. For the past year or so, I've grown tired of anime, having to sit through piles and piles of crap wondering why they can't just come up with something interesting. Even with Fruits Basket inherent quality, it's a comedy and thus isn't going to really change my view that the anime that the UK is exposed to is borderline generic tosh.

Today, on watching the final episode of the anime series, my faith in the whole medium has been restored. If the Japanese can make anime of this quality, then there's still hope.

And whilst I don't think I can live and breathe anime anymore, I'm not sure I'll need to: Berserk and the sequel (in manga form) will probably be enough for me.

Words. Cannot. Describe.

You sound like you love it almost as much as me.

I know I'm being annoying by praising this out in every anime thread, I don't care but listen to this guy. There truely is NO anime that is similar to Berserk, it is a work of genius, sometimes so good that it is truely terrifying.

BUT, and here's a big but, as incredible as the anime is, the manga (now upto volume 25) is truely the greatest story ever told. Compared to the manga, the anime is merely the prologue to the story. It is fucking amazing.

Again, I'm being annoying, because I say this in every anime thread.

I'm not normally this nice, but I would seriously be willing to burn the translated scans for anyone who can't download it, just so more people can appreciate the marvellousness of the Berserk story.

And Preacher, once you've read upto the latest volume of the manga, you will think the world has gone loony and that there is no more justice in the world, because the anime stops after only 25 episodes and doesn't continue the story.

BTW, nice avatar eh?

You sound like you love it almost as much as me.

I know I'm being annoying by praising this out in every anime thread, I don't care but listen to this guy. There truely is NO anime that is similar to Berserk, it is a work of genius, sometimes so good that it is truely terrifying.

Big up the Berserk fans. Such is it's significance it has its own thread.

And honestly, my words are nothing more than the damn truth. You'd be saying the same thing were you to watch it yourself.

Watch this anime now. By any means possible. I fucking mean it.

EDIT - and whilst I remember, download the soundtrack, too, specifically "forces", "guts theme", "earth", and "murder".

And that's just for starters. The OST is absolutely gorgeous, and when heard in context of the anime, you'll know.

You'll know

Big up the Berserk fans. Such is it's significance it has its own thread.

And honestly, my words are nothing more than the damn truth. You'd be saying the same thing were you to watch it yourself.

Watch this anime now. By any means possible. I fucking mean it.

EDIT - and whilst I remember, download the soundtrack, too, specifically "forces", "guts theme", "earth", and "murder".

And that's just for starters. The OST is absolutely gorgeous, and when heard in context of the anime, you'll know.

You'll know

Right, you CUNT. Time to order me some DVDs then, INNIT?

Grrr, bloody money, etc.